October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
19 Aug 2009 10:49 - 18 Jul 2011 04:22 #38437 by Black Barney
I thought a general thread to post what video games you've been playing lately could be cool. I figure given the popularity of the "What board game did you play last night" thread, there might be some interest in generating discussion on video games too. Just if you played something lately and feel like sharing with the rest of us then go for it.

I played Fallout 3 last night on my 360. I'm on my 2nd playthrough trying to get to level 30 as an evil character. I decided to do all the DLC stuff first so I could have a kick-butt weapon like the Alien Pulverizer and good armor like the Chinese Stealth Armor (although the Winterized Armor was tempting). Right now I just screwed up the Blood Lines quest by killing Vince (oops), so now I'm working on Moria' survival guide before I blow up megaton and I gotta do the THOSE quest to get rid of those ants.

In other news, I tried the Batman Arkham Asylum demo and it was AMAZING. Walmart is having the game come out for $38.83 and you get exclusive armor for the challenge mode so I'm hoping to pick that up. It's been SO long since we had a decent game come out for 360. Gears of War 2 has been the last decent game to come out. I can't wait to PASS on Madden 2010.

Oh and Shadow Complex comes out today which I hear is great.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2011 04:22 by ubarose.
The topic has been locked.
More
19 Aug 2009 10:52 #38439 by VonTush
I've been working through Chrono Trigger on the DS. Never played it back in the day on the SNES and I'm finding it very enjoyable.
More
19 Aug 2009 10:56 #38441 by Black Barney
Yeah, I hear great things about chrono trigger. Never played it either. My wife got me a PSP last year (although I was secretly hoping for a DS, in which case Chrono Trigger would have been top of my list, right after Chinatown Wars (have you tried that?).

I'm told that Chrono Trigger is the best, if not one of the best, RPGs for consoles of all time. Is it that good?
More
19 Aug 2009 11:02 #38442 by VonTush
I usually find RPGs a bit too linear and causes me to lose interest in them after some time. CT really is well written and keeps the story unique. It seems like every time I sit down to play the games throws something new at me that I haven't seen before.

Chinatown Wars is a blast. That is actually what I was playing before I got distracted by Chrono. It calls back to the original Grand Theft Auto days pre GTA-III where it was the top down affiar. The style and look on the DS is perfect. Again I'd say that is another game that is well assembled to keep things fresh and new as you play.
More
19 Aug 2009 11:15 - 19 Aug 2009 11:23 #38449 by Schweig!
I played Nethack until about a month ago and nothing since then.

Black Barney wrote:

I'm told that Chrono Trigger is the best, if not one of the best, RPGs for consoles of all time. Is it that good?

Earthbound is better.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2009 11:23 by Schweig!.
More
19 Aug 2009 11:19 #38452 by kookoobah
On the DS, I regularly rotate between Picross DS and Geometry Wars, with Mario and Luigi RPG and The World Ends with You as back ups.

On the Wii, I'm still trying to get through Okami. Yhis is one seriously long game. I thought it ended at one point, and now it's 20 hours later and it's still going. Great mileage.

Rockband of course is awesome.

Waiting for all the coolshit games on the Wii announced at E3. SMG2, the new Metroid, the new Zelda, blah blah blah.
More
19 Aug 2009 11:20 #38453 by Michael Barnes
CHRONO TRIGGER really is one of the greatest games of all time. I never played it until the DS version, and it just blew my mind. It's the _perfect_ JRPG. All of the good, none of the bad.

I just finished playing through RESIDENT EVIL 1-4. I haven't played the first three in 10 years, it was interesting to see that the first one really held up incredibly well (thanks in no small part to the remake in 2002) but 2 and 3 were very, very dated and not in a good way. I think Playstation era games are not standing the test of time very well...I think history is going to show that it was a pretty awkward time for video games in terms of graphics and gameplay. Of course, it was a transitional period though, and it led to the HD era.

RESIDENT EVIL 4...I think it probably is the best console game ever published. I had played it a couple of years ago but didn't finish it. This time, I played through the whole thing and all the extras. There are so many scenes that are just jawdroppingly awesome, so incredibly well framed and executed. It's not as atmospheric as the first one, but there's a level of tension that's unmatched in any other game. Hiding up in the tower in the Gandado village and hearing that chainsaw start up...yike!

Just finished ETERNAL DARKNESS too, to round out the horror games thing I had going on.

Now I'm playing through CASTLEVANIA: PORTRAIT OF RUIN (probably the best of the DS ones, I think) and WIND WAKER. Never played WIND WAKER. Damn shame, because I think it's better than OCARINA OF TIME so far.

Next week- METROID PRIME TRILOGY.
More
19 Aug 2009 11:22 - 19 Aug 2009 11:24 #38455 by Black Barney
That's probably it's own thread but why not.

