October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
14 Jan 2022 14:42 #329801 by Jackwraith
I remain mystified at the popularity of Camp Grizzly. Maybe it was just the people I've played it with, but I've played twice and in both cases, I've been utterly unimpressed with it. I'm not a fan of the film genre in the first place, so maybe that contributes to my disdain, but I found nothing at all to get excited about. It just felt like a wholly random chase-the-rabbit scenario that has the further downside of being a co-op.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2022 15:10 #329802 by Virabhadra
Secondhand prices are insane, and even a "reasonable" deal on the game would still be a several-hundred-dollar gamble.

The only thing keeping me from PnP'ing all of Camp Grizzly is that I'm not exactly sure how to print cards with the appropriate card backs. The files for the base game and expansion are all available online, though.

More
14 Jan 2022 15:28 #329803 by Shellhead
Camp Grizzly is not a co-op game, it's a semi-cooperative game, which is always more interesting. Semi-cooperative play means that players can't take it for granted that they are all working to win together. In Camp Grizzly, it is entirely possible one or some of the players to leave the camp without taking everybody else along. The first group to leave does a finale, and if they survive, they win and the rest of the players die back in camp. But if the first group doesn't survive a finale, the rest of the players still have a chance to escape and do their own finale scenario. Expansions include characters who have special abilities that screw other characters, and one expansion allows a character to become another serial killer.

I have played Camp Grizzly with at least 50 people since I got the game in 2014. All of them have enjoyed the game, even the non-gamers. The game is easy to learn and easy to play. The theme is expressed so well that every game effectively tells a story. The Disneyesque art is ideal, because it takes grim subject matter and it makes it a little more light-hearted. I suppose that a very serious gamer might dislike Camp Grizzly because the randomness of the cards and dice tend to sabotage every long-term plan. And some gamers would probably hate the player elimination aspect, though I feel that it is essential for a horror game. As a house rule, we let the surviving players vote on whether an eliminated player can immediately rejoin the game with a fresh character.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, sornars

More
14 Jan 2022 15:31 #329804 by the_jake_1973
I love the Game, but it hits many notes that I look for in a game. It is definitely targeted at me and I would back a reprint in a second.

More
14 Jan 2022 15:41 #329806 by hotseatgames
I've never played Camp Grizzly but its reputation around here would definitely have me interested in a reprint.

More
14 Jan 2022 15:49 #329807 by the_jake_1973

Virabhadra wrote: Secondhand prices are insane, and even a "reasonable" deal on the game would still be a several-hundred-dollar gamble.

The only thing keeping me from PnP'ing all of Camp Grizzly is that I'm not exactly sure how to print cards with the appropriate card backs. The files for the base game and expansion are all available online, though.

Where can I get the PnP files? My google fu has failed me. I'll take my answer of the air (PM). LOL

More
14 Jan 2022 16:29 #329811 by Virabhadra

Shellhead wrote: I have played Camp Grizzly with at least 50 people since I got the game in 2014. All of them have enjoyed the game, even the non-gamers. The game is easy to learn and easy to play.

That is my exact experience with Magical Athlete, so your mentions of Camp Grizzly have piqued my interest in a big way. Too bad the creators went AWOL, because I'd like to support the work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
14 Jan 2022 19:36 - 14 Jan 2022 19:48 #329818 by Sagrilarus
I heard the recent Aliens game compared to Camp Grizzly here, and that sealed its (Grizzly's) fate for me. Anyone care to rebut that?

Is it better than Sucking Vacuum?
Last edit: 14 Jan 2022 19:48 by Sagrilarus.

More
16 Jan 2022 13:52 #329846 by southernman

Sagrilarus wrote: I heard the recent Aliens game compared to Camp Grizzly here, and that sealed its (Grizzly's) fate for me. Anyone care to rebut that?

Is it better than Sucking Vacuum?

Which one (as I'd be interested in knowing) ?

More
16 Jan 2022 16:54 #329848 by Sagrilarus
The official title is ALIEN: Fate of the Nostromo
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
16 Jan 2022 17:10 #329850 by southernman

Sagrilarus wrote: The official title is ALIEN: Fate of the Nostromo

Ah - that one. I had seen people talking about it, looked a bit too light to make it's way into my collection at the expense of other games.

More
19 Jan 2022 06:14 #329897 by Ah_Pook
$410 for the giant Galactus statue version of marvel zombies... Seems legit.

More
19 Jan 2022 08:54 #329899 by fightcitymayor

Ah_Pook wrote: $410 for the giant Galactus statue version of marvel zombies... Seems legit.

The ridiculous hollow blow-molded Cthulhu from the Death May Die KS still goes for $400 on eBay, so CMON are going back to that well with Galactus. Bend me over once, shame on you, bend me over twice, shame on me.

More
20 Jan 2022 09:20 #329924 by Legomancer
For a thread on BGG about KS results, I looked at mine. Here's what I posted:

I've backed 34 games on KS, with the first one being back in 2013 and the most recent in 2019. None of them have failed to deliver or are still ongoing. I don't recall any that were excessively late, but of course most were delayed somewhat. I'm a fire-and-forget backer, so I never worried too much about the proposed deadlines, but I don't recall anything going very awry.

For a couple years I was pretty trigger happy (by my standards). I've gotten much more discerning since then.

Of those 34 games, this is how they shake out:

Great: 8 (24%)
These are games that I am really glad I backed and have in my library. They get a lot of play and were definitely KS wins.

Good: 7 (21%)
These are games I like and kept. Glad I backed them, but if I hadn't I'd also be fine. Considered wins.

OK: 4 (12%)
Games that were fine, but I didn't end up keeping for one reason or another. (I'm counting the Turmoil expansion for Terraforming Mars in this. I still have the expansion, but I removed it from my game and don't foresee adding it back in.)

Disappointing: 9 (26%)
These just didn't work. Either the game itself needed some more work or it just wasn't what I'd thought it would be. I got rid of them.

Junk: 3 (9%)
These games were just bad. Awful gameplay, half-baked, just terrible. I don't have them anymore, and good riddance.

Unknown: 3 (9%)
I have yet to play these. (One I played once but it's been a while and I don't remember much about it.)

So looking at things I actively backed, and the great and good results, that's 44%. Not terrible. It's also good to note that of my ten most recent KSes, 5 of them are Good or Great (2 unknown), so I have gotten better as time goes on.

Also interesting to note: I own at least 9 games that I didn't back on KS but were originally KS products that I either bought retail or obtained otherwise. Of those, 6 are Good or Great, with 3 up for trade. It's possible there are more that I didn't know were KS games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Jackwraith, DarthJoJo

More
20 Jan 2022 09:40 #329925 by hotseatgames
I'm not willing to go back through and analyze my backed projects. As with most anyone else, I have had some wins and losses. My longest wait was for Glamazons, but it was a low price point and I wanted to support Matt Fantastic, so it was no big deal. It ultimately delivered and is a fun light game.

The one that was the biggest clusterfuck was Incursion. This took forever to deliver. I think the publisher got in way over their head. I liked it, but have since sold it off because it never saw the table.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.419 seconds