October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2688 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Board Game have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
17 Jul 2009 12:26 #35364 by Dr. Mabuse
Southernman wrote:

Bulwyf wrote:

My kids really like Dinosaurs of the Lost World. This weekend my wife got her third win in a row due to the vicious play of my 7 year old. He sent so many critters after my team I spent half the game in basecamp. Add to that an event card he played that allowed him to steal my one escape item and 5 VPs. Jerk...

-Will

That sounds like an 'in bed by 6pm' follow-up action required by Dad just to remind him of the natural order.

ha ha
The topic has been locked.
More
17 Jul 2009 13:15 #35365 by ubarose
Played Arkham Horror AGAIN last night, but with a different group. It was hard to adjust to their house rules after playing with MegaFauna Dan's house rules twice this week.

One thing that got me really lost is that I always insist we play the turn phases by the book - All Move, All Arkham Encounters, All Outer World Encounters. I'm also a real stickler about the rule that movement from a gate in Arkham to an outer world occurs during the Arkham Encounter phase. Although it is not common, I've seen it happen often enough that not playing strictly by these order rules can really foul you up, and you have to start unwinding a person's actions. The group I was playing with moved through gates during movement phase, and took all encounters in turn order, whether Arkham or Outer World, so I kept getting confused about when it was my turn and what phase we were in, and whether the round was finished or not.
More
17 Jul 2009 13:35 #35368 by Shellhead
Arkham Horror is a big, complex game that is also great. So I oppose almost all house rules to it, although I do like some of the Launius suggestions:

new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/A...use%20Rules%20RL.pdf

Specifically, we always play with rules 2, 3, and 7.

It's disappointing that the excellent Strange Eons content generator for AH has yielded few additions to the game that I find interesting.

A friend of mine played in a big game at a local convention that experimented with a really bad idea for a variant: three GOO at the same time. Each time the Doom Factor went up, players decided which GOO received the Doom Token. I have no idea how they handled the possible conflicts between the various cultists of these GOO, or Final Battle, or whether sealing six gates was enough to win the whole game. Not surprisingly, they ended the game early, after five hours of play.
More
17 Jul 2009 14:34 #35373 by Bulwyf
Ska_baron wrote:

I want this game so bad. You should write something up about your sessions!

You know DotLW creates some pretty cool narritives. Next game we play I'll take some notes and post a session report. Then you can read for yourselves what a turd-burglar my kid is at the gaming table.

-Will
More
17 Jul 2009 17:11 #35398 by Pat II
With any luck I'll get my first play of Arkham Horror in tonight.
More
17 Jul 2009 17:15 #35402 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re:What have you been playing?
We had a Micromutants: Evolution session today. I love this game - always welcomed in the pub even by not so serious gamers. But the other ppl were giving us a strange look as we were constantly swearing, cheering and shooting bugs into the drinks...
More
18 Jul 2009 09:55 #35441 by Notahandle
Dominion: Intrigue yesterday. The player on my left started out with the Torturer, I'd bought some defensive Secret Chambers (the other two players only bought a couple each), then others started buying the Torturer. The player on my left notices that there're only three Secret Chambers left and comments that he ought to get some himself. So I bought two. He then has one Buy and five Treasure to spend. He was forced to pay five for a two cost card. Gotta love the irony... (And, yes, he didn't hear the end of it, revenge is sweet.)

Don't knock it - that's about as vicious as Dominion gets!
More
19 Jul 2009 20:04 #35515 by Mr Skeletor
Went to a games day yesterday and played:

Stone Age: It was OK. Pretty much a stock standard resource game. Not offensive, but not really thrilling either. It's just kind of "there"

Turn and Taxis: Fuck this game. This really is a big steaming lump of shit. A stupid game wrapped up in some of the most convoluted scoring mechanisims ever devised. AIDS in a box.

El Grande: Brilliant. The game ended up being the closest one I have ever seen, and was nasty as shit. How the hell this and "Turd & Taxis" are both lumped under the same category of game I'll never know.
More
19 Jul 2009 21:41 #35518 by J.T.
Replied by J.T. on topic Re:What have you been playing?
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Stone Age: It was OK. Pretty much a stock standard resource game. Not offensive, but not really thrilling either. It's just kind of "there"

I hate Stone Age. I think it's the least thrilling combination of typical Euro elements possible, with the dice rolling serving as a decoy to lure you into an hour and a half of boredom. As it's a popular game right now, I try to sidestep playing it whenever possible.

I played Kingsburg this weekend and thought it was a pretty decent game. The dice rolling is actually fun in that one. It seems to want an expansion to give it a little more meat, yet some of the elements seemed thrown in for no good reason (I'm thinking of the monster attacks and the seasonal bonuses). Still, there's something there.

Played Neuroshima Hex for the first time as well and had a blast. Fantastic game, reminds me of Nexus Ops even though they're not at all alike.
More
19 Jul 2009 22:54 #35520 by metalface13
Yeah, Kingsburg is OK. I wouldn't refuse to play it but I'm not clamoring for it either.
More
20 Jul 2009 00:31 - 20 Jul 2009 00:32 #35527 by Space Ghost
I'm convinced that Thurn and Taxis is easily the worst game I have ever played.
Last edit: 20 Jul 2009 00:32 by Space Ghost.
More
20 Jul 2009 12:35 #35618 by JoelCFC25
My Central Powers formally surrendered to Dogmatix's Marshal Foch yesterday in our PBEM game of Paths of Glory, just before the end of Turn 15. We kept up a pretty brisk pace I think--started right at the end of May and finished in under 2 months.

It was a fun game, something I'm considering writing up as a blog post if I can find the time. Great, great opponent--if anyone is looking for an online game, I'd give Justin a ringing endorsement. He's like the complete opposite of Excited Man!
More
20 Jul 2009 12:42 #35619 by Michael Barnes
THURN & TAXIS really is kind of the physical embodiment of EVERYTHING that's bad about Eurogames. I mean, literally everything. You could go down and tick all the boxes, from the oh-so-pretentious German title, to the lack of theme, to the shitty attempt at theme, to crappy brown-on-darker-brown color pallette, to the complete lack of interaction or competition, to the copycat mechanics...every single thing I hate about Eurogames is there.
More
20 Jul 2009 12:50 #35622 by Schweig!
I rather like it.
More
20 Jul 2009 13:04 #35624 by Malloc
I have been playing a lot of Formula D. My non-gaming brother was in town and he picked up on it quick. I am always a sucker for a race game and the new version has some fancy bits.

It gets the Malloc stamp of approval.

-M
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 2.127 seconds