Best RPG video games of all time:

Chrono Trigger
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (probably my pick)
Final Fantasy III

I don't know enough about Earthbound other than it being a SNES game :(

Barnes, yeah Wind Waker is my favourite Zelda game and one of the best games I've ever played. i LOVED it (except for the early stealth level).

RE4 was my all time favourite video game for YEARS until GTAIV came out. But yeah RE4 is perfect in every way. I loved the first one too. Did you know Ken B still has RE4 shrink-wrapped at home? What a dummy!
Last edit: 19 Aug 2009 11:24 by Black Barney.
More
19 Aug 2009 11:32 #38459 by Schweig!
Michael Barnes wrote:

Hiding up in the tower in the Gandado village and hearing that chainsaw start up...yike!

Never go up that tower. It's a dead end. (Literally.)
More
19 Aug 2009 11:36 #38462 by Black Barney
what? The tower is one of the 'broken' ways to survive the initial village. To survive that horde, you either have to kill a certain amount of ganados OR survive a certain number of minutes. In the tower, they never come up but they throw molotov cocktails at you. One of the corners of the tower you can't get hit so you can just wait it out.

It's way more fun going into the house, pushing cabinets in front of the doors and windows, run upstairs, grab the shotgun and wait as you hear them chainsaw into the downstairs door. omg, it's SO scary. Then you ambush them as they come upstairs as best you can. You have to focus 95% of your attention on the chainsaw guy to keep him at bay

i love it
More
19 Aug 2009 11:57 - 19 Aug 2009 11:58 #38465 by Aarontu
Don't have a lot of time for video games, but I've been playing oldschool DESCENT I and II periodically in the last couple months.

My top RPGs of all time are (roughly in order):
Chrono trigger, ff 6, ff7, Fallout I and II, Star Control II, betrayal at krondor, FF Tactics, System shock 2, Earthbound, and Diablo II (I know some of these are only borderline RPG, like SS2)

Knights of the Old Republic was just another D20 RPG placed in a cool setting. It did manage to keep my interest until the end of the game, but my final opinion on it is that it was merely OK, but the Star Wars license was applied in a cool and interesting way.

Earthbound is really great; it's not only an awesome game on its own, but it's a hilarious satire of JRPGs in general.
Last edit: 19 Aug 2009 11:58 by Aarontu.
More
19 Aug 2009 12:01 #38466 by Schweig!
Black Barney wrote:

One of the corners of the tower you can't get hit so you can just wait it out.

Pfft ... I didn't know that. How boring.

I used to go into the house with the shotgun, block all doors and windows, go upstairs, grab the shotgun, enter the roof through the window and then fire at the village zombies from above standing near the ladder leading up from the back of the house. I kicked over the ladder when they tried to climb it.
More
19 Aug 2009 12:09 #38468 by Rliyen
As of recently: X-Men Legends and Devil May Cry on the PS2. This is the first go round for me, since I only recently picked up my PS2 in 2007. I'm usually a console generation behind, and I like it that way.
More
19 Aug 2009 12:27 #38473 by Michael Barnes
There's just SO MANY great scenes in RE4, it's ridiculous. It's almost unbelievable that they're in the same game. When I went back and played it again, there were parts that I thought were in other games, somehow.

Jeez, there's just so much to it...the fight with Jack Krauser...all of the stuff with the midget castellan, Salazar...the one-man siege of the castle crawling with cultists...I even collected all of the bottle caps, and I _never_ do that kind of stuff usually. I love RE1 and think it's one of the best games ever, but RE4 just really tops everything in it other than the actual survival horror elements.

RE4 is like a 30 hour game all told...and it's one of the only 30 hour games in recent memory where I wasn't sick of it halfway through it. It's so varied and epic it's impossible to get bored with it. And unlike a lot of adventure games, it's got a real tactical element...how you approach certain situations with different weapons and with considerations like ammo conservation adds a lot of strategy to the gameplay.

STAR CONTROL II. Now that's a game. God knows how much time I put into that one.
More
19 Aug 2009 12:41 - 19 Aug 2009 12:44 #38476 by VonTush
kookoobah wrote:

On the DS, I regularly rotate between Picross DS...

That one is in my rotation as well. If you like light puzzle type games, you should take a look at Prism: Light the Way. I found a copy at a GameStop here for about $7 used. You have these little "blob" type things that shoot rays of light. You need to manipulate the light via mirrors and t-junctions to shine on other blobs that are around you. It is a fun little game...The first few groups of puzzles are pretty easy so you ease into it, but they get challenging after a while.

EDIT: Also thanks for the unintentional hints for RE4. I've started a few times but usually at the village, I'd end up dead and my interest fades in the game and I'll pick up something else. I actually started a few days back, but again, got decapitated by a chainsaw guy and turned the Wii off. Y'all got me thinking about the game a bit differently than how I was approaching it (I'm a balls to the wall / come in guns blazing type of guy and that was not sucessful in the past).
Last edit: 19 Aug 2009 12:44 by VonTush.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.097 seconds