October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Board Game have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
03 Jun 2009 14:17 #31273 by Ska_baron
Last Night on Earth with my wife, brother in law and sister in law.

Basic scenario and they were probably 4-5 turns from losing due to time and had about 9 Zeds to bag. I pointed this out to them in hopes of motivating them. I didnt wanna crush them, I wanted em to have fun! So the sheriff finally starts hitting with his gun AND finds a chainsaw - bloodbath. 3 kills in a turn! Then I finally surround and kill the farmgirl (who did NOTHING all game). Replaced by the Rev. who conveniently finds the signal flare and heads to the hanger. They won on the last turn. It was great. They were standing and cheering and I could just smile. They earned it and I didnt go easy on them much at all.

Dominion, mostly with the wife.
Having fun trying out different combinations. Worried though that this one's gonna get stale fast... hope not! Maybe it'll be a primer for Magic for her though...

Scrabble!
Finally won one against my wife! Though there were two other people playing as opposed to our usual 2 player games. First turn: Blitz =) 54 points is good for me.
The topic has been locked.
More
03 Jun 2009 14:18 #31274 by Rliyen
Warzone: 1st Edition: Played Capitol vs. Ilian. I wrote up parts 1 & 2. Part 3+ is going to have to wait, as work is kicking my ass.

Dark Cults: Played Death, friend played Life. I lost by three frickin' points and she kept ending the nights prematurely before I could GURKA the victim, er, protagonist.

AT-43: Operation Damocles: I got the initiation set for a steal from Tanga. Pulled it out and drooled on it. The miniatures are pre-painted (Heroscape+ paint jobs) and the game, that I see so far, isn't bad at all. Furthermore, I can proxy these fine minis as Warzone figures (Currently, I'm using 40k, Void, and a little bit of Warzone to play).

Fallout: Finished the original last night, sans Power Armor! Lots of bad endings (took too long). Rebooted a new character and decided to do something silly. Gave all my points that I could distribute amongst the attributes and put it all to Luck. So he's Luck 10 (Heroic) and Agl 6 (small frame) and 5's in the rest. I'll tell you how it pans out.

Guild Wars: Factions: Thanks to Thaadd, I've been playing this off and on. I like the background of this particular set (Asian ala Jade Empire), but mostly playing solo. The other "players" just plain get on my nerves.

The Ship: Help me....

Ghost Master: A silly, fun little game that is like Dungeon Keeper meets Beetlejuice. Parodies of Evil Dead, The Amityville Horror, and Blair Witch Project abound.
More
03 Jun 2009 14:27 #31277 by Michael Barnes
Hey, welcome aboard Pnumekin...sounds like you're getting the young'uns off to a good start.

I'm not really playing jack shit right now. One of my game groups is a shambles and the other doesn't meet regularly. Lately, I've been playing oddball fare with Branham...FORTUNE 500, a surprisingly good old timey business game where you can run real-life corporations such as Guiness into ruin...tried SMALL WORLD, it was OK...played GAME Z last week, full review coming at Cracked LCD...

LOTS of ROCK BAND...DISGAEA on DS (does the game ever really end...PUNCH-OUT...LUNAR KNIGHTS...NEW SUPER MARIO BROS....
More
03 Jun 2009 14:37 #31278 by Bullwinkle
Michael Barnes wrote:

Hey, welcome aboard Pnumekin...sounds like you're getting the young'uns off to a good start.

Like you're one to talk. I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure you voted for "I'm A Sweet Fairy Princess" in the Trashdome.

If we're including videogames, then hell...add Fallout 3 to my list. Lots and lots of Fallout 3. And I played Rock Band for the first time a week ago. Christ, I hate those drums.
More
03 Jun 2009 14:37 #31279 by Deleted User 1

I just ran a game day for boys 10-13. We played Nexus Ops, and most of them seemed to really enjoy it. We're going to make this kind of a regular gig, but I'm considering changing to cooperative games in the future. I just traded on BGG for Last Night on Earth and hoping that's a winner with the group.

Heroscape should work well with that group! I just played a game of that this past weekend. It is still on my table, breaking that game is kind of like putting up a Christmas tree. Fun to put together but you dread packing it up again
More
03 Jun 2009 14:40 #31280 by Michael Barnes
Like you're one to talk. I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure you voted for "I'm A Sweet Fairy Princess" in the Trashdome.

If it were up against LNoE, I just might. I like fairies and princesses better than zombies at this point.
More
03 Jun 2009 14:53 #31282 by ChristopherMD
Bullwinkle wrote:

If we're including videogames

We're not.
More
03 Jun 2009 15:13 #31283 by Amontillado
Michael Barnes wrote:

If it were up against LNoE, I just might. I like fairies and princesses better than zombies at this point.

WTF, Herr Barnes? I went for LNoE based in part on your recommendation on BGG. Why the change of heart? Been sniffing the pixie dust?
More
03 Jun 2009 15:16 #31284 by Shellhead
Pnumekin wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

WTF, Herr Barnes? I went for LNoE based in part on your recommendation on BGG. Why the change of heart? Been sniffing the pixie dust?

Barnes is just burned out on zombies, because there have been too many zombies movies and too many zombies games in recent years. That Zombies!!! boardgame probably deserves royalties from at least a half dozen other zombie games, just for providing such a great zombie game designer kit.
More
03 Jun 2009 15:22 #31285 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I'm just kind of burned out on zombies...growing up in the 80s, and seeing disreputable and morally questionable films like GATES OF HELL or ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE is a far cry from playing LEFT 4 DEAD or watching any of the slew of zombie kitsch movies that are out now. There was a seediness to zombies that isn't there any more because they've gone mainstream. Now they're "cute". Zombies are the Metallica of monsters- you thought they'd never sell out.

I mean, come on...PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES? That's a shark jumping if ever I've seen one.

I do think LNoE is a great game for kids, and I definitely recommend it for them. I stand by that recommendation, but after 15 games or so I think I'm pretty much at the end of the line with it. I would definitely play it again with kids, that'd probably be a lot of fun in spite of the game itself.
More
03 Jun 2009 15:26 #31286 by Amontillado
Michael Barnes wrote:

Yeah, I'm just kind of burned out on zombies...growing up in the 80s, and seeing disreputable and morally questionable films like GATES OF HELL or ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE is a far cry from playing LEFT 4 DEAD or watching any of the slew of zombie kitsch movies that are out now. There was a seediness to zombies that isn't there any more because they've gone mainstream. Now they're "cute". Zombies are the Metallica of monsters- you thought they'd never sell out.

I mean, come on...PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES? That's a shark jumping if ever I've seen one.

I do think LNoE is a great game for kids, and I definitely recommend it for them. I stand by that recommendation, but after 15 games or so I think I'm pretty much at the end of the line with it. I would definitely play it again with kids, that'd probably be a lot of fun in spite of the game itself.

Ok, I'm pickin' up what you're laying down. I get it.

That said, I feel compelled to watch Dead Snow when it comes to Netflix. To me, zombie Nazis are an idea long overdue to film.
More
03 Jun 2009 15:44 #31287 by blarknob
Twilight Imperium 3: Played a 14 point three night game recently, booyaa.

Axis and Allies Anniversary Edition: this thing is great

Starcraft the board game: dark aldachrons with the expansion is insane.

Cosmic Encounter: always fun

We plan on starting a game of Diplomacy tonight.
More
03 Jun 2009 15:51 #31288 by Amontillado
Yeah, I forgot. I've been running a Cosmic Encounter night lately too. Life doesn't allow for it right now, but I'd love to play some of the longer titles now and again that I have never played. Diplomacy is one. Advanced Civ is another. TI:3 is another. I just don't know when I'll ever be able to play these.
More
03 Jun 2009 15:53 #31289 by Shellhead
For a fast version of Diplomacy, get your six of your friends together and take turns kicking each other in the groin for several minutes. The animosity after that will be a reasonable facsimile of having just played Diplomacy.
More
03 Jun 2009 15:53 #31290 by Jason Lutes
I've been playing a lot of Company of Heroes MP online on the PC. I've logged over 700 ranked matches at this point. For some reason I haven't gone back to Fallout 3 in a long while, and my backlog of other PC games remain unplayed. The most enjoyment I get from gaming these days is in tinkering with my prototype and playing boardgames with my students once a week or so.

This past Sunday we played Galaxy Trucker, Pandemic, and Prophecy. Galaxy Trucker is a big hit with them, although it's interesting to see how much of a variable skill ship building can be. Pandemic was kind of a wash; no one felt particularly motivated, and it just felt sort of blah. Prophecy was pretty fun, but damn does that game take way too long to play. We had to wrap it up after 4 hours, without a single astral gate being challenged.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.902 seconds