October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What GAME ARTICLES/REVIEWS are you WRITING?

More
23 Apr 2021 21:56 #322486 by Jackwraith
I can honestly say the only time I use price as a consideration is when I'm unsure if I want to spend that much money (or I don't really have it to spend.) I don't think I've ever read a review as a buyers' guide, but I've always looked at games the way I look at all media: beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Meanwhile, I'm was in a thread on BGG about a recently Kickstartered game where people were questioning the producers' choice of using similar sets of cards for 12 different characters in a game that only plays 5. They're totally hung up on how much the cost might have been reduced if they didn't include those extra cards. I've tried pointing out that the production cost of a few cards is minimal compared to other components (wood, plastic, etc.) and the effect on shipping cost is utterly negligible. But they won't give up on acting as if they've been wronged because the company went out of their way to include more of the same cards with different art on the back.

I agree with others above. The problem is a skewed collector's mentality. They're buying things that they assume are of value and they want to know if they're of "actual value", so everyone that looks at games with a critical eye should be sharing their critical perspective, which is only about the item as a cost that might accumulate value. However, that's a weird perspective for a collector to have in the first place. No one collects rare stamps because they think the paper, ink, and glue actually have value. It's about owning rare stamps.

As for people giving you shit about using Euros or the metric system... Save me, jeebus. "A man remains silent and others may think him a fool. When he speaks, he removes all doubt from their minds."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2021 23:04 #322489 by Gary Sax

Jackwraith wrote: They're buying things that they assume are of value and they want to know if they're of "actual value", so everyone that looks at games with a critical eye should be sharing their critical perspective, which is only about the item as a cost that might accumulate value. However, that's a weird perspective for a collector to have in the first place. No one collects rare stamps because they think the paper, ink, and glue actually have value. It's about owning rare stamps.

Great observation here, you can't have both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
23 Apr 2021 23:59 - 24 Apr 2021 00:00 #322494 by ChristopherMD
If you're going to invest in plastic then buy LEGO not board games.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2021 00:00 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
26 Apr 2021 10:55 #322552 by charlest
Rocky Mountain Man, in which I discuss the pandemic, masculinity, and of course the game: playerelimination.com/2021/04/26/rockymountaincharlie/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, Vysetron

More
26 Apr 2021 11:22 - 26 Apr 2021 11:24 #322556 by Gary Sax
As a side note, did you use dry erase here in your video? How did it work? My crayon flakes fucked up my basic crew counter pretty bad.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2021 11:24 by Gary Sax.

More
26 Apr 2021 11:33 #322557 by charlest
Yes, I've used both the included crayons as well as dry erase over plexiglass. I used dry erase in the GIF because I thought it was easier to see and sharper.

That's unfortunate about your crew counter. When using either one I've typically positioned the counters sort of adjacent to the hex they're actually in, partially for convenience so I could see the terrain and partially because I didn't want to rub anything off.

I will probably stick with dry erase because it's a bit easier to use and clean up in my experience. My plexiglass sheet though is large and kind of annoying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Apr 2021 14:35 #322698 by Vysetron
Been a minute since I've written a proper board game review, longer since it's been one that folks here would care about.

pixeldie.com/2021/04/28/cthulhu-wars-duel-review/

I want to believe this system can work but if they don't really kill it with the next box it'll look pretty dire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, sornars, Erik Twice, DarthJoJo

More
07 May 2021 14:00 #322957 by Gary Sax
boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/284230/after-...theels-top-50/page/1

I swear to god charlest and I share a game brain but he plays way more games. Besides me liking wargames a bit more and dungeon crawl a little less we're like a fucking hive mind even though I've never spoken to him outside site boards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
07 May 2021 15:42 #322960 by ChristopherMD
That's a solid Top 50. I bought first edition Battlestations when it came out but could never get anyone to play it with me. Still seems like a great concept and seeing it so highly ranked by you makes me wish I had cooler friends back then.

More
07 May 2021 15:54 - 07 May 2021 15:54 #322963 by charlest
I liked the first edition quite a bit, but the new edition is much better. The components are fantastic, which I think is significant as the ship tiles are more spacious and improve gameplay.

The rules are better as well, although it's still a bit of a rough game trying to live on a thin line between RPG and board game.
Last edit: 07 May 2021 15:54 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
07 May 2021 16:39 #322964 by Msample
Surprised WAR OF THE RING isn't on that list; you seem to gravitate towards multiplayer more than 2P ?

More
07 May 2021 16:46 - 07 May 2021 17:06 #322965 by charlest

Msample wrote: Surprised WAR OF THE RING isn't on that list; you seem to gravitate towards multiplayer more than 2P ?

It should be. I imagine it will be in the future.

I've only played half a game on Tabletop Simulator and I was enamored with it. I don't get to play two player games frequently, but I do love that format.

I will probably buy it at some point. I almost took Gary Sax's copy when he was offering it for free but thought it better to let someone else with likely less games than I claim it.

It's admittedly a rather large hole in my AT knowledge/experience that I should address.

I do like Battle of Five Armies for what it's worth.
Last edit: 07 May 2021 17:06 by charlest.

More
07 May 2021 17:13 #322966 by Gary Sax
San has some very cute stories of playing it with his kids so I'm guessing he has gotten more out of it than you could have, so your sacrifice was worth it. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
07 May 2021 17:52 #322967 by Msample

charlest wrote:

Msample wrote: Surprised WAR OF THE RING isn't on that list; you seem to gravitate towards multiplayer more than 2P ?

It should be. I imagine it will be in the future.

I've only played half a game on Tabletop Simulator and I was enamored with it. I don't get to play two player games frequently, but I do love that format.

I will probably buy it at some point. I almost took Gary Sax's copy when he was offering it for free but thought it better to let someone else with likely less games than I claim it.

It's admittedly a rather large hole in my AT knowledge/experience that I should address.

I do like Battle of Five Armies for what it's worth.

BoFA is nice, but its sort of an appetizer compared to the entree of WotR. The former is shorter and has a sort of hard wired clock with the Fate Track. WotR has a clock of sorts - the Fellowship trying to dunk the Ring - but it doesn't automatically progress. I think WotR is the better game but like both.

I have but have not played HUNT FOR THE RING.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
07 May 2021 18:16 #322969 by charlest
Hunt for the Ring is pretty solid. The two phase approach is both interesting and kind of odd. It has stiff competition in Fury of Dracula and Specter Ops, but it's a very solid game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.461 seconds