October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

Michael Barnes: Still raising ire after sixteen years in exile

More
01 Feb 2023 19:47 #338153 by dysjunct
The general BGG forums are unreadable. Half the readers are entitled babies who demand that every game have a solo mode, have miniatures, and support 1-12 players equally well. (I saw a thread from someone wondering if a social deduction game would have a solo mode.) The other half are wannabe alpha douches who need to prove how elegant their tastes are. For general boardgame discussion, I come here.

The specific game forums are okay, depending on the game. Most of the annoying general discussion twerps avoid forums for games that are more than a year old (takes valuable time away from obsessively refreshing Kickstarter stretch goals).

RPGgeek is laid back for the most part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, Msample, Jackwraith, mezike, Frohike, sornars, Nodens, Smeagol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2023 08:06 - 02 Feb 2023 13:54 #338159 by san il defanso
Yeah, I've had basically no BGG drama, i.e. never been banned or even given a warning. But I participate on there very rarely, because most people want something in this hobby very different from what I want. That's fine, I really don't need the community online beyond what I have here and on Discord.

I find it most useful for things like trading, the marketplace, and to get quick info on a new-ish game about which I know nothing. Geekbuddies are very useful for that. That's a LOT of games for me, since I just don't get much through hobby osmosis any more.

I also am a little embarrassed to admit that I really enjoy the micro badges. I do wish I could trade away old ones though. The 2009 version of me thought I'd love Puzzle Strike forever, which has not proven true.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2023 13:54 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, sornars, ecargo

More
02 Feb 2023 08:12 - 02 Feb 2023 08:13 #338161 by charlest
You can delete old microbadges Nate. Can't trade them though.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2023 08:13 by charlest.

More
02 Feb 2023 21:24 #338165 by Msample
Is there a Michael Barnes Was Right micro badge ? I’ve got tons of GeekGold burning a hole in my pocket .
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, san il defanso, hotseatgames, Frohike, Virabhadra

More
02 Feb 2023 23:24 #338166 by Virabhadra
What is the Michael Barnes Was Right microbadge a picture of? We already have a badge for Fortress:AT.

I also think a "Sturgeon's Law - 90% of Board Games Are Crap" microbadge would be funny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
03 Feb 2023 01:24 - 03 Feb 2023 01:26 #338168 by jay718
Hope everything's alright with MB. Can't remember him ever being absent from the site for this long, especially when his name's come up. Crickets for a month and a half in the secret satan thread as well. Hope you're well, bud.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2023 01:26 by jay718. Reason: Wholem Pickle
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, sornars

More
03 Feb 2023 02:24 #338169 by san il defanso
He's still active over on Twitter, so it's possible he's just not in a board game mood right now. He's definitely in a music mood though, if his tweets are any indication.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, sornars

More
03 Feb 2023 05:25 - 03 Feb 2023 05:57 #338170 by sornars
I think he's making a conscious decision to spend less time, money and space on board games. I don't agree with his new philosophy which appears to be along the lines of "a lot of that time I spent on games and miniatures was a waste"; it's an odd twist from a guy who spent over a decade telling us that games were important and deserve proper critical treatment. He seems to hold music as a "better" passion to have but he does seem happier now that he has rediscovered playing guitar. He's still very online on Twitter if you want to check in on him.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2023 05:57 by sornars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Virabhadra

More
03 Feb 2023 07:29 #338171 by san il defanso
MB has always been given to a bit of hyperbole, so I assume he'll be back on the game truck at some point. But I do understand his weariness with jumping into the game subculture, because that can be exhausting sometimes. I know that I frequently have to step away from online spaces to maintain my sanity. But I'm usually back, because I don't have many other ways to actually engage with the hobby these days.

All that to say, I'm somewhat sympathetic to his attitude, but I would like to see him back here soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Cranberries, sornars

More
03 Feb 2023 08:40 #338172 by charlest

sornars wrote: I think he's making a conscious decision to spend less time, money and space on board games. I don't agree with his new philosophy which appears to be along the lines of "a lot of that time I spent on games and miniatures was a waste"; it's an odd twist from a guy who spent over a decade telling us that games were important and deserve proper critical treatment. He seems to hold music as a "better" passion to have but he does seem happier now that he has rediscovered playing guitar. He's still very online on Twitter if you want to check in on him.

Michael has always seemed to rejuvenate himself and find happiness with radical shifts in his pursuits. He found his passion with Ameritrash in the early 2000s and railing against folks on BGG. He renewed his energy when he became Editor in Chief of the Review Corner at MM. Then he found himself again enjoying the hobby when he returned to German Eurogames. Then it was miniatures gaming as he got back into Warhammer Age of Sigmar. Then it was stripping it all down and returning to simpler games. Now it's playing the guitar and forsaking gaming culture.

Glad he's able to retain passion and found a way to stave off burn out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Gary Sax, Jexik, sornars, n815e

More
03 Feb 2023 09:35 - 03 Feb 2023 09:40 #338173 by Jexik
Meanwhile your article got him to comment on games again. Heh.

Maybe I should pick up the bass again.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2023 09:40 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, charlest

More
03 Feb 2023 12:56 - 03 Feb 2023 12:58 #338175 by SuperflyPete
I feel like “Michael Barnes” is synonymous with “Existential Angst” and he is always trying to rediscover himself through his art and hobbies. Totally healthy thing, I’d argue.

So him having less words left for games to make way for more notes played definitely is something I can relate to. His comment that he wasted time playing games belies the obvious: it was never about games, it’s about spending time with cool people making cool stories. Games is just the setting, but the theme is “Meet Cool People, Do Cool Shit”. He just changed the setting.

I look forward to his rants against European music and how “These Songs Of Ours” are the bane of all musicianship.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2023 12:58 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
03 Feb 2023 13:44 #338176 by ChristopherMD
Im guessing with the modern churn of boardgame releases it felt more like a boring career than a paying hobby. Whereas guitar playing is, presumably, just a fun hobby.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
03 Feb 2023 14:41 #338179 by dysjunct
I am optimistic that guitar can also become a boring career.

Barnes’ Twitter has changed from breathless gushing about board games to breathless gushing about effects pedals. If it’s his happy place, then that’s cool though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, SuperflyPete

More
03 Feb 2023 18:53 #338181 by Sagrilarus
Today he called out Charlie's top-notch article on replayability. Not to be missed.

playerelimination.com/2023/02/02/dominion-killed-replayability/
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds