October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Marvel's are you Snapping?

More
14 Nov 2022 06:52 #336782 by DarthJoJo
What’s the Destroyer deck then?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2022 09:50 #336784 by WadeMonnig

WadeMonnig wrote: Destroyer with Nova, Wolverine, colossus, and armor (for some destructables) could be workable. Just the typical drawback of hoping you pull him.

If I had Destroyer I would put together a deck with Nova, Wolverine, Colossus, Armor, Bucky, Peofessor X and Cosmo (to cancel Destroyers on reveal if needed). Since I don't have it, I can't experiment. Maybe Iceman. Korg, Yondo, forge and scorpion in some capacity.

More
14 Nov 2022 10:16 #336787 by Jexik

dragonstout wrote:
Destroyer's awesome, I'm rank 86 right now largely using Destroyer.

The game is amazing, best CCG since Magic and best Marvel game ever too. Complaining about the randomness feels like complaining that poker hands are random; that's what the cube is for.

86?! I’m down to 17 after the monthly reset. Did you play before release?

More
14 Nov 2022 11:39 #336790 by WadeMonnig

Jexik wrote:

dragonstout wrote:

The game is amazing, best CCG since Magic and best Marvel game ever too. Complaining about the randomness feels like complaining that poker hands are random; that's what the cube is for.

Reset put me to 30. I'm currently 47. 86 sounds impossible for me to hit as well.

More
14 Nov 2022 17:49 #336802 by Jexik
Reset knocked me all the way down to 10. I had been bouncing from 39-43. It’s entirely possible I’m mediocre at the game.

More
15 Nov 2022 03:56 #336813 by dragonstout

Jexik wrote:

dragonstout wrote:

Nope, started a few days after the release. I'm down to 82 now though. The friends I have who are down in the 30s are bad at snapping; good snapping is arguably more important than a high win rate: you can literally in THEORY have a 12.5% win rate and still progress, and you can certainly have a very high win rate and nonetheless go negative. It's rough now, though, I'm playing against a ton of infinite (i.e. level 100) players, but it's teaching me tons and tons of tricks. We're at the level of knowing what a snap at a specific moment *means* (e.g. a snap from the opponent after you play a Wong means they have a Cosmo they're playing to Wong or a Professor X that they're going to play at a different location to block Tigers). The most recent play I was really impressed by was them baiting me into playing a Destroyer into a "guaranteed win" full location instead of into a Devil Dino; then, on the Devil Dino location, they play Nova and Carnage, so Carnage eats freaking Devil Dino (!) but the Nova gives the other location the +4 necessary to beat my Destroyer. Just constantly seeing creative and unusual plays. In fact, the trouble I'm having now that's stopping me from climbing into the 90s is that folks know what to expect from my deck, so I usually only get 2 cubes per win (I double once it's clear to me that I'm going to win before the board shows it, but they retreat before turn 6).

It features front-and-center one of my favorite game lessons: humility. Fighting against the human urge to think "but I could win if things go well!" is a valuable skill.

Destroyer slots right into the "everything ongoing" deck that y'all are probably already familiar with from all the way back in pool 1, with Spectrum et al., because Armor, Professor X, and Cosmo all protect your stuff from the Destroyer (and Colossus to a more minor but definitely very relevant extent).
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, WadeMonnig, DarthJoJo

More
16 Nov 2022 14:28 #336861 by the_jake_1973
The Snap use is like the doubling cube in backgammon although there is a bit more bluff involved since you can't see people's hands. I'm still rolling a Devil Dino deck, but put an entirely 3 cost deck together to breeze through the Wakanda challenge. I'm in the 480's for the collection level and only level 24 since the reboot. I tend not to play unless there are weekly missions involved.

I need to focus on a move deck next.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
16 Nov 2022 19:01 #336874 by DarthJoJo
Finally slotted Destroyer into a Spectrum deck and having a blast. Two win conditions in pumping ongoing cards or surprise Nova kill are more fun and take more thought than my old two Devil Dinosaur build. Pretty strong, too. It got me to rank 52 despite still learning the strategy.

More
17 Nov 2022 09:13 #336877 by WadeMonnig
I'm running a modified move deck for a couple of reasons. One, i need to play 5 power cards and my typical decks lack them and Im using storm to get rid of warrior falls when it pops up.
# (1) Iron Fist
# (2) Dagger
# (2) Multiple Man
# (2) Cloak
# (3) Storm
# (3) Doctor Strange
# (3) Vulture
# (3) Hulkbuster
# (4) Jessica Jones
# (4) Miles Morales
# (5) Captain Marvel
# (6) Heimdall
Also, just wanted to try out captian marvel who I just pulled.

