October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? ARCHIVE

More
21 Aug 2009 15:04 #38783 by Ken B.
Mad Dog wrote:

Saw the Watchmen DC for the third time last night. One thing Zack Snyder does well is bringing comic panels to life and that's pretty much why I find myself coming back to this movie. Its got flaws certainly, but its also got a lot of awesome scenes in it. Plus several of the actors do exceedingly well in their respective roles and Laurie Jupiter is super hot.

Who watches the Watchmen? I do.

I truly enjoyed the Watchmen movie and was surprised to find I enjoyed it even more the second time.
The topic has been locked.
More
21 Aug 2009 18:26 #38800 by Black Barney
will go see Note by Note: The Making of that Steinway piano thingie this weekend.

Next week I'll see:

The Cove (omg, it's gonna be amazing)
In the Loop (same)
Inglorious Basterds (I expect to be disappointed)

speaking of which, i watched Air Force One last night for some unknown reason. If I'm attracted to the president's daughter is that bad?
More
21 Aug 2009 19:13 #38807 by Bulwyf
I think some of you know by now that I'm a stay-at-home dad for my two boys. (7 and 5) So now that this is the last week of Summer vacation, I took them out to see Ponyo. We all really liked Hayao Miyazaki's "Spirited Away" so I figured it was worth a shot. It's a little wierd and the best way I can describe it is it's a Japanese fairytale. I think the animation in Spirited Away was better. If you have kids, I'd rent it when it comes out on DVD.

Oh and as for Watchmen, I think the best part of that movie was the opening title sequence.

-Will
More
21 Aug 2009 20:38 #38814 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I came out of spirited away thinking that it was OK. However it would have really shined if in addition to all the animal and nature spirits they had a giant transforming robot spirit.
More
24 Aug 2009 11:38 #38925 by Michael Barnes
Guys, it really breaks my heart to say this, but PONYO was _awful_.

I'm the guy here with the Miyazaki tattoo, so rest assured that I've _never_ felt this way about any of his films before PONYO. I love everything the man has ever touched deeply, except for this film. I feel like it was built on a couple of half-formed ideas that he was not committed to emotionally or creatively, and I think it _really_ shows in the art and animation- it's the crudest looking film he's ever made. I seriously can't believe Ghibli made a film that looked this poor- even the pictures they've put out from other directors like Isao Takahata looked better than this, and some of those are 20 years old.

The whole thing with the undersea transvestite wizard (really a variation on HOWL'S transvestite wizard) was _almost_ a good idea, but it wound up being a really boring and strangely cynical plot point. The COCCOON bit with the old people was embarassingly bad, and there was a lack of cohesion throughout the whole film. Worse, there was nothing of the depth of PRINCESS MONONOKE, the wonder of SPIRITED AWAY, or the simple, everyday magic of TOTORO. There's not a single scene where I felt like Miyazaki really had his heart in it. Yeah, I know this is more of a kid's film, but TOTORO was too. This is like a bad kid's film, not a Miyazaki kid's film.

He's been making his last film ever since PRINCESS MONONOKE...SPIRITED AWAY was supposed to be it too, as was HOWL'S...and every time I hoped that it wouldn't be. I still hope PONYO isn't his last, but I think that it's the first time where I felt like maybe he's ready to retire.

INGLOURIOUS BASTEREDS, however...I'll make another thread.
More
24 Aug 2009 12:22 #38948 by Schweig!
LOCKWOOD DESERT, NEVADA
A very stupid German artsy movie.

POPULÄRMUSIK FRÅN VITTULA
Actually pretty good. Many disturbing, but hilarious scenes. Swedish movie.

PLOTS WITH A VIEW
Funny love story. Not particularly suited for my age group, though.

KILL BILL
A disappointment. I liked the wake up scene but that's about it.

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT (1979)
Excellent (anti-)war movie.
More
24 Aug 2009 14:12 - 24 Aug 2009 14:13 #38975 by san il defanso
I just Ponyo this weekend, and I thought it was full of adorable. On the list of the Miyazaki movies I've seen, I'd put it below Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, and about on par with My Neighbor Totoro.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2009 14:13 by san il defanso. Reason: goofed the HTML
More
24 Aug 2009 14:22 #38976 by mrmarcus
I watched Repo! The Genetic Opera! this weekend.

What a weird movie. It didn't really make sense but for some reason was entertaining.
More
24 Aug 2009 16:47 #39006 by Black Barney
Ponyo is totally a 9/10. Great kids movie. Obviously not as good as Spirited Away but that's fine. I liked it better than Howl's Moving Castle.

I saw Note by Note: The Making of the Steinway L1037 on the weekend. 9/10, good flick.

Tomorrow double feature of Inglorious Basterds and The Cove. Can't wait.
More
26 Aug 2009 11:09 #39319 by ChristopherMD
Watched Starship Troopers 2. A complete piece of shit in just about every way.
More
26 Aug 2009 11:33 #39321 by mikoyan
Over the weekend, I watched a movie called "Zero Hour". It stars Dana Andrews and Sterling Hayden and is the movie that the Zucker Brothers got about 90% of their material for Airplane! If you listen to it, most of the lines are used in airplane only they are serious in this movie.
More
26 Aug 2009 18:09 #39414 by Black Barney
Mad Dog wrote:

Watched Starship Troopers 2. A complete piece of shit in just about every way.

agreed. I watched that because I was promised good titty shots and it failed to deliver. First one was way better (in every respect)

Saw Inglorious Basterds yesterday, solid 9/10 but much better was The Cove which I saw last night. OMG, an amazing documentary. 10/10. Moving and disturbing. Loved it.
More
26 Aug 2009 18:20 #39418 by Space Ghost
Watched two movies last night:

The Great Buck Howard: A cutsy little movie that was ok.

Dead Man: An older move (mid-90s) with Johnny Depp. The movie was weird, but good.
More
27 Aug 2009 01:44 #39468 by KingPut
What I haven't been watching: I received Twilight about 1 month ago by Netflix but I couldn't sit down and watch it. Finally, my 12 year daughter decided to watch it Sunday night. She said it was the worst movie she had ever watched including the B SF movies Uba took her to this summer. I'm immediately sent Twilight back in so I can get something better.
More
27 Aug 2009 13:44 - 27 Aug 2009 13:44 #39535 by ChristopherMD
Starship Troopers 3. Definitely better than the second one and tries to emulate the original more, but still a direct-to-video deal. They should have stuck with the drama in this one as the few action scenes really weren't good. Probably worth seeing if you're a fan and particularly if you liked the news reels in the first one as this had a lot more and they were generally just as fun. Do you want to know more?
Last edit: 27 Aug 2009 13:44 by ChristopherMD.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.560 seconds