October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2630 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What HOT TAKES are you taking?

More
16 Sep 2022 10:57 #335610 by stormseeker75
Another hot take related to the post above: Jim Cornette can suck it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2022 11:25 #335612 by fightcitymayor

stormseeker75 wrote: Another hot take related to the post above: Jim Cornette can suck it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
16 Sep 2022 18:01 #335616 by jason10mm

Frohike wrote: These AI generated images bring up lots of questions for me, specifically about "genre" art, especially in genres that oversaturate the current visual design space. In a sense, current pulp fantasy art might as well be algorithmically generated in a lot of cases, especially when we're looking at hyper-representational public domain sourced material (Conan, Cthulhu, etc). Then there are the stylistic outliers, like Virgil Finlay (Cosmic Frog), or stuff like Dungeon Degenerates or Cave Evil where AI generation would lose something in translation. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something that feels subversively "ok" about letting AI sift through the murk of over-used art styles to barf out usable material.

Hot take: The AI is better than 85.6% of human artists.

Seriously, for kinda dreamy semi-surreal stuff, the AI is damn near perfect, that slight lack of human perspective is actually quite captivating.

I'm not sure AI can generate art that shares a single artists style though. It's nice when a game or comic has consistent art with a unique style.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Frohike, Gregarius, mtagge

More
16 Sep 2022 20:25 #335617 by Virabhadra
There are a couple folks on the Cave Evil Discord who have been playing with AI-generated art to submit for Chaos Pack 3. Looks pretty good to me:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, jason10mm, Frohike

More
16 Sep 2022 20:42 - 16 Sep 2022 20:46 #335618 by Sagrilarus

n815e wrote: I just finished reading the first of the Elric Saga hardback editions (the new collection). This one has four novels in it.

Never read Elric before.

I regret buying the second in the series without reading the first.

The stories get set up where I think this is a cool situation, something fun or interesting will happen. But then the rest of the story is just a series of badly scripted rpg style encounters. You run into some (random generated) beasts and fight them. You come across a stranger that will instantly be your best ally. Here are more enemies to fight. You fall into a marsh. Here are some additional enemies. You make it to the castle. In this room are just a bunch of enemies (none seem to be thematically tied to any of the others).

It’s kinda dull. I don’t feel like the characters have any depth, even Elric. I don’t feel invested in what is happening. It’s disappointing.

If I recall correctly Elric was written as a serial for a monthly magazine. So it has an episodic cadence to it.

But I agree, as did my English major buddy Pat in college. He read Stormbringer first and imagined all sorts of backstory had proceeded it. Then he read the backstory and said something on the line of, “there’s no foundation here.”. It kicked the legs out from under his opinion of Stormbringer after the fact. That’s why I always get concerned when someone wants to do an origin story for a bad guy. Their badness is diminished; sometimes you’re just better off leaving Vader in the mask.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2022 20:46 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
17 Sep 2022 13:09 #335621 by Cranberries

n815e wrote: sometimes you’re just better off leaving Vader in the mask.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
17 Sep 2022 21:26 #335625 by dysjunct
It’s been a few years since I read Elric (low quality sci fi book club hardbacks from the early 90s, still on the shelf). When it first read it as a kid, I read it right after reading Conan, so I loved it as the louche anti-Conan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
17 Sep 2022 22:57 #335626 by Da Bid Dabid

stormseeker75 wrote: Chris Jericho is the GOAT of professional wrestling.

stormseeker75 wrote: Another hot take related to the post above: Jim Cornette can suck it.

#1 Uhhh, no.

#2 Sure.

My turn: I may never buy another board game again. (I still love playing them though!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Cranberries, stormseeker75

More
18 Sep 2022 17:27 #335629 by Shellhead

Ah_Pook wrote: A well regarded thing you like is actually bad, while an unpopular thing you dislike is actually the best thing.

More
18 Sep 2022 17:43 #335630 by Greg Aleknevicus
Playing board games online is better than playing in-person.

More
18 Sep 2022 18:09 #335632 by mtagge

jason10mm wrote:
Hot take: The AI is better than 85.6% of human artists.

Seriously, for kinda dreamy semi-surreal stuff, the AI is damn near perfect, that slight lack of human perspective is actually quite captivating.

I'm not sure AI can generate art that shares a single artists style though. It's nice when a game or comic has consistent art with a unique style.

To steal that thought and take it further. AI art is probably better for stand alone art. Human direction is probably still better for when the art is secondary to some other purpose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
21 Sep 2022 00:57 #335676 by Gary Sax
"This Year" by the Mountain Goats is one of the greatest songs ever written.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer

More
21 Sep 2022 14:36 #335692 by Cranberries

Greg Aleknevicus wrote: Playing board games online is better than playing in-person.

Ho ho, shots fired! I felt a physical reaction to this post!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
21 Sep 2022 14:37 #335693 by Cranberries

Gary Sax wrote: "This Year" by the Mountain Goats is one of the greatest songs ever written.

I'll start a separate thread entitled, "Undeniable facts" if you'd like.

See also: "No Children"

More
21 Sep 2022 15:51 #335694 by Legomancer

Cranberries wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: "This Year" by the Mountain Goats is one of the greatest songs ever written.

I'll start a separate thread entitled, "Undeniable facts" if you'd like.

See also: "No Children"

Darnielle is an incredible songwriter with some breathtaking lyrics. I follow him on Twitter where you can find out that a) he is extremely funny b) he loves playing Magic the Gathering Arena
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds