October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2655 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

Michael Barnes: Still raising ire after sixteen years in exile

More
04 Feb 2023 14:29 #338186 by thegiantbrain
I find BGG so weird. As a resource for information about titles etc. it's great. As a content creator who wants to promote themselves its terrible. I no longer post there as I was fed up giving them free content for little benefit to me. Twice I had reviews rejected for no reason, change like a single word and resubmitted and then it was fine. That they have the store now, advertising and pretty much all the staff and moderators are unpaid volunteers gives me the boke.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Legomancer, Msample, Jackwraith, Frohike, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2023 14:50 - 07 Feb 2023 11:13 #338187 by Sagrilarus
BGG is largely a site about collecting now. Most discussions are about the look and feel, about availability and prices. That's fine, but it's a different hobby from the one I'm in. We just happen to share the same physical object. I get the feeling they would wig out if they saw the way I treat my games.

If your questions and comments are on that line of things then you'll do ok.

As for "say something nice" I wholeheartedly endorse that phrase when you start to type. As often as not someone spits something out without thinking that is rude. A momentary review of intention never hurts. That said, you can provide legit criticism in a nice way. Just brace for impact if you do it for the way the game looks.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2023 11:13 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, Frohike

More
06 Feb 2023 08:38 #338194 by Legomancer

thegiantbrain wrote: I find BGG so weird. As a resource for information about titles etc. it's great. As a content creator who wants to promote themselves its terrible. I no longer post there as I was fed up giving them free content for little benefit to me. Twice I had reviews rejected for no reason, change like a single word and resubmitted and then it was fine. That they have the store now, advertising and pretty much all the staff and moderators are unpaid volunteers gives me the boke.

The user base approving content has been ridiculous for years. It's not anyone with any real ability evaluating, just some rando looking for geekgold. It's an absolute crapshoot what will get approved or rejected, and it has been for as long as I can remember.

But I agree that the site is about consumption and "collecting" now. I use it to track my plays and games owned and to look up rules questions and that's largely it. Even before my ban I had decided that engaging in any conversations there was wasted time and had mostly stopped.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, southernman, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Msample, n815e

More
07 Feb 2023 11:20 #338209 by Sagrilarus

Legomancer wrote: The user base approving content has been ridiculous for years.

Free labor. That has always been the internet dream, a machine rolling money in, little or no overhead costs. That's why social media can exist.

My bigger concern is that the game is moving from nerds to the general public, which is fine, but it's falling into the deep part of the current where it looks like every other tabletop web site out there. In the past its strength was being the owner of the deep-thinking part of the subject.

I suppose they know what they're doing, where the money comes from.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Cranberries, SuperflyPete, Erik Twice

More
07 Feb 2023 14:11 #338215 by Virabhadra

More
07 Feb 2023 16:32 #338217 by Msample

Legomancer wrote:

thegiantbrain wrote:
The user base approving content has been ridiculous for years. It's not anyone with any real ability evaluating, just some rando looking for geekgold. It's an absolute crapshoot what will get approved or rejected, and it has been for as long as I can remember.

I submitted a new game that took nearly 3 weeks to get approved. It'd be easier to allow games to be instantly go live then edited if there's a problem I'd think but WTF knows.

More
07 Feb 2023 16:56 #338218 by Shellhead
I suppose the admins must carefully study a game like Busen Memo before allowing the BGG users to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
07 Feb 2023 17:53 #338219 by Msample
And the mod still fucked up the URL I requested for the game I submitted. Its like the mods are a basement of monkeys at typewriters sometimes.

More
08 Feb 2023 00:56 #338224 by birdman37

Msample wrote: Its like the mods are a basement of monkeys at typewriters sometimes.

I mean, BGG is paying peanuts...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
08 Feb 2023 21:36 #338270 by Not Sure

birdman37 wrote:

Msample wrote: Its like the mods are a basement of monkeys at typewriters sometimes.

I mean, BGG is paying peanuts...

media.tenor.com/2faFWy4oJvQAAAAC/kenny-were-the-millers.gif
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds