October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BEER(s) have you been drinking?

More
27 Aug 2009 17:50 #39588 by Pat II
My favorite beer is called Scotch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2009 18:22 #39595 by Juniper
Pat II wrote:

Do you prefer to use a pint glass, or do you drink it straight from the bottle?

More
27 Aug 2009 18:32 #39596 by Pat II
Two fingers - vertical to the bottom of the glass my friend.

There is a certain joy that I get from swiggin from a bottle though I admit. I'm usually far past any sense of class or decorum at that point.

More
27 Aug 2009 18:41 #39598 by KingPut
Michael Barnes wrote:

I like the hops, but the ridiculous "oh my god can you believe how many hops we use!" IPAs don't really appeal to me.

The more inaccessible they make it, the more the elites flock to it. Where have we seen that before?

You really see this kind of attitude in some of the breweries like Stone that tout the extreme bitterness of their IPAs as a selling point. I mean, their ultra-hopped IPA is called "Arrogant Bastard" for a reason. I mean, you've got to be a true beer conniseur to like it, right? Sorry, I'd drink a Bud light over a Stone IPA. It at least tastes somewhat like a beer.

Usually, I like extreme flavors and purity- I like the 80%+ cacao chocolate, the extremely rancid blue cheeses, black French Press coffee, and so on. But I think IPAs and super-hoppy beers get away from what it's supposed to taste like just as much as a watermelon beer or a can of Hamm's does.

Bull crap. Stick to something you know some about like reviewing free games:) People can talk trash about the games I like but don't mess with my BEER.

IPA's have been around for 300 years so it's hardly an fade like watermelon flavored beer. Over the last 20 years there's a growing market for stronger flavored foods and beverages everywhere including beer that's why microbrewed beers and IPA's have grown in popularity. Smaller brewery have to push the uniqueness of their beers to survive. Come on do you think Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada would have survived it a came out with a beer that tasted just like Budweiser.

I run a taste testing lab so I have incredible respect for peoples unique and personal tastes in food. So I respect that you and the majority of population like Bud Lite but there is no reason to lower yourself to Weeks like level and call people elitest because they like hoppy IPA beers. It's not elitest thing its a taste thing.

More
27 Aug 2009 18:46 #39599 by Pat II
Fin Du Monde - a beer so strong it's classified as a wine.

More
27 Aug 2009 19:11 #39604 by Not Sure
Whoa, I never said people can't possibly like the super-hopped IPAs, or that people should stop making them.

I do think there's an "escalation of cool" there, and it's not one I buy into. Brown Ale for me, but I've consumed plenty of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as well. It's extremely common around here. The Lagunitas IPA is about the edge of hoppiness enjoyment for me. Other people can do what they want.

Pat II wrote:

Yeah, I second that.

More
27 Aug 2009 19:31 #39607 by ChristopherMD
I'm drinking Dogfish Head's Raison D'Etre right now. Another long time favorite.

I don't like IPA's or hoppy beers in most cases, but there's always exceptions. Dogfish Head's Indian Brown is hoppy, but interesting because the hops in that one have a distinct flavor. What it really comes down to is hops make beer more bitter to counteract the sweetness. Some people prefer bitter, some people prefer sweet. If you look at the Belgian lambic's most of them are sour. I think only Lindemann's makes sweet lambic's widely available in the US. Belgian's prefer the sour lambic's, but everyone I know prefers the sweet.

More
28 Aug 2009 10:48 #39716 by Columbob
Pat II wrote:

It's still only 9% or so, there are stronger beers around. Chimay is also pretty strong, and I think the strongest in the world (anyways the strongest I've ever tasted) is Stanislaus or something at 14%, brewed once a year for Christmas.

More
28 Aug 2009 10:55 #39718 by ChristopherMD
Columbob wrote:

Pat II wrote:

It's still only 9% or so, there are stronger beers around. Chimay is also pretty strong, and I think the strongest in the world (anyways the strongest I've ever tasted) is Stanislaus or something at 14%, brewed once a year for Christmas.

Samichlaus was the strongest for a long time, but several breweries including Sam Adams have produced stronger in recent years. Samichlaus is still my favorite though.

More
28 Aug 2009 11:22 #39721 by Pat II
Columbob wrote:

Pat II wrote:

I haven't noticed this Chimay...can I get it at the Dep or only at the SAQ?

More
28 Aug 2009 11:39 #39723 by Columbob
They only had the big blue bottles (9%, 75cl) at one of the local SAQ, for about $10.

They have three different labels, red, triple and blue (7%, 8% and 9% respectively), I had them in one of the various bars around the area with a wide variety of beers. About the same price too. Don't know about such places in Montréal, but in Ottawa you have Pub Italia on Preston and Vineyards in the Market, and in Aylmer L'autre oeil, which all boast 150-200 different types of beers.

More
28 Aug 2009 11:46 - 28 Aug 2009 11:47 #39724 by OldHippy
Pat II wrote:

I'd rather have Irish Whiskey myself. A bottle of Red Brest and some bluegrass jams. That's living.

Drank a bunch of Belgian stuff the other night. Gulden Drak (10.5), Piraat (9), something with death (mort) in the title that was corcked and way to sweet, I forgot because I'll never drink it again, and an Oval... not too strong (4.?) but still tasty. Every once in awhile I'll buy a bunch of those types in singles and just enjoy. My brother in law was over to visit and my wife is always much more lenient with the drinking when he's around.

Ya know, I think I like that guy.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 11:47 by OldHippy.

More
28 Aug 2009 11:56 #39725 by Pat II
Columbob wrote:

They only had the big blue bottles (9%, 75cl) at one of the local SAQ, for about $10.

They have three different labels, red, triple and blue (7%, 8% and 9% respectively), I had them in one of the various bars around the area with a wide variety of beers. About the same price too. Don't know about such places in Montréal, but in Ottawa you have Pub Italia on Preston and Vineyards in the Market, and in Aylmer L'autre oeil, which all boast 150-200 different types of beers.

I might stop by the SAQ on the way home. Thanks.

More
28 Aug 2009 12:10 #39726 by Grudunza
Root... Mug or A&W.

:oP

More
28 Aug 2009 12:11 #39727 by ChristopherMD
Grudunza wrote:

Root... Mug or A&W.

:oP

Barq's has bite.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds