October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
20 Jan 2022 09:55 - 20 Jan 2022 09:57 #329927 by Gary Sax
Good idea for this thread, Legomancer! I'm interested to see other people's record on KS games if they care to share:

I have only backed 8 that have delivered, by biggest question mark and whale game (Core Space: First Born) has not delivered yet and should soon.

Great games: Pax Pamir 2nd edition, Oath, Spirit Island expansion, Argent and expansions

Good games: Xia expansion, Root expansions, Space Cadets Away Missions,

Fair games: Catacombs 2nd edition

And that's it. But I've been pretty disciplined about KSer.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2022 09:57 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Virabhadra

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2022 10:42 #329929 by the_jake_1973
I've backed a few games on KS and have been largely satisfied with the fit and finish. Looking back, I don't think I would back the couple games by the Sadlers that I did (Street Masters and Altar Quest). I was caught up in the moment and those were sold off right away. Zombicide Green Horde was played once and didn't really capture me in the way that the original Zombicide did and that was sold off.

satisfied: Getaway, Squadron 303, Arcadia Quest and expansions, Marvel United, Isle of Cats
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
20 Jan 2022 10:44 - 20 Jan 2022 15:42 #329930 by Shellhead
I have been very selective about Kickstarting, so I have been fairly happy with my acquisitions.

Good: Masters of the Night, The Vesuvius Incident

Fair: 1 Survives

Fail: Shuriken (board game about ninjas that failed to fund)

I have actually been happier with the Kickstarter games that I have purchased just after a Kickstarter is completed. So I didn't Kickstart, I just jumped in and bought an available copy after the Kickstater was over.

Great: Camp Grizzly

Good: Saltlands, Lords of Gossamer and Shadow (rpg)

Fair: Dark Venture, Veronica Mars (movie)
Last edit: 20 Jan 2022 15:42 by Shellhead. Reason: forgot about Dark Venture

More
20 Jan 2022 10:55 - 20 Jan 2022 10:56 #329931 by Jackwraith
To date, I've only backed 11 things; four of which are pending and all of which should be delivered by this summer.

Great games: Oath, Pax Pamir 2nd Ed, Ankh, Root Underworld expansion

Good games: Tiny Epic Dinosaurs, Tiny Epic Pirates

Decent games: Big Trouble in Little China (since traded)

Pending: Tiny Epic Dungeons, Root Marauders expansion, John Company 2nd Ed, Cthulhu Wars expansions (sigh)

I've also bought a few things at retail that were KSed (Other TE stuff, Blood Rage, Root) and/or traded for stuff that was (Rising Sun.) I'm just not that interested in signing on to that much, given the huge pile that I have that doesn't get played enough (writing something involving that huge pile at the moment.) I'll automatically look at anything Cole Wehrle, Eric Lang, or Scott Almes, but won't necessarily sign on to all of it (I didn't back Cthulhu Death May Die, for example.)
Last edit: 20 Jan 2022 10:56 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Virabhadra

More
20 Jan 2022 11:23 #329932 by Not Sure
Mostly the same stuff as everyone else, KS shows 8 completed and 2 in progress (Root:Marauders and JohnCo)

Oath, Pax Pamir (Great, of course)
Root+expansions. (Good-to-great)

(I could swear the original Root was Kickstarter but it's not on the page, maybe it was some other pre-order system)

Argent 2e upgrade kit (Good)
Pax Renaissance 2e (one I'm less happy with, it's kind of ugly and overdone)

A few curveballs from the early days:
Kremlin reprint (never played)
Guns of Gettysburg (same, Simmons titles are hard to get traction on)

Lastly, Engelstein's Gametek book. (excellent)

I don't recall anything being excessively late, Cole takes his time on some projects but it's pretty public, not radio silence.

I'm also pretty picky on KS, and buying games in general these days. I don't think there's been a year in the last decade that I bought ten games.

More
20 Jan 2022 14:45 - 20 Jan 2022 16:30 #329939 by southernman
I've been fairly busy with Kickstarter, and Gamefound, for the last few years basically because they are producing the types of games I like and/or want to play and aren't showing up that much in retail. I will admit that I have put the brakes on heavily the last six months and have my eye on only one or two for this year - I know I have enough :laugh:

The start of it:
Kremlin reprint - poor project by a dodgy outfit, sold it on as it wasn't up to scratch.
Space Cadets: Away Missions - well we all know how good this one was ;)

Getting keen:
Western Legends: Ante Up expansion - Covid victim, unplayed but pretty sure it will not disappoint.
Folklore - Fall of the Spire expansion - As above.

The tsunami starts to arrive:
Tainted Grail - absolutely extraordinary
Destinies - big disappointment, far too family friendly / entry level for us, moved on with very little play.
Waste Knights 2e - Great game, recommend.
Nemesis - Brilliant game.
Sword & Sorcery: Ancient Chronicles - Next volume of an awesome game.

The main wave on its way (and I have great expectations of all of them):
Machina Arcana 3e
Etherfields
Oathsworn
Aeon Trespass: Odyssey
HEL: The Last Saga
Darkest Dungeon
Mythic Battles: Ragnarok
ISS: Vanguard
The Witcher

That lot should keep me gaming well past 2025 B) ... but just in case I miscalculated I have also picked up Deep Madness, Sleeping Gods, and Bloodborne on the secondary market (games I probably would have backed them if seen).
Update: memory says also picked up on the secondary Dungeon Degenerates and Gloomhaven.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2022 16:30 by southernman.

More
20 Jan 2022 15:01 - 20 Jan 2022 16:37 #329940 by Virabhadra
Pending:
Cthulhu Wars Bubastis / Daemon Sultan factions
Monsterpocalypse
Dungeon Degenerates card expansions

Backed:
Cthulhu Wars Onslaught 2
Puzzle Strike
Yomi

Post-KS:
Anachrony
Camp Grizzly
Crash Octopus
Dungeon Degenerates
Near and Far (the only 'meh' game on this list)
Obsession
Necromolds
Sleeping Gods
Spire’s End
A Study in Emerald 1e (unplayed)
Street Masters
Villains and Vigilantes (unplayed).

I'm too impatient for most Kickstarters and I've gotten much better over the years at not buying "great" games that I know will not make it to my table. It means that I miss out on stuff like Root, but it keeps my shelf toad population in check.

It's interesting how FOMO-centric / hype-driven so many Kickstarters seem to be. I'm looking over this whole list and with the exception of Camp Grizzly, there's nothing here that you can't currently get at retail or find easily on the secondary market (and even then, I'm not sure I'd call the BGG Store the "secondary market.") Ditto most "promo" content.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2022 16:37 by Virabhadra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
20 Jan 2022 15:26 #329941 by mads b.
I think I've been pretty lucky with my kickstarter purchases.

The great
Sleeping Gods
Nemeis (and, I think after one play, Lockdown)
Gloomhaven
Radlands

These are games I still have and still like a lot. Hopefully we'll soon have time to rekindle the Gloomhaven campaign.

The good
Space Cadets: Away Missions
Tavarua
A Study in Emerald
Tiny Epic Zombies
Sorcerer
Thunderbirds

I think Study would be great if I ever got to play it more. Space Cadets and Thunderbirds were solid, but just never saw the table so I sold them. Same goes to some extent for TEZ. And while Sorcerers looked great and would probably be fun, I couldn't fint anyone to play it with (backed it because I worked with the illustrator/designer on some game pitches). Tavarua is still on the shelf. I've only ever played it solo, but a game about surfing is just too damn charming to not have.

The meh
Tiny Epic Pirates - Not epic and the map feels cramped. But the 5yo likes it, so it probably stays.
This town ain't big enough for the 2-4 of us - love the title, but very forgettable tile laying game
The Ratcatcher - a pure solo game that was way too fiddly for my taste. Sold it quickly.
Alien uprising: Zothren invasion - Not a very good dice chucker. But the idea of building robots and smashing aliens is great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Virabhadra

More
20 Jan 2022 15:41 #329942 by Shellhead
I jumped on Sleeping Gods just after the Kickstarter shipped last spring, but my reseller didn't get his order. I forgot all about it until a few weeks ago, when the re-seller asked if I was still interested in getting it. I said yes, and haven't heard anything since.

More
20 Jan 2022 15:51 #329943 by mads b.
It's been a while since I've played it, but when I got it the 5yo and I played for around ten hours in one weekend. We've finished one playthrough and are about a third into the second. It's very, very good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Jan 2022 16:07 #329944 by Virabhadra
@Shellhead: FWIW, all of the non-base game stuff is available either on the BGG Store (Dungeons/Tides of Ruin expansions) or at the Red Raven Store (component upgrades, Mac's Journal). The Secret Cabal promos are the trickiest bit to track down. Unsure whether any of it's in danger of going OOP again; it all makes for a stellar presentation.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax

More
20 Jan 2022 21:12 #329946 by Ah_Pook
ive backed around 35 games, though mostly they have been small box card games that fall into impulse buy range, stuff like that. only like 2 real stinkers, mostly medioce, some great games... dunno.

More
21 Jan 2022 12:16 #329958 by Shellhead
Virabhadra, I just got an email today that my reseller has shipped my copy of Sleeping Gods. I didn't spring for any of the expansions because I can't tell from the reviews if I will like the combat system or not. But if I do, I will probably want Tides of Ruin.

More
22 Jan 2022 21:29 #329976 by Bernie
I've done a fair number.

Biggest miss is for sure Myth.
Biggest hits are some of my all time favorite games.

Spirit Island
Argent
Cerebria: The Inside World
Rising Sun

I can't say enough good things about these games.

More
23 Jan 2022 11:28 #329986 by Legomancer

Legomancer wrote: Great: 8 (24%)
These are games that I am really glad I backed and have in my library. They get a lot of play and were definitely KS wins.

Among my big KS hits: Xia, QE, It's a Wonderful World, The City, Smartphone Inc, Omen: A Reign of War. Priciest of those was Xia (the KS was for an expansion, but I got it, the base, and the previous expansion)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds