October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Board Game have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
10 Jun 2009 12:16 #31792 by southernman
My old euro group finally had a Friday night session last week where they will play 'better' euros or even AT-ish products (I've had BSG out twice now) because they know I'm coming along.

Anyway last week someone had Martin Wallace's new Age of Steam version, Steam - Rails to Riches, and since we all love AoS that hit the table. After all of the hyped changes from last year (and I played one of the prototypes that one of the guys got/made from MW) the end result had only a couple of changes plus up market artwork. I managed to get myself built in and surrounded two thirds of the way through so ended up being hammered by the other three. Of the two main changes it was the income and scoring trach change that was the hardest to work out, and I'm not sure I like the new way.

Finished off with my Formula Motor Racing by Knizia. This is a fun little racing game where up to 6 players have 2 cars each and your jockey for position from 1 to 12 by playing cards on each other, and use a 12-side dice for resolving 'take that' cards at someone. The best card is the crash one which has you rolling the dice and the car in that position plus one either in front or behind it are knocked out ... and you would not believe how often I roll one of my car's positions - Friday night was no different. And when you don't have 6 players the spare cars still race, and they often win overall as they get points by default as everyone is screwing each other - no change again that night with the two non-player teams (Alonso and Hamilton) taking 1st and 2nd overall !
Great little game for filling in 40mins.
The topic has been locked.
More
11 Jun 2009 00:09 #31868 by Hex Sinister
Red November Courtesy of Lord Humungous/F:AT Arms Deal. Pretty amusing little co-op, good gamblers kind of game too. I like how you can play it safe or risky depending on your mood. It seems like if you want to win then you need to make risky fix-it rolls a little more often. We were crushed in the depths.

Talisman (GW edition) I broke this out for my buddy who wanted the memory lane trip. Typical Talisman, runs way too fucking long until I don't give a crap who wins anymore. It's 4am and the birds are chirping and I just want to go to bed.

Talisman seriously loses my interest after the second hour. A light game like this shouldn't take so long to get finished. There just isn't enough meat to sustain it after a certain point. I really don't understand the huge appeal of this thing. I was wishing we had played Runebound instead. But whatever. The guys and my girlfriend had fun so it was cool.

Still, Talisman can lick my pung.
More
11 Jun 2009 08:46 #31885 by crumbb
Been playing Starcraft: The Board Game. Next time will be the first play with the expansion. Also, Sorry Sliders, Race For the Galaxy, and Wings of War.
More
11 Jun 2009 12:58 #31909 by ozjesting
Big tour would be so great if only I could have made the producers hire more gaming comics! I bought Cosmic Encounter, but the cast have yet to try it. I have though run them thru some great back stage sessions of Wings of War; Famous Aces (simple rules)...the choice to buy them each their own miniature was the key to getting them playing!

Have also had a few hands of Gloom. This is a cute bit of fun.

But I REALLY want to break out Cosmic!
More
12 Jun 2009 17:05 - 12 Jun 2009 17:34 #32071 by Shellhead
I have still been playing too much Vampire: the Eternal Struggle lately. Mostly playtesting the expansion set we've been working on, but tomorrow I will be playing in the Midwest Qualifier for the annual tournament at GenCon. My decks are never tournament caliber, but after nearly 15 years of play, I am otherwise a competitive player. The number of local players has tripled in just the last year. Tomorrow will be crazy, as there will also be players coming from northern Minnesota, the Dakotas, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

Next week, two old friends are visiting from Indy for several days, so we are going to get some boardgaming in. We've talked about maybe playing Android, Arkham Horror, Battlestar Galactica, Cosmic Encounter, Pirate King, Star Wars Epic Duels, and Wiz-War.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2009 17:34 by Shellhead.
More
12 Jun 2009 17:20 #32072 by ubarose
Thanks to Schweig!'s recommendation, we have been playing Aye, Dark Overlord with the Spawn. She doesn't do well at being a minion, being an overlord suits her better. She takes after her mom.
More
23 Jun 2009 09:26 #32766 by ChristopherMD
EVE: The Second Genesis CCG - Played this doing a starter draft with best 2-out-of-3 games. I keep meaning to write a review for this game since there's not much out there on it. So I'll save what I was going to write here for that.
More
23 Jun 2009 09:36 #32767 by Shellhead
With a couple of old friends in town, I had the chance to do more gaming than usual. We played Pirate King, Android (twice), Dungeon Twister (four player), Fury of Dracula, and Citadels. Now that I've played Android five times, I feel like I might be capable of reviewing it properly.
More
23 Jun 2009 09:46 #32772 by Black Barney
My wife and I played Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization two nights ago. We played the full game. It's my 12th or 13th game at least. I think we've basically had it with that game now. It's just too damn long. First two ages are really fun and then it just gets really long and dull I think.
More
24 Jun 2009 10:21 #32893 by Aarontu
My wife and I played Talisman last night with the new Dungeon. The game was over in about 30 minutes. She was the Amazon, and I got to the crown first and won with the Gladiator. I really like the new stuff in this expansion.
More
24 Jun 2009 11:07 #32896 by Sagrilarus
I got in a game of Buffy last night which was particularly rewarding because my group usually vetoes such trash. But there were eight of us, so half played Stone Age and half Buffy. I was able to cull the herd and get things to go my way with a selected group.

Everything Last Night on Earth should have been.

Sag.
More
24 Jun 2009 12:24 #32924 by Amontillado
Michael Barnes wrote:

Hey, welcome aboard Pnumekin...sounds like you're getting the young'uns off to a good start.

I'm not really playing jack shit right now. One of my game groups is a shambles and the other doesn't meet regularly. Lately, I've been playing oddball fare with Branham...FORTUNE 500, a surprisingly good old timey business game where you can run real-life corporations such as Guiness into ruin...tried SMALL WORLD, it was OK...played GAME Z last week, full review coming at Cracked LCD...

LOTS of ROCK BAND...DISGAEA on DS (does the game ever really end...PUNCH-OUT...LUNAR KNIGHTS...NEW SUPER MARIO BROS....

Sorry to hear your groups are in the can, Barnes. But I meant to ask you back when you posted this, if you could be playing anything "board game" right now, what would it be? You have a passion for anything?
More
24 Jun 2009 12:33 #32925 by Michael Barnes
Right now, I'd really love to playing either STARCRAFT with the BROOD WAR expansion or ARKHAM with INNSMOUTH. Haven't gotten to do either yet, and I'm really eager to try them out. Unfortunately, among people I play games with right now, playing a new game one time is more common than playing an old favorite multiple times.

I've really been wanting to play ESCAPE FROM COLDITZ too.
More
24 Jun 2009 17:59 #32984 by NeonPeon
Last weekend I played the amazing Battleground: Crossbows & Catapults! Any game about firing projectiles, killing orcs AND you risk losing an eye just by playing is badass.
More
25 Jun 2009 04:32 #32998 by Hex Sinister
Alhambra Courtesy F:AT Arms Deal. Trying to broaden my horizons a little bit as this is my second euro. Hey, these euros aren't too shabby. The girlfriend and I have been enjoying this one quite a bit. Gameplay is not too long or too brief and it picks up quick. I'm not certain that I would break this out at guy's night though.

Descent Scenario Well of Darkness.
Warning: Spoiler!
If that doesn't happen (it didn't) the heroes are meat pie.

Runebound: Island of Dread Still in progress. I chickened out and didn't go for the win and now it's all dragged out. The boss battles chewed my ass the last time round though... I was starting to get spacy and AP'd so we quit and hit the Elder Scrolls: OBLIVION a bit before bed. Because casting paralysis on a mud crab is just too funny.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.275 seconds