October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
03 Apr 2018 15:44 #266917 by Shellhead
You want to see Black Panther on a big screen. Some dazzling visuals, and the pacing is very good. Normally, I get restless after the 2-hour mark of any long movie, but Black Panther is 2 hours and 15 minutes long and I was still very engaged right up to the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2018 18:57 #266922 by Sevej

Sagrilarus wrote: Watching Valerian right now. It’s a chase scene with two uncharismatic characters leading it.

Any chance they’re both killed before the second half of the film?

A lot of recent movies are just like this to me (although Valerian does stand out more in this regard).

Is this a generational gap? Are actors relatively younger now? I mean, back then actors are not always super handsome, but they are very likeable.

More
04 Apr 2018 08:38 #266932 by Sagrilarus
I think its the CW effect. All main characters need to be young and pretty (males need to be pretty too.) Beverley Hills 90210 lives on. In Valerian, the leading man was maybe 22, and appeared to be of high rank and 20 years of experience on the job. The leading lady made reference to his years of service, which sounded absurd to someone 53 years old.

I appreciate they want to appeal to a younger demographic, but write the role to match the actor. Had he been presented as a brash new guy with talent it might have made sense, instead they presented him as a seat-or-the-pants frat-brother troublemaker that somehow had years of history with his commanding officers. Just didn't make sense.

The other thing that the young crowd seems fascinated with is assholes. Lead characters have to be condescending dicks that tell everyone to fuck off to their face. Nobody is allowed to be subtle, or even cunning. And they have all the answers, and are always right. I'm curious to see how they handle the new Han Solo, as he doesn't fit that mold. I'm thinking they may slide him into it.

More
04 Apr 2018 11:28 #266939 by Thaadd
We are doing a weekly movie night at our house, and last night I subjected the boyfriend and 2 friends of mine to the original, 1986 Highlander film. The other couple had never seen it, and were pretty amused. I hadn't seen it in ages, forgotten how hokey the effects were. Explosions! Animated lightning!

Still, has Clancy Brown and for this role, I had a major crush on him in Highschool. Now he looks like he should be hanging out in a leather daddy bar. Still hunky, though, if your tastes run to 'giant faux Russian metal dudes'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Jackwraith, Nodens

More
04 Apr 2018 12:01 #266943 by jeb
Clancy Brown is fucking great. When has he ever not been great? CARNIVALE? SHAWSHANK? Such a great heavy. He can also cut it as tame little dudes like in BUCKAROO BANZAI or THE INFORMANT! He's awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thaadd, ChristopherMD, Nodens

More
04 Apr 2018 12:43 #266946 by Jackwraith
I have never been a Highlander fan, but I'll chime in on Clancy Brown. His acting style fits that kind of melodrama and OTT stuff. It usually makes him quite memorable as "that guy who did that thing and glared all the time." (former video store manager experience talking.) And, after all, he's Mr. Krabs, too. So credit where it's due.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
04 Apr 2018 12:51 #266948 by Gregarius

Sagrilarus wrote: I think its the CW effect. All main characters need to be young and pretty (males need to be pretty too.) Beverley Hills 90210 lives on. In Valerian, the leading man was maybe 22, and appeared to be of high rank and 20 years of experience on the job. The leading lady made reference to his years of service, which sounded absurd to someone 53 years old.

I hated that aspect as well. And it could've been fixed with just a couple lines of dialog along the lines of "This body's starting to slow down, I think I need a new one." "Already? That's your fifth one this decade." or some such.

More
04 Apr 2018 13:05 #266951 by bronb

Thaadd wrote: I had a major crush on him in Highschool.

jeb wrote: Clancy Brown is fucking great. When has he ever not been great? CARNIVALE? SHAWSHANK? Such a great heavy. He can also cut it as tame little dudes like in BUCKAROO BANZAI or THE INFORMANT! He's awesome.

Looks like jeb did too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
04 Apr 2018 14:44 #266956 by Sagrilarus

Jackwraith wrote: I have never been a Highlander fan, but I'll chime in on Clancy Brown. His acting style fits that kind of melodrama and OTT stuff. It usually makes him quite memorable as "that guy who did that thing and glared all the time." (former video store manager experience talking.) And, after all, he's Mr. Krabs, too. So credit where it's due.

He is also still under contract for a sequel Buckaroo Banzai film, has been since 1984.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
05 Apr 2018 10:23 #266997 by jeb
Why aren't they rebooting that shit? I need to watch POINT BREAK six times over and they won't reboot BUCKAROO?

More
05 Apr 2018 11:25 #267009 by Shellhead
I watched Buckaroo Banzai twice. Once in the theater when it first came out. Then a few years ago, while I was unemployed. I didn't enjoy it the first time around, but so many people kept talking it up online that I decided to give it a second chance. Nope, still one of the worst movies that I have ever seen. Too many characters. Weak story. Lame jokes. Truly terrible fx. And yet not quite bad enough to be fun in an MST 3000 sort of way. Probably the best thing about Buckaroo Banzai is the talented cast that is wasted on this trainwreck of a movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
05 Apr 2018 11:28 #267010 by jeb
Okay then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
05 Apr 2018 11:29 #267011 by Mr. White

the closing credits are considered a bit of a cult classic

More
05 Apr 2018 11:53 - 05 Apr 2018 11:54 #267019 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote: I watched Buckaroo Banzai twice. Once in the theater when it first came out. Then a few years ago, while I was unemployed. I didn't enjoy it the first time around, but so many people kept talking it up online that I decided to give it a second chance. Nope, still one of the worst movies that I have ever seen. Too many characters. Weak story. Lame jokes. Truly terrible fx. And yet not quite bad enough to be fun in an MST 3000 sort of way. Probably the best thing about Buckaroo Banzai is the talented cast that is wasted on this trainwreck of a movie.

It is certainly an acquired taste. I rented it on VHS, watched it that evening and came away thinking I had missed about half of the film. The sound on it isn't very good and there are about 100 details that aren't clear on their first review. I watched it again the following morning and enjoyed it more.

I'll note I was reading Pynchon at the time, which is incorporated into the film quite a bit. The humor and setting call out to The Crying of Lot 49. That gave it a little extra heft for me personally. A lucky break.

I eventually owned a copy and would play half an hour at a time just to fill time as I was doing something else and finally got the entire body of it understood. I don't think I'd do it again at this age, but at the time it was entertaining.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2018 11:54 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
06 Apr 2018 21:43 #267082 by Cranberries
I enjoyed it in high school and then watched it after I got married with my wife and a muggle couple. It's definitely an acquired taste. I should make a list of movies that I've shown to the wrong groups at the wrong time.

That MIchael Moore documentary about Flint, Michigan. Showed it to a bunch of BYU students in my apartment complex.

Watched The Color Purple on a date, BYU student. She was horrified and traumatized because she had apparently suffered abuse, which she later explained was strictly emotional.

Double date in graduate school to see The French Connection. That is not a date movie.

Took a date to see a movie about a Dutch killer, The Vanishing, where a guy is buried alive at the end. Also at BYU. She informed me she was in love with a French guy.

I could go on, but it's too painful.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.590 seconds