October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
08 Sep 2021 11:46 #326368 by southernman
Well the latest beautiful narrative adventure crawler, Agemonia, kicked off this week but it may not get as much backing as people expected - although doing OK at the moment. The Core game is 99 euros (with standees and only 5 minis) and even though not a big box the shipping mess at the moment is affecting it, so a delivered core box to Europe with taxes and shipping is around or just over 150 euros - so a miss for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2021 07:01 #326402 by mezike
One final post about Eleven as I tried out the TTS mod yesterday and Ignacy has also weighed in against the hysterics in the Gamefound comments section, which has allowed me to apply some context to my own feelings.

The TTS mod is currently almost unplayable in it's current state although it does give an overview of the flow of play and how it all fits together. The main changes between this reboot and the original are what they have done to the in-game economy and matchday resolution. In my view they have gone too far with the best intentions of opening up the system in order to create more opportunity, and made a bit of a mess of it all in the process, but this is exactly what Ignacy has noted in his post - breaking the system to open it up and then fixing the pieces so it works again. My concern though is that this approach might lean everything into more comfortable and less innovative territory, but happy to see how it pans out as I have a lot of goodwill banked for both Ignacy and Portal and he has expressed many times how much he admires the original.

My verdict would be that if you are interested in getting the fancy extras and the bundle price then put in a buck and wait for the pledge manager and some more development time to pass, otherwise sit this out until the final product can be considered on it's own standing.

Into the specifics:

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, sornars, BillyBobThwarton, DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook, Kmann

More
10 Sep 2021 11:50 #326409 by Ah_Pook
Just wanted to say that's an excellent post, thanks :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
10 Sep 2021 13:56 - 10 Sep 2021 13:58 #326412 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote: I think the real problem with a crowdfunding campaign like this is the expansion bloat. By tossing a large swathe of optional buys it frontloads a huge cost on the game. It's terrible for consumers.

15 years ago this hobby grew at a great rate because you could pick up titles for $16.50, $19.99, etc. It wasn't a huge outlay and could be an impulse buy. So lots of people tried lots of games because they could support their hobby for maybe $250 a year.

Things have changed a bit. Now $250 may be a single purchase. Games that once were defined as "lifestyle" games are coming out all the time. At what point do they become an impediment to happiness instead of a source?

And yeah, if there's that one game that really checks all the boxes for you personally, then it's a must-have. And it's worth the price. A pretty big If when you don't get to see it in advance, but you know what I mean. But the number of times I hear people kinda sound obligated to buy a game . . . it doesn't sound like happiness to me. It sounds like a publisher pushing as far as he can while still making the sale. It has a used car dealer vibe to it.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2021 13:58 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, jpat, san il defanso, BillyBobThwarton, n815e

More
10 Sep 2021 17:16 #326416 by Michael Barnes
I can’t tell you all enough how liberating it is to not give two shits about that game and others marketed like it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, themothman421, Frohike

More
23 Sep 2021 13:43 #326721 by Ah_Pook
I wanted to be excited by Artisans of Splendant Vale, but the game part doesn't really grab me. It looks like a graphic novel I would really enjoy, but then there's also a game. It's a shame, I love the art and the vibe and everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Sep 2021 14:10 #326807 by Rliyen
Just backed Masters of the Universe: The Board Game on KS. Mostly, for nostalgia (huge fan of the toys and the show). It's CMON, so I'm well aware of certain minuses to the company.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
28 Sep 2021 14:32 #326809 by dysjunct
Does it come with any NFTs?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, n815e

More
28 Sep 2021 14:56 #326811 by Rliyen

dysjunct wrote: Does it come with any NFTs?

You can buy that as an Optional Add-On for $8k :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, n815e

More
30 Sep 2021 18:46 #326897 by ChristopherMD
Maquis 2nd Ed copies are now shipping to backers straight from China.

More
13 Oct 2021 15:04 - 13 Oct 2021 15:45 #327148 by sornars
Is the free Kickstarter money tree drying up?

I was keeping an eye on Myth and Goal by Blacklist Games, designed by James Hewitt and Sophie Williams and Thunder Road: Vendetta by Restoration Games and both games looked pretty close to complete rules wise and had reasonable art but both Kickstarters were cancelled this week; presumably due to not seeing the sort of explosive returns the publishers were expecting. Both publishers intend to follow through on both games (Thunder Road in January), (Myth and Goal TBD) but it was interesting to see two projects get cancelled despite looking a hell of a lot more baked than things that I've seen fly off the shelf in the past. (That Stellaris board game comes to mind).

If you like Cube Rails games, Union Station looks like a good time in a small package: www.kickstarter.com/projects/dnlnwmn/union-station . Amabel Holland's quote sums up my feelings about new designs; I also like weird and divisive games.

I'm also still contemplating Voidfall.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2021 15:45 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, n815e

More
13 Oct 2021 15:26 #327151 by hotseatgames
I guess if a project doesn't fund in 3 minutes it's just not worth doing. :/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, n815e

More
13 Oct 2021 15:40 - 13 Oct 2021 15:43 #327152 by charlest
Things are tightening up, sure, but both of these cases have clear explanations to me.

Myth & Goal has Hewitt and Williams name on it, which is a huge selling point, but the game doesn't necessarily scream innovation. I'm willing to bet it's a good game, but that genre is one that most people don't need to own several different games of the type. So it's not incredibly sexy as a proposition. The minis are also a bit boring.

But what really hurts it is that Blacklist's name is bruised. They had so much trouble with the Street Master's Aftermath KS that it will cling to their reputation permanently.

Thunder Road suffers from Restoration's KS reputation being poor as well. Anyone who backed Fireball Island paid twice as much as they needed to compared to retail. That's not even considering the new edition at Target which is 25% of the original Kickstarter price.

I would say consumers are getting wiser as time goes on, and the influx of FNG backers isn't what it used to be.

Kickstarter is going nowhere though. Watch how well Awaken Realms' Lords of Ragnarok does or the next CMON Marvel Zombicide or whatever they push. Projects that will retain value long after they deliver, thus minimizing risk, will continue to flourish.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2021 15:43 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, sornars

More
13 Oct 2021 16:17 #327153 by the_jake_1973
Myth & Goal was trying to take on BB and Blitz Bowl and the gameplay seemed less compelling, perhaps a bit overwrought. Two big fantasy football games in circulation and some minor ones made this a pretty hard sell to begin with.

More
13 Oct 2021 16:48 #327155 by Gary Sax
^^Voidfall is still killing it too, campaign ending this weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.323 seconds