October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
09 Mar 2024 13:42 #341930 by ChristopherMD
Well if anyone from around here ever goes, I hope you'll say that you're playing to save the site.

Or, if anyone from around here goes to the World Boardgaming Championships instead, you'll find a lot of other people from around here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2024 11:59 #341932 by Rliyen

hotseatgames wrote: Korean, I have not seen the American one and have no desire to do so.

The Korean one was beyond fucked up, even for my high tolerance of fucked up situations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
11 Mar 2024 12:02 #341933 by Rliyen

Disgustipater wrote:

Cranberries wrote: Did Irulan get pregnant from Sting in the book?

No, you are confusing characters/actors. That was Lady Margot Fenring, played by Léa Seydoux.

Yes, because they wanted to preserve the bloodline for future use.

More
13 Mar 2024 10:22 #341945 by Shellhead
Is the genre of a movie important? Maybe not, because there are good movies in every genre. Or maybe so, because an identifiable genre may make it easier for a viewer to select a movie without watching a spoiler-laden trailer. A woman that I have been dating lately asked if we could go see American Fiction together. I watched a lengthy trailer and got the impression that American Fiction would be a great comedy with scathing commentary about race in America.

American Fiction is actually a good movie, but a weak comedy. The funny material was all in the trailer, and revolved around a single funny idea: American readers only want to read works by black authors if they are gritty stories weighted down with racist tropes and urban vernacular. Jeffrey Wright absolutely nails the lead role as a black author who reluctantly and cynically sells out just so he can afford quality care for his mother with Alzheimer's. The movie spends a lot of time establishing that this author grew up in an affluent family and received an excellent education. This setup does enhance the comedy of the scenes where he pretends to be an ignorant fugitive from justice who just happened to write a book. Unfortunately, aside from the funny scenes shown in the trailer, this is a slow and somewhat sad movie. The racial commentary is interesting, but too restrained. There was potential for this movie to deliver some brilliant insights about our society's dysfunctional attitudes about race, but somebody lacked the courage to go there.

The ending is a bit surprising, pulling back from the story to reveal that it was just a story and the real story is just a more cynical character played by Jeffrey Wright pitching a movie about the story.

More
13 Mar 2024 10:33 #341946 by Jackwraith
I kinda think you missed it...? All of those messages about dysfunctional communications and perspectives about race (and sexuality) were present, from the very subtle (Agnes referring to Monk as "Monkie") to the blatantly obvious ("I think heeding Black voices is important right now!" except, of course, the two Black voices in the room telling you the book is awful...) All of those brilliant insights are right there.

The ending wasn't a "dream sequence" thing. The events did happen. It's Monk having written the screenplay about those events for the producer (who is currently sitting on the set of Plantation Annihilation, the film he was telling Monk about at the restaurant) which is how he's planning to reveal the whole ruse behind the book.

It was the best film of last year's Oscar season, by far, IMO. Certainly, having been in Monk's position many times, seeing what becomes popular because it fits the purpose of people wanting to turn their brains off in the theater, it definitely appeals to me on probably more levels than it will for others. But just the writing and Wright's and Sterling K. Brown's performances put it way over the top for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater

More
18 Mar 2024 18:00 #341967 by Shellhead
I liked the original Battle Royale (2000) well enough, as a violent parody of reality tv, but Battle Royalle 2: Requiem (2003) was disappointing. Both movies have a similar beginning, but this time the contestants are tasked with hunting down a terrorist group started by the survivors from the first movie. That's an okayish premise, but the government constantly undermines the contestants by mindlessly applying restrictions and obstacles that would make sense only if they were just re-running the original game format. For example, all of the contestants are randomly assigned to male-female pairs, and if either member of the pair dies or moves more than 50 meters from the other member, both of their collars explode and blow their heads off. So the directness of the original premise is lost and replaced with an inferior concept that the writers sort of ignore. They even kept the idea of the shifting random danger zones, which only hinders the new contestants and does nothing to inconvenience the terrorists.

A few hours after I ran a Deadpool deck while playing Marvel Champions with a friend, I re-watched the original Deadpool movie on Max. Still funny, but some of the shock value of the shocks was diminished upon repeat viewing. It was fun to see the origin of the MC Deadpool card called Maximum Effort.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds