October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
25 Jan 2022 11:14 - 25 Jan 2022 11:18 #330106 by Disgustipater
Anyone up for trying this new Thunder Road on TTS before the campaign ends?

Edit - I just noticed shipping is $22 which probably prices me out of it. Still wouldn’t mind trying it though.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2022 11:18 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2022 13:12 #330116 by jeb
I am backing Restoration Games' THUNDER ROAD: VENDETTA thing using the backdoor-to-Pledge Manager to avoid giving the grifting PoS's at Kickstarter any more money. Genius move by Restoration, who are tied to the KS platform for an array of reasons for this game; but support my decision to avoid using KS.

My 10yo absolutely adores RETURN TO DARK TOWER. That game is 10yo crack. We've played four times in the last month (and we have options!) and he's set it up just to look at at least once as well. Nothing has gotten that treatment around here since HEROSCAPE. You all can complain about the wonkiness and the dashboarding and all that, but it's an amazing looking game. He wants to have friends over so they can revel in it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Gregarius, Nodens, n815e

More
25 Jan 2022 13:15 #330118 by Gary Sax
It got some heat but I think Barnes's Heroquest post on kids games was so spot on for the reason you mention. Kids just interact with games differently in my limited experience, and you just roll with it and play what they are obsessed with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
26 Jan 2022 09:04 - 26 Jan 2022 14:22 #330127 by drewcula

jeb wrote: You all can complain about the wonkiness and the dashboarding and all that, but it's an amazing looking game.

I think I'm the only one with the criticism. I would offer that large dashboards and pretty aesthetics are not mutually exclusive.

And I'll die on my Heroscape Valhalla battlefield: Dark Tower, Talisman, Heroquest, Heroscape, etc. are not kids' games as much as they are family games. Family, insofar as both adolescents and adults can enjoy them. I don't know any adult that enjoys playing Candyland.

[RANT: I'm a forty six year old man child who enjoys toys. Games with a high "toy factor," especially miniaturized characters, are a draw. Some of my peers jest about my ever lasting attraction to toys and games. All the while, I watch them spend thousands of dollars on fly fishing reels. To each their own.]

Restoration Games is a peculiar beast. I largely support their mission, but sometimes question their concept of "restoration."

Is Epic Duels really restored if it doesn't have Star Wars characters?
Is Dark Tower really restored if it now requires an app?
Is Fireballl Island really restored if it has ALL OF THOSE CARDS?
Is Buried Treasure really restored if it's now themed around baked goods?

Maybe it's just semantics. Restoration Games has better market appeal than "Remake Games."

Anyway, I backed Thunder Road for a buck for reasons already mentioned. IDK how I really feel about this brazen thumb-in-the-eye to KS policy, but for now I appreciate the moxie.

Meanwhile, I'm having seconds thoughts about proceeding with Final Girl.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2022 14:22 by drewcula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, n815e, Virabhadra

More
26 Jan 2022 09:52 - 26 Jan 2022 09:52 #330131 by charlest
Crazy week for crowdfunding.

I'm in for $1 on Thunder Road. Not sure if I will commit in the pledge manager.

Backing Purple Haze. I'm a sucker for Vietnam and narrative. Seems like a descendant of Ambush.

Also backing Mayday's 8th Crokinole board Kickstarter. I've really fallen in love with Crokinole the past few months and need my own board. I'm well aware of the past issues but this is the best balance of affordability and quality I can find.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2022 09:52 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, BillyBobThwarton

More
26 Jan 2022 11:41 #330143 by DarthJoJo
I decided to back Skytear Horde. What pushed me over the edge for it was the that it feels like a solo competitive CCG. I expect the immediate back and forth of play to feel much different than Arkham.

Opted for the deluxe edition. Don’t really care about higher quality tokens, but my appreciation for nice boxes was kicked into gear by Radlands. Also want the playmat since it was that or some thin cardboard to identify the lanes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, BillyBobThwarton

More
26 Jan 2022 12:18 #330145 by Gary Sax
I thought Skytear horde looked interesting too.

More
27 Jan 2022 08:24 - 27 Jan 2022 08:36 #330159 by sornars
I thought about Skytear Horde but then I remembered that I bounced off of Marvel Champions because of its "one turn optimisation puzzle" nature. I think this will occupy a similar space to that and despite looking good and at a reasonable price point (and box size!) I decided to give it a pass.

I agree that it's a good complement to Arkham as it'll feel different but the same argument can be made for MC. A puzzly game like this will thrive on having lots of different content which MC already provides. Setting wise, superheroes > MOBAs for me.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2022 08:36 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
27 Jan 2022 10:48 #330166 by Ah_Pook
I'm tempted by skytear, it's right up my alley and the gameplay all in pledge is really reasonable priced... I just don't know that I need another coop card game tbh. Aeons End and Marvel Champions take up a lot of room in that space yknow. It looks fun though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
27 Jan 2022 12:13 #330172 by DarthJoJo
Marvel just never caught my attention. I can see the comparison as you’re trying to balance protecting your health while whittling down the opponent’s.

Skytear looks more interesting to me because it has a stronger sense of place. You’re the general leading battles between your castle and the enemy’s gates. Marvel? It’s so abstracted. Is it representing a five-minute brawl in the streets? A week of covert back and forths? I don’t demand immersion in my games but a sense of scale and place does help, especially in something so bombastic as superhero punch ups.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
27 Jan 2022 12:33 #330175 by sornars
That's a great point. The lanes concept of Skytear isn't just a gimick and does add a nice sense of location as does the lack of mobility of towers. The two lane width bosses also help establish a scale to the enemies you're facing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, DarthJoJo

More
27 Jan 2022 19:58 #330194 by Disgustipater
I backed Thunder Road for $1 and somehow I have convinced myself I should just get the all-in box. This is my first non-Root board game KS and I feel like I’ve fallen for the FOMO. I still have a while to calm down about it, we’ll see. I wont feel bad about it in any case, so whatever.

More
27 Jan 2022 20:13 - 28 Jan 2022 02:08 #330195 by Virabhadra
Can't miss the Detail-Enhancing Paint Wash!

I've never played the original so I don't have a "nostalgic fondness" button for this Kickstarter to press. I must be completely out of touch with how much games cost today*, because the All-In pledge doesn't look like much for $145 + tax + $22 shipping. Maybe there are still locked stretch goals baked into the price?

*Mindclash announced in an e-mail today that they're increasing prices 10-15% going forward due to World Circumstances.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2022 02:08 by Virabhadra.

More
27 Jan 2022 20:32 #330196 by hotseatgames
Got my ship notice for Core Space First Born, and if it is to believed, Fedex is delivering it Sunday. Of course, it's Fedex, so they will probably drive by my house at 80 mph honking and claim I wasn't home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
27 Jan 2022 20:55 #330197 by Gary Sax

hotseatgames wrote: Got my ship notice for Core Space First Born, and if it is to believed, Fedex is delivering it Sunday. Of course, it's Fedex, so they will probably drive by my house at 80 mph honking and claim I wasn't home.

Jesus christ I gotta sell some games this weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.699 seconds