October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Board Game have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
01 Jul 2009 18:47 #33556 by Michael Barnes
No, I don't. Especially if you sucked at it.
The topic has been locked.
More
03 Jul 2009 02:18 #33615 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re:What have you been playing?
I have been playing a lot of Twilight Struggle recently - I was hesitant to buy it as it is just 2-player game but man that game is great! Lives up to all the buzz here and there.

Indonesia is also one of my favourite games this month - heavy euro with lots of interaction, strategy options and great looking map. Lov eit so far.

Conquest of Paradise - nice light game with historical flavor, simple but engaging and fun.
More
14 Jul 2009 14:04 #34903 by Aarontu
So, I got Arkham Horror a couple days ago (a birthday gift), and I had the chance to read through all the rules and play a solo game with 2 investigators.

I was Indiana Jones and the salesman vs. Nyarthalotep. I think I spent my clues too freely and never had enough to seal any gates. I only closed one gate before Nyar- woke up. I may have beat him if the dude with all the good stuff wasn't cursed at the time.

After playing, I realized I missed two things:
-I forgot to do any horror checks.
-I forgot to draw my random starting equipment (Crap! That may have made the game slightly easier!)

It's a fun game, and I look forward to playing it more! I think my wife will really like it, too, which would be great.
More
14 Jul 2009 14:11 #34907 by OldHippy
For us it's been Cutthroat Caverns... based on Barnes review we picked it up and man... what a great dynamic! We were so emotional and angry at each other. One player duoubled anothers damage just to stop the monster from living for another round and another guy cancelled it because he wanted the kill. Well the original dude cancelled that (some say out of spite) and boy did the kill hungry jerk get angry. He started yelling about how much he hated John and how John does this to him all the time and it's just revenge for some TI3 bullshit that went down like 3 MONTHS ago (this is possible).

Then everything was awkward and we just played in silence for maybe one round... yelling started again. Boy is that game emotional! Awesome awesome game. Go buy it, and the 2nd expansion. You won't be dissapointed.
More
14 Jul 2009 15:03 #34924 by Ska_baron
Another 3 games of LNoE's basic game (again teaching newbs), and I think I'm officially done with this. Next one's GOTTA be an advanced scenario or i'll go nuts. Finally got in 2 zombie wins by killing 2 heroes each time and got blasted the third game, though rechecking, we played LoS rules slightly wrong AND I played "cornered" and then promptly forgot to roll the extra dice (and I have 5 zombies in one space against two heroes!). Ugh - I blame the beer. And the late hour. Oh well.

Such a great game though.
More
14 Jul 2009 15:29 #34927 by Michael Barnes
I'm trying very desparately to get a MARE NOSTRUM game going for thursday but it looks like Branham is dead set on making us play some bizarro game that we'll never see again. or SILVERTON. I'd like to try SILVERTON.

Played WORLD WAR IV...or tried to. I refuse to review it since we didn't make it through two turns, but I'm still going to write about it. Also got a little SMALL WORLD going last week, RRT:EUROPE, MAGICIAL ATHELETE, Branham's highland cock game...
More
14 Jul 2009 15:37 #34928 by san il defanso
I recently bought War of the Ring, and I've gotten in two games of it. I'd like to play more, but it's been a little tricky to find opponents sometimes. I do enjoy the game quite a bit though.

I've been playing some Dominion: Intrigue as well, or rather Intrigue mixed with the base game. I like it a lot.
More
14 Jul 2009 15:43 #34929 by Pat II
Almost exclusively solo Tide of Iron lately.
More
14 Jul 2009 16:37 #34932 by OldHippy
Pat II wrote:

Almost exclusively solo Tide of Iron lately.

Good man, good man. With any expansions? I love the rescue mission scenario in Days of the Fox, but Frank Chadwicks scenario in the Designer Book is pretty awesome and quickly becoming a favorite as well.
More
14 Jul 2009 17:15 #34940 by metalface13
You're going to laugh, but lately I've been playing Race For the Galaxy ... online ... solo games ...
More
14 Jul 2009 17:57 - 14 Jul 2009 17:59 #34943 by Notahandle
And here was I thinking that I'm the only RftG fan here. (Probably played 8-10 FTF games the other day.)

EDIT- I keep meaning to register on genie.game-host.org but it keeps timing out.
Last edit: 14 Jul 2009 17:59 by Notahandle.
More
14 Jul 2009 18:23 #34947 by Michael Barnes
Madre de dios, what is this? Match.com? Get a room, you two.
More
14 Jul 2009 19:00 #34948 by metalface13
Notahandle wrote:

And here was I thinking that I'm the only RftG fan here. (Probably played 8-10 FTF games the other day.)

EDIT- I keep meaning to register on genie.game-host.org but it keeps timing out.

It's a decent enough implementation. The one thing that is annoying is that rather than pick the one card you want you have to click, one by one, each card you want to discard.
More
14 Jul 2009 19:04 #34949 by Dr. Mabuse
On Sunday I played 3 person Cosmic Encounter with yellow and red aliens and flares. Holy shit, I can't get enough of this game. I'd love to get a full 5 player game soon.
More
14 Jul 2009 20:33 #34961 by Mr Skeletor
Ska_baron wrote:

Another 3 games of LNoE's basic game (again teaching newbs),

Don't waste your time, just move straight to the full game. The only difference is a few extra rules.
Flying frog really need to ditch the whole 'basic game' thing - they were unbalanced in both LNOE and ATOE.

Personally I've been playing

Arkham solo (want to beat each expansion once in a row, then each herald)
Cutthroat caverns
Glaxy Trucker
Khet (just got it for $40, w00t!)
Small world

Still deciding what to take to tommorow nights game night.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.965 seconds