October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

My first manual car

More
06 Dec 2019 15:19 #304829 by the_jake_1973
On Nov 21st, a teen driver decided to 'adjust the radio volume' and plowed into the back of my car at 35-40 miles an hour while I was stopped. No injuries to any drivers thankfully and I think the teen learned a valuable lesson at the cost of only a couple vehicles. Not that I was dying for a new car payment mind you....

This is the second car I have had totaled by the insurance. I really hate the pressure it puts on me to find an appropriate car before they officially 'total' the car and the rental is only covered for 3 further days. And there was the holiday to make things a bit more troublesome. On to FB marketplace and cars.com....woo hoo.

I found a number of cars in my range. Convertibles are not in high supply in Michigan this time of year, so I had to look further afield. I ended up dismissing the BMWs and Mercs due to possible repair pricing. I saw a nice Lexus, but the hood was a little wonky in the photo, so I wasn't sure it had a clean bill of health. Chrysler 200s were considered as I'm familiar with the platform having 3 Sebrings prior. The seats were just as uncomfortable as I remembered them being and the shape is not pleasing. I ended up going with a 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio dressed in red. Yes, I did buy an extended warranty.

When I first told my wife I was considering that car in particular, I did expect her to urge me back to the more responsible Chrysler 200. She did say that if I was going to get it, I would need to find a way to get it back to Michigan from Chicago. Having never driven a manual vehicle aside from a terribly failed attempt on a deuce and a half in the service, I was decidedly nervous. Thankfully, I have a decent car seat/wheel/pedal/shifter setup for my PSVR. I spent a couple hours in free roam mode getting used to the motions of shifting using the clutch pedal instead of the paddles. Shifting into first, I was not prepared for.

The test drive at the auto place did not start out great......much stalling was done, but I made it around the block and it felt pretty damn terrific. The dealer was in an industrial park so I practiced for about an hour before venturing out to the freeways. There was some stalling, but drivers were gracious. I had a very humbling experience at a rather full gas station where I stalled out about a dozen times before a random German came to give me some pointers in halting English. That did the trick and, rather than pulling off to the side and thanking them proper, I decided to maintain my momentum and drive off, waving to them. Danke, random German.

I've had the car nearly a week and I love it. It is a grumbly little fartbox that feels great to drive. My wife was surprised that, as a fan of driving, I had never had a manual before. There was always an intimidation factor that kept me away. I am glad I took the plunge and finally got one. I am having so much fun driving it and feel very connected to the road.

I do feel like I have just started a new game of Need for Speed and picked up the initial vehicle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2019 15:25 #304830 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic My first manual car
How did you get manual allowed on your license if you couldn't drive one?

More
06 Dec 2019 15:27 #304831 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic My first manual car
When I was a teenager, my dad tried to teach me how to drive a stick. Ten minutes later, we still hadn't left the driveway, and we were both outside the vehicle shouting at each other. In 2018, only 2% of the vehicles sold in the U.S. had a manual transmission, so I feel vindicated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
06 Dec 2019 15:44 #304835 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic My first manual car

ChristopherMD wrote: How did you get manual allowed on your license if you couldn't drive one?

I've never heard of transmission types being specified on a drivers license.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoelCFC25, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, lj1983, Pugnax555

More
06 Dec 2019 15:51 #304837 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic My first manual car

ChristopherMD wrote: How did you get manual allowed on your license if you couldn't drive one?

This is a thing? Here in Texas there is no distinction, only for commercial trucks and motorcycles.

My first, second, and fourth cars were all manuals, and I do miss having one. I didn't learn on one, but I quickly learned after getting my license, as that is what my Dad and Stepmom drove. But, living in Houston, manuals aren't that exciting day to day, and I like having a truck of sorts for utility. But every time I go on vacation to Europe, I demand I get a manual transmission car. My last trip to Switzerland, I had to wait an extra hour and a half at the car rental to get a manual (after they "upgraded" me to a automatic), but it was 100% worth the wait. Mountain driving and rural driving with an manual is amazing, usually the highlight of the trip for me personally. Funny thing, even going many years between opportunities, it's really easy to pick up driving a manual again (even using the left hand in England).

I keep thinking about finding an older/cheaper manual car as an occasional weekend/commute vehicle just for fun, but it's not really practical. Maybe when the kids finally leave. Or maybe just spend more time in Europe...

More
06 Dec 2019 16:03 #304840 by ChristopherMD
"If the driver takes the Skills Test in a vehicle that has an automatic transmission, then an “E” no manual transmission restriction is placed on their license."

More
06 Dec 2019 16:10 #304841 by Msample
Never heard of that one. Doesn't exist in NH at least.

More
06 Dec 2019 16:11 - 06 Dec 2019 16:12 #304842 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic My first manual car
Never heard of it myself either!

I taught a friend how to drive manual (I've driven them my whole life) in my old, precious VW GTI, so I feel you here. I miss that car still, had to buy a cheap replacement for it when it finally died after doing the 9 1/2 drive two times a week for two years. New one is a Buick wagon... auto.

Still have the spouse's manual SUV though.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2019 16:12 by Gary Sax.

More
06 Dec 2019 16:13 - 06 Dec 2019 16:15 #304843 by ChristopherMD

Msample wrote: Doesn't exist in NH at least.

Yes, it does. Although I may be misunderstanding something.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2019 16:15 by ChristopherMD.

More
06 Dec 2019 16:25 #304845 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic My first manual car
First car I owned was a stick. I had driven a stick a few times before I bought it, and the day after I bought it I drove it to visit my wife-to-be in Morgantown WV. The only piece of flat ground in Morgantown proper is the football field. The first few times I had to proceed from an uphill stop were exercises in terror.

That car was manual everything - steering, brakes, and transmission. It looked like Secret Squirrel's car, and I loved driving it.

More
06 Dec 2019 16:43 #304847 by ChristopherMD

Msample wrote: Never heard of that one. Doesn't exist in NH at least.

Where you at in NH? I used to live in Exeter/Hampton.

More
06 Dec 2019 17:31 #304851 by Msample
In theory it exists : www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/driver-l.../classifications.htm

But mine has no restriction listed for auto only . Maybe it’s only for new drivers?

I live in Milford, about 90 minutes WSW of Exeter.

More
06 Dec 2019 17:34 #304852 by ChristopherMD
Yeah I looked and it says they "may" apply restrictions.

More
06 Dec 2019 18:10 #304853 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic My first manual car
My first car was a stick, too. I knew how to drive one prior to getting my license and took the test in the manual. You settle into a rhythm pretty quickly, once you've learned the particular quirks of the car in question. Haven't driven one regularly since the early 90s, but I had to take a very drunk friend's car to his place a couple years back and I was the only one who knew how to drive one. My girlfriend was looking at me like I was performing magic.

More
06 Dec 2019 18:22 #304854 by engineer Al
Replied by engineer Al on topic My first manual car
Every car I have ever owned has been a manual. I enjoy driving that way. Automatic gets you where your going, but you are not “driving”. The decline in cars with available manual drive has me worried about my next car purchase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, birdman37, the_jake_1973

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds