October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
15 Jun 2015 15:19 - 15 Jun 2015 15:19 #204347 by jeb

Motorik wrote: Just watched some of the Mario Maker stuff from last night. I think I'm about to buy a Wii U.

Context!

Fucking amazing. I literally laughed a LOL out loud. (Advance to 3:34:00 on this long-ass vid).
Last edit: 15 Jun 2015 15:19 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Motorik
The topic has been locked.
More
15 Jun 2015 16:11 - 15 Jun 2015 16:14 #204357 by Black Barney
JEB! you're going to get me into trouble at work, I can't stop laughing. Those announcers are GREAT

Motorik wrote: I was just reading about Quantum Break and Scalebound, two Xbox exclusives that sound really cool. Plus: Halo.

This is a niche complaint but, for me, the main drawback to the Xbox is that it's much, much less likely to get kinds of bizarro Japanese titles/Atlus stuff/etc. for which I harbor a weakness. Another concern is: which console would function better as an all-around living room media center (which is, like, the only function of my 360 these days).

Motorik, the Xbox One was designed to be the all-around living room media centre and it works really good in that respect. I watch my TV through and such, really easy.

It's very tough to talk anyone into a XboxOne based on the current library. The 3 best games are GTA V (it's supposed to be genius on the new consoles, way busier, and first-person mode which would be interesting), Rayman Legends (was free a few months ago) and The Witcher 3. Not big on the exclusives. An indie game just got released called The Swapper which is supposed to be amazing as well.

I can't say with any confidence that Halo 5 is going to be good. I gave up on those after Halo 3, enough was enough.

Anyway, hope you get an Xbox One so we can talk about it :)
Last edit: 15 Jun 2015 16:14 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorik
More
15 Jun 2015 16:54 #204361 by Motorik
Good tips, Black Barney! Just caught up on all the Xbox stuff that was announced today. The Rare Collection, the new game from Keiji Inafune and Cuphead are all big points in Microsoft's favor. Cuphead especially looks marvelous, I love the style of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney
More
15 Jun 2015 17:01 #204362 by jeb
Keep your eyes peeled on those indies, Barney. While the devs settle in on the new tech, ported indies are going to be some of the best gaming on these consoles. I play the shit out of DIABLO 3 on my PS4, but my #2 most played is ROGUE LEGACY. After that it's HELLDIVERS (indie) and RESOGUN (indie).

What's the Capy exclusive XB1 has? BENEATH or BELOW or something? That will fucking rock. Those guys know what's up. Isn't SUPER TIME FORCE on there?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney
More
15 Jun 2015 19:27 - 15 Jun 2015 19:28 #204367 by Michael Barnes
E3...zzzzzzzz...just totally uninterested this year, apart from anything to do with Nintendo. OK, pretty excited about a new Mirror's Edge and a Platinum-developed G1 Transformers game, but other than that...more of the same bombastic nonsense.

Love that Nintendo came out before everyone else with such a fun event (World Championships!) AND a pile of great stuff, some of which is already available. I got all of the new Smash DLC yesterday, and love it all. Ryu is an inspired addition to the roster, and he's got some cool new things going on. You can input commands from SFII/SFIV and enhance his standard moves. He also apparently has two different smashes, a series first. Roy and Lucas are longtime veterans, nice to have them back in. The new stages are good. I didn't get the Mii Fighter costumes because nobody ever picks a Mii Fighter here. It was all $20, but this is a game that we play regularly and have for over six months now.

Super Mario Maker looks incredible, I can't imagine anyone that owns a Wii U not picking that up. The potential of that thing is insane. Blast Ball looks really fun too.

Motorik- don't be dazzled by exclusives. It's a dead end. Both of the big corporate consoles are virtually the same and the fact of the matter is that if you pick one, you'll invariably miss something on the other. But guess what. You'll be alright, I promise.

That said, if you want weirder, more Japanese stuff...PS4 all the way. It's what I went with, and I pretty much abandoned Microsoft altogether after years with the 360. Toward the end of the 360's life cycle, I realized that I was more of a PS game player. With that said, I would say that about 75% of the time I've had mine on it has been to play Diablo 3 or Bloodborne (which is an exclusive, and a better exclusive than anything Microsoft has released for the Xbox One to date).

It does kind of sting to miss Halo, but there again...I'll be alright. Ain't like there aren't plenty of other games to play, and really I'd rather play Splatoon anyway right now. The Rare thing would be a must-buy if it were on another console l own, but on XB1...I guess I'll just miss it. Not like I haven't played all of that stuff before.

When it comes to the big corporate consoles, here's the thing. They are great if you want to play whatever the hot new AAA game this month is (that you will never touch again after a few weeks of playing it) or if you subscribe to one of the services where they "give" you free games like PS+. Wii U is 100% the way to go if you want to play games that you will be playing and enjoying for years to come. If you love traditional video games, Wii U. If you love classic franchises and retro titles, Wii U. If you want to play games that innovate and offer actual gameplay rather than just spectacle and moar violence, Wii U.

If there was just some way to put Diablo 3, Bloodborne and Metal Gear Solid V on the Wii U, I'd probably ditch the PS4.

Actually, for the price of a PS4 I think you could probably get a Wii U and a 3DS, which would be a total jackpot compared to the other choices.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2015 19:28 by Michael Barnes.
More
15 Jun 2015 19:33 #204368 by Michael Barnes
Also...the biggest regret of my entire video gaming life was trading in the first Wii U I had for a PS4 preorder. I remember coming home and looking at my entertainment center and it felt like there was a huge, gaping hole there since there was no Nintendo console. I actually traded a complete set of Arkham Horror and all the expansions for another one, and I remember the day I got it in the mail all of that remorse was lifted from my shoulders. Now I play something on it quite literally daily, and my kids get lots of use out of it too. The PS4 literally gathers dust except when I'm playing Diablo 3 or Bloodborne. My PS3 is barely used at all, but there are still some essentials that I want to keep it around for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD
More
16 Jun 2015 06:02 #204390 by Chaz
Since I'm going WiiU/PC this generation (and probably forever), what I really want is for someone to cut together a video of the press conferences that just shows stuff that's coming to PC. Figuring out what's actually exclusive and what's " 'exclusive' (but it's coming to PC but we don't mention PCs round these parts)" is a pain, and I don't feel like sitting through a trailer of Destiny: Grind Moar or Uncharted 4: Wisecrackin' Psychopath to find things I might actually care about.

I also feel like we've reached a new level of sad that now Kickstarter campaigns are getting stage time at the big platform press conferences. Like, really Sony? You believe in this project just enough to run a commercial for it so people can go fund development?

I'm going to go back to playing all the games that are already out.
More
16 Jun 2015 12:09 #204410 by jeb
Barnes, are we not PSN buddies? I never see you in there. If you have Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil it should be making me send you shit on the daily. I have sent at least 15 or 20 Legendaries to QPCloudy in the last month or so and I don't think he even has that plugged in.

I beat Khidr in ROGUE LEGACY yesterday. Feeling so psyched.
More
16 Jun 2015 13:39 #204419 by Motorik

Motorik wrote: Just watched some of the Mario Maker stuff from last night. I think I'm about to buy a Wii U.

Just read a recap of today's Nintendo presentation, so I'm changing this to "buying a Wii U in 12-18 months, when the console is dead and retailers are slashing the price to $150."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax
More
16 Jun 2015 13:52 #204423 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, they really blew it. Star Fox looks awesome and I'm excited for Mario Tennis, Hyrule Warriors 3DS and the Amiibo/Skylanders crossover (!!!) but what a disappointment the new Metroid and Zelda games are. Great single player adventures? Nope. Fucking co-op. Both of them. The Animal Crossing thing looks cute but it also looks exactly like Mario Party.

It's not like the Wii U suddenly sucks or that all of the above devalues Super Mario maker, but this is clearly a period of transition- gearing up for an NX reveal next June with a November release.

Anyway, the big news of the day is probably the most surprised iver ever been by E3. There's a new Nier game in development at Platinum. This could be fucking amazing. Nier was one of the weirdest, ugliest, most artful, sloppiest and possibly transcendental games of the last generation. Platinum is a great fit for the IP, which I assumed was pretty much erased from memory.
More
16 Jun 2015 14:26 #204429 by Motorik
No console Zelda, no console Metroid, not even anything left-field and crazy like a secret game from Retro Studios. Meanwhile, Star Fox is probably my least favorite of the mainline Nintendo franchises.

I have great memories of playing Mario Tennis with my friends on the N64, but, in a way that speaks to the inherent problem: all of the Wii U games I would want to buy (3d Mario + the Toad spinoff, DKC, Mario Kart, Mario Maker, maybe the Tennis game) trade exclusively on my nostalgia for what Nintendo was, before they became a listless Amiibo cartel. I'm all for companies making money, but Amiibos are about the most cynical enterprise I've ever seen a video game company take part in. Walling off game content so that--in order to access it--you have to wait in line for stupid plastic statues that have a deliberately limited supply or pay insane prices on the grey market. Then incorporating them into literally every new first party game they announce, with more walled-off content inaccessible unless you stood in the rain outside a GameStop for three hours. I dunno, I think it's particularly insidious and goes far beyond season pass/DLC bullshit.

Nier was fantastic, and that's a left-fleld surprise if there ever was one. Platinum seems to have their hands in everything these days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax
More
16 Jun 2015 14:53 #204434 by jeb
Nintendo is a toy company that makes toys. They are committed to this. I am with you--I don't own and don't want to get any Amiibos, (though they look great.) Obviously, make them earn your dollars, but it would seem you and I are in the minority on the Amiibo front--those things are a fucking gold mine.

They can trade on nostalgia all they want--that they didn't need to explain anything about those Mario Maker levels at the WC is a testament to the impressions they have laid on the industry. You "know" how Bullet Bills work, how POW-blocks interact with coins, which creatures have shells you can bonk, &c. Wall jumping, screw jumping, "sliding" under blocks as big Mario--this is all in the platforming gestalt in a deep way and immediately accessible.

That's what was most amazing about this to me--and it's not possible without access to nostalgia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorik
More
16 Jun 2015 15:16 #204436 by Motorik
Yeah, Mario Maker is amazing enough that it transcends the abhorrent state of Nintendo in 2015. If it leaked out that Mario Maker was a Monsanto/Time Warner Cable/ISIS co-production, I'd still be all over it.

Just gonna wait til 2016 when stacks of Wii Us are being sold at extreme markdown at Ollie's Bargain Outlet and you can snag Mario Maker for $10 used.
More
16 Jun 2015 16:04 #204441 by Chaz
Yeah, I'd much rather Nintendo do like Sony and pimp kickstarter campaigns during their presentation. Much better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White
More
16 Jun 2015 16:20 #204443 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, I meant to comment on that. If there is any indication that Kickstarter has jumped the shark, that is it. That has got to be one of the lowest moments in E3 history...somebody standing up during a multimillion dollar presentation at a multibillion dollar event, effectively with their hat in their hand asking for money. Unreal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Mr. White
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.017 seconds