October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What GAME ARTICLES/REVIEWS are you WRITING?

More
07 May 2021 19:41 #322970 by Msample
There is supposed to be an expansion for it later this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2021 04:48 #322990 by Erik Twice
I wrote an odd article on takebacks and under what circumstances I allow them:

Takebacks in boardgames: What I allow and why
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample, birdman37, charlest, Vysetron

More
10 May 2021 10:22 #322995 by Shellhead
I enjoyed that article on takebacks. My original gaming group jokingly called a takeback "the retroactive phase." Like you, we eventually settled on a standard involving no new information gained. In addition, I am very lenient about takebacks if someone is playing for the first time and didn't fully understand a rule. It is always tempting to allow a takeback in a co-op game, but I try to resist the temptation because takebacks can really unbalance a co-op game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Erik Twice

More
11 May 2021 08:35 #323037 by RobertB

Shellhead wrote: I enjoyed that article on takebacks. My original gaming group jokingly called a takeback "the retroactive phase." Like you, we eventually settled on a standard involving no new information gained. In addition, I am very lenient about takebacks if someone is playing for the first time and didn't fully understand a rule. It is always tempting to allow a takeback in a co-op game, but I try to resist the temptation because takebacks can really unbalance a co-op game.

"No new information gained," is an awesome way to look at that.

More
11 May 2021 08:58 #323038 by Michael Barnes
That is exactly how it is written in the Mage Knight rulebook- no take back once new information is revealed. I feel like that should be SOP for pretty much any game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, birdman37, ecargo, Pugnax555

More
28 May 2021 15:47 #323537 by Gary Sax
www.polygon.com/platform/amp/22458363/cr...tter_impression=true

Charlest killing it with the no win situation consumers are in.

More
28 May 2021 15:50 #323538 by hotseatgames
I agree with that article wholeheartedly. Also, as long as plans don't get changed on me*, I'm happy to say that Phantom Division will NOT be doing this. Base game only to start. Hopefully it does well, because I already have two expansions in my head.

* it's technically out of my hands, but that is the current plan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, charlest

More
28 May 2021 15:51 #323539 by Gary Sax
I'm ready as soon as it goes up, hotseat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
28 May 2021 16:24 #323540 by hotseatgames
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, charlest

More
28 May 2021 16:39 #323541 by charlest
I expected as much. It's funny though because Twitter has been overwhelmingly positive, which surprised me.

I actually thought Redditors would mostly agree with the article as there's quite a bit of pushback against Kickstarter in that community. There's some strong words in opposition also on BGG but I'm refraining from engaging as it feels kind of wrong, almost like a designer stepping into a negative review to argue with a reviewer.

Really though, I wanted to start a discussion so it seems to have worked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, themothman421, hotseatgames, sornars, Pugnax555

More
28 May 2021 20:29 #323546 by Gary Sax
Always best to say nothing and let the work stand, imo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, charlest

More
28 May 2021 20:30 #323547 by DarthJoJo
While I don’t disagree with the ultimate thrust of the article on the weakness of the expansion in the Kickstarter era, I think you’re overstating their purpose before. I’m glad designers ten years ago had the time and space to create expansions that improved upon their initial work, some were planned from release to keep the game in the public eye. I believe Donald X. Vaccarino didn’t create new Dominion cards until Dark Ages, but Rio Grande wanted to drip the cards out. I remember people complaining about Days of Wonder releases because they felt only half the game was in the box and the rest was waiting in the expansion.

You presented the ideal expansion process, but it’s worth remembering that it was hardly the standard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, sornars, charlest, Ah_Pook

More
29 May 2021 12:23 #323561 by Gary Sax
This is a slight sidebar but it fits well into this thread. I think hiring Tom to Shut Up and Sit Down has been good. I really like his work.

More
30 May 2021 05:15 #323567 by Erik Twice
I agree your argument was a bit wonky regarding the point of expansions, but you are not wrong at all. And I think the reaction to your article on Reddit started a bit poor, but soon became very positive. You have almost a thousand upvotes which is huge given how few posters vote on articles they like!

To me the core of the issue is that games on Kickstarter are not bought on their qualities as games. They cannot be, because nobody has actually played them. And when you won't get them until one or two years later after the time of purchase, well, it's unavoidable, is it?

I also think it's impossible not to have a bit backlash if you point this out. Nobody wants to think they were duped into paying 300€ for a bad game they'll never play, even if it's true.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton, DarthJoJo

More
09 Jun 2021 16:13 #323832 by charlest
Had two reviews published today. The first is of Kolossal Games' Ruination, where I compare the evolution of Dudes on a Map style games to Glam Metal emerging from the New Wave of British Heavy Metal movement. playerelimination.com/2021/06/09/here-i-...-a-ruination-review/

Second review is of Uk'otoa, the first board game set in Critical Role's Exandria universe. I have a weird relationship with CR due to writing for Geek & Sundry for a few years, but this game intrigued me as it looked like it could be in that spiteful family weight category that Survive lives in. I love those types of games. I didn't love this one.
www.polygon.com/reviews/22526199/ukotoa-...le-board-game-review
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames, Erik Twice, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.414 seconds