October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What GAME ARTICLES/REVIEWS are you WRITING?

More
23 Jan 2020 13:27 #306545 by hotseatgames

Gary Sax wrote: well paid

I just spit my coffee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2020 13:42 #306546 by Gary Sax
Exactly. GMT just has volunteer developers (thus of massively differing quality with little accountability) as far as I can tell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, WadeMonnig

More
24 Jan 2020 08:00 #306565 by Erik Twice
I wrote ana rticle about how too many alliances break Cosmic Encounter and why new players should be careful about them. I don't think most of you guys have this problem, but it's the reason why so many have had an awful experience so it seems worthwhile to share:

Cosmic Encounter: Please don't ally everyone, every time

I also wrote a (negative) review of Blood Rage. I like the game and always think it's going to be great but every single time I play it, there's a runaway leader or some small combo that takes over the game and destroys it.

Blood Rage ★
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., hotseatgames, WadeMonnig

More
26 Jan 2020 03:07 #306616 by thegiantbrain
In Feb on The Giant Brain you'll be seeing a review of Megacity: Oceania, Tinderblox/Kittin, Beyond the Veil gets into the Circle Undone (that won't be up on this site for a while) and an article on shelves of shame and the language around them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
17 Feb 2020 04:16 #307177 by sindhubaby
5e warlock guideMaking a Warlock

As you make your warlock character, invest some energy pondering your benefactor and the commitments that your agreement forces upon you. What drove you to make the agreement, and how could you reach your benefactor? Is it accurate to say that you were allured into gathering a fallen angel, or did you search out the custom that would permit you to reach an outsider senior god? Did you look for your supporter, or did your benefactor discover and pick you? Do you scrape under the commitments of your settlement or serve happily fully expecting the prizes vowed to you?

Work with your DM to decide how huge a section your agreement will play in your character's adventuring profession. Your benefactor's requests may drive you into experiences, or they may comprise totally of little favors you can do between undertakings.

What sort of relationship do you have with your benefactor? Is it agreeable, hostile, uncomfortable, or sentimental? How significant does your benefactor believe you to be? What part do you play in your supporter's arrangements? Do you know different workers of your benefactor?

How does your supporter speak with you? In the event that you have a well-known, it may once in a while talk with your supporter's voice. A few warlocks discover messages from their supporters carved on trees, blended among tea leaves, or afloat in the mists — messages that lone the warlock can see. Different warlocks chat with their benefactors in dreams or waking dreams, or manage go-betweens.

More
17 Feb 2020 06:43 #307178 by san il defanso
I played a lot of Civ VI this weekend, so I set out to write about it in a sort of "I just want to write something" way. But I think I actually ended up writing about culture shock and dealing with change. I guess I was processing something, who knows?

You can read it here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, Frohike, charlest

More
20 Feb 2020 09:25 #307295 by charlest
I discuss Oceans, a game I found vastly better than its predecessor: playerelimination.com/2020/02/20/evoluti...es-an-oceans-review/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, Ah_Pook

More
21 Feb 2020 11:45 #307345 by Vysetron
Folks here may want to know: I have my own site now! It's a colab space between me and a friend. No gimmicks, just words. Our writing styles are absolutely nothing alike, which is fun.

Just put up a writeup for the Epic app implementation. It sucked. Currently working on Never Bring a Knife (really cool hidden teams game) and Little Town (frighteningly strategic small box euro).

pixeldie.com/

More
21 Feb 2020 11:48 #307346 by Gary Sax
Awesome, thanks for popping it in here. Feel free to bump the thread when there's something notable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
05 Mar 2020 19:36 #307718 by san il defanso
I realized I hadn't written about Cosmic Encounter yet on my new blog, so I did so last night. I actually wrote it from the perspective of telling people why it might not work for them. I don't know if that's a line of thought worth pursuing, but pursue I did.

Read it if you like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, charlest

More
05 Mar 2020 22:06 #307722 by Jackwraith
Have written something on the problem of accessibility in Root, but not sure it's saying anything interesting. Still mulling it over.

More
05 Mar 2020 22:21 #307724 by dysjunct

san il defanso wrote: I realized I hadn't written about Cosmic Encounter yet on my new blog, so I did so last night. I actually wrote it from the perspective of telling people why it might not work for them. I don't know if that's a line of thought worth pursuing, but pursue I did.

Read it if you like.

The fragility concept is the crux for me. I gave up on CE after years of mediocre sessions. But I love RPGs, which are even more fragile than CE. I suspect that for me, RPGs are fragile in a different way. People can not show up, or not be feeling creative. But in CE it seems that the players have to be able to grasp a central concept that is suggested by the rules but never made explicit.

It seems faintly reminiscent of an RPG concept used by Vincent Baker (Dogs in the Vineyard, Apocalypse World): the “fruitful void”.
lumpley.com/index.php/anyway/thread/119

For me anyway, there’s a disconnect. I can see the fruitful void in RPGs, and I have a lot of tools in my box to manipulate it for increased fun and engagement. But in CE it eludes me. Dunno why. I suspect because that with board games, my brain sees rules as the point, but with RPGs, my brain sees rules as fellow travelers to the point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso, Frohike

More
20 Mar 2020 13:20 #308374 by charlest
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Frohike, DarthJoJo

More
13 Dec 2020 12:26 #317123 by Gary Sax
Excited to see any end of the year content on the site, but also want to encourage everyone who writes off the site to keep posting in this thread. It gives me great joy to read and helps me keep up with people I otherwise have trouble keeping up with since freelancing and hustling is a mfer in terms of shifting outlets, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample, Erik Twice, Ah_Pook

More
14 Dec 2020 04:39 #317134 by Erik Twice
Ok, let me see what I have:

I reviewed March of the Ants after talking so much about it on here. I think it's the best boardgame I've played in the 4X genre, beating both Eclipse and Twilight Imperium. Sounds something you guys might like.

I also wrote a controversial article arguing against needless memorization in games . I did not intend it to be controversial but apparently, it is. Weirdly enough, the two most common arguments against my point of view are opposite to each other. People argue either you are not supposed to memorize and I'm wrong for doing it, or that it's a vital part of the experience and I'm wrong for not wanting to do it.

I'm toying with this week's article and it might be either a review of a videogame or some general thoughts on game balance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds