October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
20 Mar 2018 01:28 #266009 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Sagrilarus wrote: I saw Game Night last night and it was very good. Great characters. We had a good audience too that added a few laughs when there wasn't a lot of noise on the screen. I thought they did a good job of balancing the comedy and the excitement.

Not so much as the slightest call out to hobby games. Naddah. Nothing. A big slice of don't-care-pie for what we all think is this raging new industry. Apparently not enough for Hollywood to notice!

Just saw this and I was watching for some sense of hobby games too. There were 2 that I spotted, one not a shock and so unexpected I swear I must have been mistaken. Over the start credits they have a bunch of game pieces falling in the background and one is a city from Catan. The weird one I would love to have confirmed by someone else is a scene where someone is climbing through a window and in a bookshelf below them is a copy of Renegade Legion: Leviathan.

My wife and myself were discussing the crap games they play and suspect that the script was written by a gamer and featured some hobby games and the studio told them to change it to mass market games.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2018 12:34 #266020 by SuperflyPete

Black Barney wrote: MOON is also the only Kevin Spacey movie that isn’t ruined

Wait...isn’t Moon a Sam Rockwell film? Where was Kevin Rapey in that?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
20 Mar 2018 12:45 #266021 by charlest

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Black Barney wrote: MOON is also the only Kevin Spacey movie that isn’t ruined

Wait...isn’t Moon a Sam Rockwell film? Where was Kevin Rapey in that?

He's the voice of the robot assistant.

More
20 Mar 2018 12:52 #266022 by Black Barney

Omg I love this movie so much
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, SuperflyPete

More
20 Mar 2018 14:13 #266023 by SuperflyPete
Knowing that makes the movie so much more surreal. If only the voice could’ve been Cosby we’d also know why the clones wake up groggy and sore
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
20 Mar 2018 17:00 #266039 by Gregarius
I get that the allegations against him are bad, but isn't there a line to be drawn somewhere that separates the artist from the art? Are we to banish Picasso exhibitions because of his philandering? And why can athletes be convicted of crimes and not lose status, but mere accusations against movie stars destroy their careers?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
20 Mar 2018 18:07 #266048 by Black Barney
that's a conversation that I would very much like to have as well.

I was walking home from the bus last night and couldn't stop thinking of Casey Affleck for some reason and the blowback he's getting cuz of allegations around... harassment? I think it's harassment. I can't remember. Anyway, this is one of my favourite actors. I think he's genius in front of the camera and I loved him in Manchester by the Sea, Gone Baby Gone and even when he has little roles in Good Will Hunting and Ocean's Eleven (the one with the guys). Maybe it's cuz his specific allegations don't seem particularly bad to me at all, but I have no problem continuing to enjoy him as an actor in past, present and future performances. No issue at all.

It's pretty easy to dismiss Harvey for me cuz he's just a producer AND his accusations are shocking and extremely distasteful. So if he were to appear in something, i'd have trouble watching it be it something new or old. Luckily he's just a producer so no harm done.

I'll admit that I have trouble watching Mel Gibson or Kevin Spacey stuff without thinking of the drama around them. It's affected me as a viewer and fan for sure. Luckily with Spacey, i think i'll be able to still enjoy MOON no problem at all. Haven't tried it yet.

I think the difference between athletes and movie stars, is that movie stars require serious financial backing for the movies to be made. So that's a risk that someone is taking. They're certainly not going to take additional risk by casting someone who's movie might get boycotted and made an example of, costing that person millions. With athletes, it's all paid for already and fans don't care. They want the team to win. If no law hasn't been broken, they don't care. With movie stars, it's not the fans' opinion which matters, it's the financial backers who aren't going to green light stuff with these risks.

public perception matters in some industries (movies, tv, politics) that rely heavily on investment and financing. it matters much less in others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
20 Mar 2018 18:24 #266051 by Colorcrayons

Gregarius wrote: I get that the allegations against him are bad, but isn't there a line to be drawn somewhere that separates the artist from the art? Are we to banish Picasso exhibitions because of his philandering? And why can athletes be convicted of crimes and not lose status, but mere accusations against movie stars destroy their careers?

I'm not a fan of the trend of accusing, and the court of public opinion condemning.

It bothers me the selective hypocrisy of separating the art from the artist.

Condemn lovecraft because he was a racist early on in life. His contributions to literature amongst others thrown to the 4 winds.

Condemn Abraham Lincoln because he was also a racist and wanted to segregate black people to an island away from the United States.
His contributions are null and void... Er wait....

*Eyeroll*
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius, Nodens

More
21 Mar 2018 14:11 #266101 by ChristopherMD
Murder on the Orient Express - Never read the book but had the ending spoiled for me years ago. Maybe if I didn't know the end I'd have enjoyed the movie more. Mostly I found it bland and boring like plain oatmeal. Was cool seeing Daisy Ridley in something other than Star Wars but she didn't have much to do here.

Belko Experiment - Basically its Battle Royale in an office building with co-workers forced to kill each other. Only watched it because a co-worker recommended it which maybe I should be concerned about. It was direct-to-video level stuff with absolutely no suspense or underlying themes and nothing to say about anything. You'd think it would at least dig at corporate culture a little but nope. Just dudes killing other dudes at the office.

More
21 Mar 2018 16:59 #266109 by RobertB
I watched Contagion again, the feel-good Pandemic Apocalypse hit of 2012. The conversation about it at work was, "Is that the one with Dustin Hoffman?" "No, the other one." "Oh, yeah." I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a favorite, but I do like it. For the most part it's either relatively scientifically accurate*, or they're handwaving hard enough to fool me.

*With one exception. I didn't think immunology worked like it did in one part of the movie.

More
21 Mar 2018 17:39 #266112 by Black Barney
I was surprised that Paltrow took that role. What an awful character to play

More
22 Mar 2018 04:45 #266164 by Nodens
I can't separate any form of art from the artist. That being said, I don't have a problem when everything isn't just black and white. For me, Lovecraft's writing is actually less frightening if you ignore what kind of person he was. But the Spacey thing bothers me. IIRC, there had been a party at his place, he was under the influence of several substances and went to bed, finding a minor. Now, how does a minor end up in his bed anyway? Where are the parents? His being such a klotz about it and coming out in defense didn't help. Now Affleck 'just made a mistake' and will be redeemed in 2019 but Spacey is done. Is this actually homophobia?

Looking for light entertainment that wasn't too deep, we came across something called Butter. What a great movie. From an anthropological perspective, it's highly interesting as the plot develops around a butter carving contest in Iowa. What a disgusting and wasteful activity, right down my alley. A great cast and a script that reminded me of older Cusack films. Some really dark jokes in an otherwise pretty friendly environment. If you pay attention, it serves some nice offhanded cuts while being just very real. People are like that sometimes. Parts of it are 'Phil Dunphy, the movie', but he's not the main character. It's got an unusual amount of interesting female characters.
I read it got dismissed because a lot of people thought it was a satire about the 2012 republican election. I don't think that was intended at all, just a stupid coincidence. It wasn't intended as a Palin impression, I'd bet. Tons of jabs at racism, hypocrisy, that strange form of christianity and that even stranger form of liberal/conservative divide that imploded shortly after.
Coming round full circle, I had a great time until the credits rolled and I saw it was a Weinstein movie. Now, do I have to like it less? Nah, but I stopped smiling and got all serious for a moment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
23 Mar 2018 08:25 #266225 by Josh Look
PACIFIC RIM: UPRISING

This movie was big, loud, dumb, and tons of fun. In a lot of ways better than the first (Boyega > Hunan, plot, if you can call it that) but didn’t quite have del Toro’s finese. It ain’t high art, it’s giant robots punching giant monsters and every character is a cartoon, but if you were expecting anything else, you’re looking at the wrong movie. Great fun!

More
23 Mar 2018 10:14 #266233 by hotseatgames
It's okay to like something created by / featuring a douche bag.

Otherwise, prepare to live in a world without art.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
23 Mar 2018 10:47 #266239 by RobertB
Nodens wrote:

From an anthropological perspective, it's highly interesting as the plot develops around a butter carving contest in Iowa. What a disgusting and wasteful activity, right down my alley.

The Ohio State Fair has a butter cow every year, with other 'art' on exhibition being relatively topical. Worth seeing so you can check it off your bucket list.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.515 seconds