October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOOK(s) are you reading? ARCHIVE

More
21 Mar 2011 17:12 #91483 by Ska_baron
wdgrant wrote:

I am nearly finished with 1984. One of my favorites and this re-reading has been quite enjoyable.

Finally rereading this one as well!

Couldnt find my copy before so I reready Brave New World. Nowhere near as good to me at all. I remember reading both in HS for English and preferring 1984 to BNW, but still... One has aged well and the other I had to force myself to finish.

Never found my copy of 1984, but it's available online, so I'm reading it on my droid.
The topic has been locked.
More
21 Mar 2011 18:00 #91492 by OldHippy
I don't know if I'm alone on this but I prefer Brave New World immensley... although I didn't when I was 20. I think that the idea that peope want to be controlled and do it themselves is much more convincing then the notion that it is forced upon us. I also really liked the savage angel and the idea of kids using sex for fun. These things strike me as much more relevant then the notions put forth in 84... except the language thing, but Huxley did that too to some degree.

I'm reading some Richard Matheson shorts right now and their a lot of fun. Funny enough as huge as the guy is I hadn't read him before and only becuase I was giving my brother some horror books did I realize this and felt I should correct the oversite immediately.

Next, the doctor is giving me some Martin so I'll get to find out what all you nerds are talking about.
More
21 Mar 2011 19:06 #91510 by Columbob
Octavian wrote:

Just started Well of Ascension in Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. First book was solid, though some minor parts of his writing style bother me and stand out more here than in his Wheel of Time books.

I just don't think he's such a great writer. Sure he's a workhorse and puts the shoulder to the wheel and gets lots of stuff done and published, but I probably won't pick up his stuff besides WoT, as his writing hasn't really impressed me. And who needs another 10-book fantasy series? Might try one of his stand alones some day.
More
21 Mar 2011 19:45 #91518 by jay718
wdgrant wrote:

Lone Wolf and Cup is great. I have the first 50 or so issues in the full comic size from the 80s. I only wish the rest was available like that. I love the story, but hate the small books they used to reprint it here within the last 10 years. This story and Cerebus are the best epic comics I have read. Lone Wolf doesn't bog down for too long with a diatribe on the Bible like Cerebus though, thank goodness.

Jacob, I am actually about 20 pages into Naked Lunch. I am enjoying it so far. I had read Junky previously and really enjoyed it. Naked Lunch is definitely more difficult prose, but so far it is interesting.

Junky, Queer, and Naked Lunch all kinda seemed like the same book to me. I agree about those Archie Digest sized Lone Wolf reprints. I loved that bookshelf/restige format when I was a kid and these came out, especially the first bunch with the Miller covers. The Sienkiwitz ones never really did it for me, although I was a big fan of Elektra: Assasin.
More
21 Mar 2011 19:57 #91521 by JoelCFC25
I read Heretics of Dune while on spring break in Florida. Most action-packed book since the 1st of the series (I've never read all six). Lasguns, no-ships, sex, Ixian probes, Face Dancers, treachery...it's got the lot.
More
21 Mar 2011 20:00 #91522 by Columbob
JoelCFC25 wrote:

I read Heretics of Dune while on spring break in Florida. Most action-packed book since the 1st of the series (I've never read all six). Lasguns, no-ships, sex, Ixian probes, Face Dancers, treachery...it's got the lot.

Go on with the next one (Chapterhouse: Dune), it's the direct sequel and more of this. Totally worth it. Most people don't get so far in the Duneverse because of the philosophizing tedium of books 2-4.
More
21 Mar 2011 20:05 #91523 by iguanaDitty
I didn't even know there was a big version of Lone Wolf and Cub. Regardless, my favorite manga bar none. Just gorgeous from start to finish and really well-written.

I am obligated every time anyone mentions 1984 to recommend We by Yegeny Zamiatin, the USSR book 1984 was based on, and in some ways superior.
More
21 Mar 2011 20:40 #91529 by Bernie
Just read Ender's Game for the first time on the train back from ConnCon. Really enjoyed it. Just kept putting it off. Is it worth reading any further in the series or should I stop here.

Also, who ever recomended Bite Me, Blood sucking fiends and You Suck on audio book is a GOD! Fantastic fun.
More
21 Mar 2011 22:18 #91542 by jay718
Leon McNichol wrote:

Just read Ender's Game for the first time on the train back from ConnCon. Really enjoyed it. Just kept putting it off. Is it worth reading any further in the series or should I stop here.

Also, who ever recomended Bite Me, Blood sucking fiends and You Suck on audio book is a GOD! Fantastic fun.

Personally I thought Speaker for the Dead was much better than Ender's Game, and that everything that came later was crap.
More
21 Mar 2011 23:29 #91547 by MattFantastic
I like the Ender's Shadow series a whole lot too. Bean is way cooler than lame ol ender.
More
22 Mar 2011 00:24 #91550 by Octavian
jay718 wrote:

Leon McNichol wrote:

Personally I thought Speaker for the Dead was much better than Ender's Game, and that everything that came later was crap.

Boom and Boom.

I remember reading somewhere that Speaker was the book Card had always wanted to write, but the character's childhood was so complex that a prologue or even a couple chapters wouldn't do it justice - so it became Ender's Game. It seems to me like once he opened the Pandora's Box of turning it into a series that he kept delaying actually finishing the damned thing and it became a hot mess.

Series vs Series, the Shadow books beat the Ender books. But those first two Ender books are the top of the list.
More
22 Mar 2011 02:19 #91554 by cybrshaman
Just started re-reading GRRM's A Song Of Ice & Fire series in anticipation of the upcoming HBO series... and the alleged July release of A Dance With Dragons.
More
22 Mar 2011 08:28 #91568 by Dair
I finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo this weekend. I found it only average. I didn't really like the characters and found too many things far fetched. I don't plan on reading any of the other books.

I also finally started listening to the audiobook of The Fellowship of the Ring. It has been on my to read list for far to long and I am enjoying it so far. Very detailed, and probably too slow for some people, but I am a big fan of detail, so I am enjoying it.
More
22 Mar 2011 09:09 #91570 by Chapel
wdgrant wrote:

I finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo this weekend. I found it only average. I didn't really like the characters and found too many things far fetched. I don't plan on reading any of the other books.

That is why I thought it made for better film than a novel. It was pretty far fetched. Shit her family alone I think I saw on an episode of the X Files.

As for Ender's Game, I guess I'm just going to have to read it again one of these days, even with my rule of never reading a book twice. I read Ender's Game in 1985...26 frickin' years ago! I can hardly even remember the plot anymore.
More
22 Mar 2011 09:34 #91572 by Dair
Yeah, I will probably check out the movie. If it is good, all just watch the others, rather than read them.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds