October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
23 Jan 2022 16:25 #329998 by southernman

Virabhadra wrote: @Shellhead: FWIW, all of the non-base game stuff is available either on the BGG Store (Dungeons/Tides of Ruin expansions) or at the Red Raven Store (component upgrades, Mac's Journal).

Lucky buggers, nothing available in the UK (or Europe to my knowledge) so I just have the core game - this should be fine but I will feel like I missed out on a lot if I enjoy it and can't experience the Tides of Ruin and Dungeons expansions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2022 05:56 #330019 by mads b.
I have the dungeons expansion, but haven't tried it yet. I love the game, but I'm not sure I need Tides of Ruin. The thing is that it, as far as I know, gives you lots of extra places to explore, but doesn't change the big story. And while I like the quests and exploration, the idea that you are doing this *because* of something (what I call the big story) makes it much more fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
24 Jan 2022 09:56 #330029 by Msample
www.kickstarter.com/projects/maydaygames...zo-yUR3K1x_tdYz_X2UM

I still remember SuperFly's review of Mayday's piece of shit board he got many years ago. I miss Pete's contributions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, dysjunct, allismom3, Dr. Mabuse, sornars

More
24 Jan 2022 10:17 #330031 by Msample
As far as my record with KS, its relatively short.

UP FRONT. Yeah I got burnt. Fuckers.

HIGH FRONTIER, BIOS MEGAFAUNA, PAX TRANSHUMANITY - Incomplete since I haven't played them.

PAX PAMIR. Great. Played three times this past weekend.

PAX VIKING. Good/incomplete as I have only played either 2 or three player; I get the sense its better with 5-6.

JOHN COMPANY. Very good. Lags behind PP due to the difficulty in getting it to the table.

ROOT MARAUDER, NEMESIS LOCKDOWN, CORE SPACE FIRST BORN all still outstanding.

And that's it as far as KS I have ever backed. Even with that small sample size I am leery of using it going forward as I am concentrating on playing stuff I already own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Dr. Mabuse, Jackwraith

More
24 Jan 2022 12:55 #330047 by Dr. Mabuse
Jumping in on THUNDER ROAD: VENDETTA. This is the first Restoration Games product that's grabbed me. I have the original that my buddies and I have lightly house-ruled, but I'm digging the design choices in this edition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, hotseatgames, sornars

More
24 Jan 2022 15:13 #330062 by jeb
I guess I got lucky to be burned by DICE AGE (never shipped) and CARNIVAL (fucking terrible) early, so I never got into the KS-as-way-to-get-games thing. I missed some good ones I'm sure, but I am pretty sure I also missed filling my house with FOMO crap.

My best KSs have been books and stuff. A cool knife.

More
24 Jan 2022 15:33 #330068 by Disgustipater

Dr. Mabuse wrote: Jumping in on THUNDER ROAD: VENDETTA. This is the first Restoration Games product that's grabbed me. I have the original that my buddies and I have lightly house-ruled, but I'm digging the design choices in this edition.

Did this re-launch? I don’t see it on KS or Google.

More
24 Jan 2022 20:52 - 24 Jan 2022 20:53 #330087 by Dr. Mabuse

Disgustipater wrote:

Dr. Mabuse wrote: Jumping in on THUNDER ROAD: VENDETTA. This is the first Restoration Games product that's grabbed me. I have the original that my buddies and I have lightly house-ruled, but I'm digging the design choices in this edition.

Did this re-launch? I don’t see it on KS or Google.

January 25th!!!
Last edit: 24 Jan 2022 20:53 by Dr. Mabuse.

More
24 Jan 2022 23:33 #330091 by Michael Barnes
They are also doing $1 pledges so you can get everything in the pledge manager without giving Kickstarter more than ten cents. I support this and I’ll be in for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
25 Jan 2022 09:32 #330098 by drewcula
I'm renovating my studio from game storage back into an actual fucking studio.
I need to back another Kickstarter like I need another hole in the head. Or in this case, another box beside my oil paints.

So of course I'm backing Final Girl. A buddy will grab the first "season," and I'll grab the second.

Thunder Road returns to KS. RG's attempt in the Fall went for all of what? Two days? They pulled the plug to retool. Let's see what they pull off today. The play-through videos I've seen thus far have me a bit concerned:

There's a lot of dashboard action going on.
Those dashboards are occupying a bigger footprint.
There's a lovely simplicity to Thunder Road that 'may' be getting bogged down.

Case in point: Fireball Island & Return to Dark Tower.
Counter point: Whatever-the-hell-they-renamed-Dragon Master, Unmatched, and Downforce.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
25 Jan 2022 09:35 #330099 by Ah_Pook

drewcula wrote: I'm renovating my studio from game storage back into an actual fucking studio.
I need to back another Kickstarter like I need another hole in the head. Or in this case, another box beside my oil paints.

So of course I'm backing Final Girl. A buddy will grab the first "season," and I'll grab the second.

Final Girl looks right up my street but the way they sell/package that game is so intensely annoying that I will never play it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, sornars, gversace, charlest, Kmann

More
25 Jan 2022 10:41 #330101 by Dr. Mabuse

Michael Barnes wrote: They are also doing $1 pledges so you can get everything in the pledge manager without giving Kickstarter more than ten cents. I support this and I’ll be in for it.

Hey Michael, could you elaborate more on this? I'm not sure I understand how that works.

More
25 Jan 2022 10:54 #330102 by Michael Barnes
You pledge a buck and you are still regarded as a backer and eligible for all stretch goals, rewards, and so forth. You get a pledge manager invite just like everyone and you pay there. But instead of KS getting 10% of the total amount you are spending to finance their blockchain bullshit, RG gets almost all of your money. It doesn’t do much to helping it reach the goal, but it’s not like that will be a problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, drewcula, Nodens

More
25 Jan 2022 11:13 - 25 Jan 2022 11:17 #330104 by sornars
I've seen a few campaigns start charging a late-backer price premium of $5-10 to try and incentivise folks to participate in the initial KS instead of the late pledge. Restoration Games is not doing that with Thunder Road (intentionally!) so you're good to go with this technique but I can imagine these surcharges becoming more frequent if more people start doing that.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2022 11:17 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Jan 2022 11:13 #330105 by drewcula

Ah_Pook wrote:

drewcula wrote: I'm renovating my studio from game storage back into an actual fucking studio.

Final Girl looks right up my street but the way they sell/package that game is so intensely annoying that I will never play it.

It's painfully and unnecessarily burdensome. If I didn't have a fellow horror-hound buddy wanting to go halfsies, I wouldn't pursue it.
"Added value" for me: I should be able to use the Final Girl miniatures for sessions of Don't Look Back.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.329 seconds