October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What GAME ARTICLES/REVIEWS are you WRITING?

More
15 Dec 2021 06:12 #328790 by Erik Twice
Today I did something very different: I published an interview with Cole Wehrle about his habits as a player, the impact they have in his game designs and other interesting jucity tibidts that I think you'll enjoy!

Interview: The player habits of Cole Wehrle, designer of Root
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, ChristopherMD, Msample, Jackwraith, mezike, sornars, cdennett, charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2021 08:56 #328791 by mezike
Excellent, insightful article Erik!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
15 Dec 2021 09:39 #328792 by Gary Sax
You went in some quite interesting directions in this article. His thoughts on negative player interactions jumped out at me.

More
15 Dec 2021 09:46 - 16 Dec 2021 06:20 #328793 by sornars
I really enjoyed the phrase "we are trying to make someone’s favourite game" to stand in contrast to making "everyone's favourite game". Polarising and unique games are fantastic, even if they're not for me. Amabel Holland described Union Station with the quote "I'm certain ... it's going to be divisive. But me? I like weird. I like divisive. We need more of that in the world and on our tables" and I couldn't agree more. I'm glad to see Cole and Leder Games are of the same opinion!
Last edit: 16 Dec 2021 06:20 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Erik Twice

More
16 Dec 2021 06:02 #328818 by Erik Twice

Gary Sax wrote: You went in some quite interesting directions in this article. His thoughts on negative player interactions jumped out at me.

I'm glad to hear that! I just think there's so much to ask that isn't the usual slate of boilerplate questions. To me his design philosophy is the most interesting part. In fact, I drafted an outline and planned to ask him more about his influences but the moment the conversation shifted into somethng more interesting I decided to throw away my notes and focus on that.

sornars wrote: I really enjoyed the phrase "we are trying to make someone’s favourite game" to stand in contrast to making "everyone's favourite game". Polarising and unique games are fantastic, even if they're not for me. Amabell Holland described Union Station with the quote "I'm certain ... it's going to be divisive. But me? I like weird. I like divisive. We need more of that in the world and on our tables" and I couldn't agree more. I'm glad to see Cole and Leder Games are of the same opinion!

The thing is, as you make a game better, it will probably become more divisive as well. For example, if you make a horror game scarier you'll probably lose people who don't like being scared. But it's probably better as a design.

Above all, I think trying to please everyone just results in games that are shapeless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars

More
06 Jan 2022 09:18 - 06 Jan 2022 09:18 #329439 by charlest
My top 10 of 2021 was just published: playerelimination.com/2022/01/06/theels-feels-a-2021-top-10/

I found this year to be fantastic overall. I had several strong games I wanted to include on my list but didn't have the space.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2022 09:18 by charlest.

More
28 Jan 2022 09:33 #330203 by Erik Twice
I wrote an article talking about the effort we need to put in to have a great game experience and I wonder what you guys think. I always think we talk a lot about buying games and which ones are better but very little about how we actually play at the table and all that entails.

The cost of a good game experience - Erik Twice
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, ChristopherMD, Jexik, sornars, the_jake_1973, n815e

More
28 Jan 2022 09:44 - 28 Jan 2022 09:46 #330204 by Jexik
Yes, ultimately our enjoyment of games is contextual and dependent on the effort we put in.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2022 09:46 by Jexik.

More
04 Feb 2022 09:33 #330419 by Erik Twice
I debated for a very long while on whether I should write it or not but I finally did: Today I published a negative review of Gloomhaven. I've talked about it here before but I think it was time to come out and write seriously about it. I think I did a great job and that it might be insightful even for those who enjoye the game far more than I do.

Gloomhaven ★ - Erik Twice

More
04 Feb 2022 11:03 #330426 by Jackwraith
Interesting. Given its raging popularity, is there room to suspect that it hit with a bunch of gamers who actually haven't played RPGs before and simply hadn't experienced that kind of play and were, thus, impressed by it? I haven't played, but my initial look was that it had the same approach as Descent (as you say: advance as fast as possible toward the enemies, roll dice, kill them) with the bookkeeping of a full set of Arkham Horror (Track the first, monsters move, Innsmouth track advances, etc.) It wasn't that I thought it didn't look entertaining. It's just that I'd been there before. But, like you said, most dungeon crawlers have this mechanical constraint essentially because of what they're trying to be (RPGs on a board.) That's probably why the only crawler currently in my house is The Others, for some tactical reasons, but also theme.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice, Virabhadra

More
04 Feb 2022 19:41 #330457 by Erik Twice
I think it's safe to say that most people who are into Gloomhaven haven't played RPGs. As I've gotten in contact with more people through my club and my blog I've noticed that very few boardgamers have experience with them. In fact, the same goes with Magic. It's easy to think most know about it, but I've found it's not true! I do think many would enjoy RPGs if they had the chance, they are simply not exposed to them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, sornars, Virabhadra

More
04 Feb 2022 20:06 #330459 by Virabhadra
I started playing D&D in sixth grade (2e) and didn't get into boardgames until my senior year of college. I picked up Jaws of the Lion cheap and my girlfriend was excited to watch the campaign story develop, but I think we got a total of seven scenarios in before we packed it back up. I won't be surprised if I never get around to playing it again.

I think your take on Gloomhaven also depends on what kind of roleplaying you're used to. I'm definitely biased; my groups have always been game to fudge or completely hand-wave the rules in favor of a great narrative, and Gloomhaven takes what for me is the most boring part of tabletop RP - the bookkeeping - and strips away everything else.

I've read that Gloomhaven was originally intended to be a video game before they made it into a boardgame that was eventually released as a video game. They did not factor in how mind-numbing and messy it is to manipulate all the little bits of the AI. The Magic board can go right to hell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, sornars, Erik Twice, Nodens, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
11 Feb 2022 04:49 - 11 Feb 2022 04:49 #330671 by Erik Twice
I know I've been sharing a lot of stuff here lately, but I must know what you think of my latest article. It's the strangest piece I've written so far and you are the perfect target audience for it. Let me just ask: Do you think movies can ever be art?

If we talked about films like we do about games - Erik Twice
Last edit: 11 Feb 2022 04:49 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Jackwraith, DarthJoJo

More
11 Feb 2022 09:13 #330676 by Jackwraith
That's a solid parody and a perfectly valid question. I think there's room to suggest that games are like any other form of media, in that there's stuff that's obviously strictly commercial, stuff that aims a bit higher, and even more stuff which are a mix of the two. The "problem" is in discerning between those spheres or, for that matter, questioning if those distinctions are even necessary, since different games will say different things to different people. Yes, just like art/films/books/whathaveyou.

I certainly don't object to the idea of suggesting that games are a type of artistic expression. I think it's foolish to do otherwise. I still think it's fair to point out that the 27th expansion for Cthulhu Wars may have departed from the realm of making an artistic statement, whereas games like An Infamous Traffic basically can't be removed from it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Erik Twice

More
12 Feb 2022 05:39 #330711 by Erik Twice
I'm glad you enjoyed it Jackwraith. I had absolutely no idea about how people would take it and so far it seems everyone is liking it!

For me the key is what you say, the idea that games are like any other form of media. While it's fun to reinvent the wheel, I think looking at other art forms gives us some necessary perspective. The debates about whether it's wrong to "gamify" WW2 are a good example. And I know the comparison between killing Hamlet and backstabbing someone in Diplomacy is provocative but I don't think they are very far off.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.625 seconds