More
18 Nov 2022 01:17 #336889 by dragonstout

WadeMonnig wrote: Also, just wanted to try out captian marvel who I just pulled.

Captain Marvel is bah-roken in Shuri's Lab. Enjoy! (I have neither her nor Dagger from your list)

I'm finding extremely difficult to climb past the 80s; it's semi-rare that a game makes it all the way to the end, so I'm often only getting 1-2 cubes per win...and to be honest, often when the game makes it to the end it was because I was an idiot. Most embarrassing moment was losing 12 cubes against a freaking Agatha Harkness deck (an 8-cube game and a 4-cube retreat against the same player, they doubled on turn 1 both games).
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig, DarthJoJo

More
18 Nov 2022 21:17 - 19 Nov 2022 09:52 #336902 by WadeMonnig
EDIT-Oops, can't link Instagram here.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2022 09:52 by WadeMonnig.

More
21 Nov 2022 12:37 #336924 by WadeMonnig
If you are looking to climb the ranks and have Wong, this deck is pretty damn Fantastic. Black Panther isn't required but gives you more options:
# (1) Iceman
# (1) Ebony Maw
# (2) Okoye
# (2) Scorpion
# (3) Ironheart
# (3) Wolfsbane
# (3) Storm
# (4) Wong
# (5) White Tiger
# (5) Black Panther
# (6) Doctor Doom
# (6) Odin

I'm currently running a modified version of this. It's easy to tell if you are going to win or lose without your opponent being able to do the same.

# (1) Iceman
# (1) Ebony Maw
# (2) Psylocke
# (2) Okoye
# (2) Scorpion
# (3) Storm
# (3) Wave
# (4) Wong
# (5) White Tiger
# (5) Black Panther
# (6) Doctor Doom
# (6) Odin

More
23 Nov 2022 22:11 #336983 by DarthJoJo
Big news yesterday revealing how new sets will be integrated into the game (pools 4 and 5 eventually filtering into 3) and a new currency for targeting the pool 3 cards you want. Mostly seems reasonable. Not excited about a third currency to track, but it’s a way to get the actual cards you want and build the decks you want.

Won a game with a single Destroyer on my board. I wiped the characters from the location I was behind in and Destroyer won his, but the fun was at Bar Sinister. I had dropped Nova there before it flipped and thus had one character when my opponent dropped Hobgoblin to fill my side except for the left behind. Destroyer cleared up my negative points and left his, giving me the win.

Yes, Snap remains random, but that same randomness sometimes presents fun puzzles and moments like this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, ecargo, WadeMonnig

More
24 Nov 2022 12:09 #336990 by WadeMonnig

DarthJoJo wrote: Big news yesterday revealing how new sets will be integrated into the game (pools 4 and 5 eventually filtering into 3) and a new currency for targeting the pool 3 cards you want. Mostly seems reasonable. Not excited about a third currency to track, but it’s a way to get the actual cards you want and build the decks you want.

Won a game with a single Destroyer on my board. I wiped the characters from the location I was behind in and Destroyer won his, but the fun was at Bar Sinister. I had dropped Nova there before it flipped and thus had one character when my opponent dropped Hobgoblin to fill my side except for the left behind. Destroyer cleared up my negative points and left his, giving me the win.

Yes, Snap remains random, but that same randomness sometimes presents fun puzzles and moments like this.

Love the new update info. Especially since I've hit where I only have a 25% chance of getting a new card every 12 collection levels. I'll lock in/token in Deadpool, Human Torch, and Venom as soon as I see them. They might not be in the decks I run the majority of the time but they would accent the decks I really have fun with. I did get electro which I added to my Wong deck which overcomes the "turn five cards cost 1 more" location and opens up playing Odin and Doctor Doooooom one round earlier.

More
25 Nov 2022 19:19 - 25 Nov 2022 19:21 #337023 by dragonstout
I feel semi-obnoxious posting this, but on the other hand, I'm pretty darn proud (and I'm looking forward to goofing around with decks that I feel less stressed about losing cubes with):
(eh I can't figure out how to post an image, but I made it to infinite)
Last edit: 25 Nov 2022 19:21 by dragonstout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, sornars, ecargo, WadeMonnig, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds