October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What ANIMATION are you VIEWING?

More
24 Sep 2021 23:28 - 24 Sep 2021 23:29 #326751 by ChristopherMD
Star Wars Visions - An anthology of anime shorts. The first episode is one of the best Star Wars things I've ever seen. Coming full circle to a Samurai pic with a great art style. The rest are a mixed bag. The Japanese clearly have a very different view of Star Wars than Americans do. Which makes these all at least a little interesting.

Last edit: 24 Sep 2021 23:29 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2021 17:31 #326759 by jason10mm
Anyone watching Cowboy Bebop in prep for the live action Netflix show?

On the one hand, the Netflix show is probably shit compared to the anime and a recent viewing will just highlight this.

On the other hand maybe the complement each other well.

On the gripping hand you will ha e just seen one of the best animes ever so even if you nope out of the LA show at least you saw the anime :p

More
25 Sep 2021 18:43 #326760 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic What ANIME are you VIEWING?
I think it will be good.

More
25 Sep 2021 19:50 #326763 by DarthJoJo
I just watched the opening credits and am underwhelmed. It looks like the strictest possible interpretation of the source material. There are hints of shots of Pierrot le Fou, Teddy Bomber, the monkey terrorists, that pile of TVs from the cult episode, Red Eye couple and martial artist Kareem Abdul Jabbar. It looks like a remake in the most literal sense. They’re not adding anything new. They’re not giving me a reason to watch beyond “Faye has knives” and “animation is for kids, live action is for adults.” The odds are low, but even if they nail it, why not just watch the prime material again?

And John Cho’s wig looks terrible.

I feel for the creators. What are they supposed to do? Cowboy Bebop is weird. It encompasses Alien, Pierrot le Fou and the mushroom episode. It’s more a tone than a fully realized universe. You could more easily create an original series about a garrison of Gondor’s soldiers protecting Osgiliath than anything new with the Bebop crew. You could lean into the crime stories, but it wouldn’t feel right without the immortal harmonica player or adventures in Betamax or Cowboy Andy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jason10mm

More
25 Sep 2021 21:27 #326765 by Gary Sax
I agree with you, I'll probably watch it but I just don't see how it will translate regardless of the skill of those involved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
26 Sep 2021 00:23 #326766 by hotseatgames
I hope it will be good. Seems like Ed isn’t in it, so who knows. I also don’t think a live action show will in any way detract from the anime, good or bad.

More
27 Sep 2021 12:28 #326787 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic What ANIME are you VIEWING?

hotseatgames wrote: I hope it will be good. Seems like Ed isn’t in it, so who knows. I also don’t think a live action show will in any way detract from the anime, good or bad.

With the decisions they've made so far has put this on the HARD PASS list for me. I'll just stick with the anime.

More
27 Sep 2021 16:24 #326795 by Shellhead
Years after Firefly was on tv, I finally watched Cowboy Bebop, which seems like a major inspiration for Firefly. Aside from the amazing theme song, I was very underwhelmed by Cowboy Bebop. I disliked all the characters, especially Ed, and yet the only episode that I really enjoyed was the one that featured Ed. But I'm a big fan of Firefly, though not too big to overlook the weaknesses in Firefly. Anyway, I don't feel any interest in a live-action Cowboy Bebop.

More
27 Sep 2021 16:28 #326796 by Sagrilarus
Cowboy BeBop didn't grip me either. Though the early episode where they pick up the dog has some pretty amusing moments.

A remake has potential. There's a good idea there, but it's all about the execution, isn't it?

More
28 Sep 2021 16:30 #326817 by hotseatgames
I don't have a reference link, but apparently Netflix has confirmed that Ed WILL be in the show, but they didn't say how or when.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
28 Sep 2021 19:47 #326822 by ChristopherMD
Cowboy Bebop is a cool anime but I haven't watched it in twenty years. I'm taking a wait-and-read approach with the tv show. If it gets really good reviews I'll check it out because I like sci-fi. Otherwise I have plenty of other shit to watch nowadays.

More
29 Sep 2021 08:28 #326833 by san il defanso
I'm actually watching Cowboy Bebop for the first time, having just completed the first season of it. I dunno, I like it a lot. I think it has a different pace and feel than anime often has, which is kind of a welcome respite. I tend to like anime, but its long-form story telling wears on me, so something more episodic like CB works well for me.

The live action show might be good. It also might be bad. I do not know which.

More
29 Sep 2021 10:39 - 29 Sep 2021 10:39 #326834 by Shellhead
I recently started watching The Brave & the Bold cartoon on HBO Max. It's based on the long-running silver age DC comic of the same name, which was a monthly team-up book of Batman and a guest hero. The comics played fast and loose with continuity, leaving the creative team free to feature all kinds of characters from other times and places, including Sergeant Rock (WWII), Wildcat (Earth-2), and Kamandi (post-apocalyptic future). This cartoon is similar, and leans into a light-hearted blend of DC's silver age and modern fare.

An episode generally starts in medias res with Batman and a guest star wrapping up some adventure. Then the opening credits roll, followed by the main portion of the episode, often featuring a different guest star. This is a silver age Batman, so he is like a dignified version of Adam West Batman. There is some humor in the mix, but the best lines only elicit a smile from me. Good fun for the whole family. The nostalgia gets to me, as one of the first few comics that I bought as a kid was an issue of The Brave & the Bold that featured Etrigan the Demon, and he appears in one of the early episodes of the show.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2021 10:39 by Shellhead. Reason: paragraphs
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, ChristopherMD, sornars

More
29 Sep 2021 17:51 #326843 by Michael Barnes
I like B&B better than the venerable BTAS, if I’m being honest. It’s quite often laugh out loud funny and it goes DEEP into the DC vaults- when you are rolling out Gentleman Ghost, you are going way deep. There’s an episode with the Doon Patrol that’s great and the Aquaman family vacation episode is a masterpiece.

There is also a hilarious skewering of “gritty” Batman fandom delivered by Batmite.

More
29 Sep 2021 20:07 #326850 by san il defanso
In a parallel world, Brave and the Bold would have become the template for the DC franchises. In that world there’s no pandemic, and fascism died the death it deserves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds