October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2688 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
09 Apr 2018 10:54 #267132 by Gregarius

cranberries wrote: Took a date to see a movie about a Dutch killer, The Vanishing, where a guy is buried alive at the end. Also at BYU. She informed me she was in love with a French guy.

I love The Vanishing (stay far away from the American remake). However, I'm not sure there even is an "appropriate" way to introduce another person to this movie, so don't feel bad about that one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2018 10:57 #267134 by Black Barney
I'll go see QUIET PLACE tomorrow I think. It just looks way too cool. So far from what I've heard, guys like it and girls don't. lol

More
09 Apr 2018 11:01 #267136 by hotseatgames
Last night I watched Atomic Blonde on HBO. I was pleasantly surprised; this is a good action movie with lots of good actors.

And as you may have heard, the soundtrack is killer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
09 Apr 2018 11:33 #267139 by Black Barney
At the risk of upsetting Barnes, I guess it's that time that we start discussing SOLO which is coming out next month? I'm amazed there hasn't been any talk about it yet really, just an ocassional sidechat here and there.

Some new trailer is out and it looks all good and stuff, but I think they've made a horrible mistake casting Emilia Clarke in it. You have brunette Daenerys in Star Wars, in royal robes and everything. I even think Woody Harrelson might be a mistake. Anyway, still super interested to see it but those were pretty distracting things in the trailer for me.

More
09 Apr 2018 11:56 #267140 by ChristopherMD

Black Barney wrote: At the risk of upsetting Barnes, I guess it's that time that we start discussing SOLO which is coming out next month? I'm amazed there hasn't been any talk about it yet really, just an ocassional sidechat here and there.

Some new trailer is out and it looks all good and stuff, but I think they've made a horrible mistake casting Emilia Clarke in it. You have brunette Daenerys in Star Wars, in royal robes and everything. I even think Woody Harrelson might be a mistake. Anyway, still super interested to see it but those were pretty distracting things in the trailer for me.

The whole movie is a mistake.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

More
09 Apr 2018 11:56 #267141 by Space Ghost

Black Barney wrote: At the risk of upsetting Barnes, I guess it's that time that we start discussing SOLO which is coming out next month? I'm amazed there hasn't been any talk about it yet really, just an ocassional sidechat here and there.

Disney knows that most people aren't like you, so it will be fine

More
09 Apr 2018 12:17 #267143 by BillyBobThwarton
Maybe it was my low expectations or fear of Star Wars oversaturation, but that trailer really worked me up. I don't know that I've ever watched one four times in a row with the volume cranked higher each time. Regarding the actor playing Han, I was surprised how much I only saw the character. I'm sold.

More
09 Apr 2018 12:33 #267144 by Black Barney
I think Mad Dog may be right here. For sure this movie at some point makes sense to be made but as the tenth Star Wars movie? I think it’s way too early to be pulling this.

More
09 Apr 2018 13:02 - 09 Apr 2018 13:43 #267149 by Sagrilarus

Black Barney wrote: I think Mad Dog may be right here. For sure this movie at some point makes sense to be made but as the tenth Star Wars movie? I think it’s way too early to be pulling this.

Unless of course Disney thinks they could make money off of it.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2018 13:43 by Sagrilarus.

More
09 Apr 2018 13:15 #267150 by Jackwraith

Sagrilarus wrote:

Black Barney wrote: I think Mad Dog may be right here. For sure this movie at some point makes sense to be made but as the tenth Star Wars movie? I think it’s way too early to be pulling this.

Unless of course Disney thinks it they could make money off of it.

More
09 Apr 2018 13:44 #267152 by Black Barney
I was reading a piece on the weekend by Rex Murphy on the ails of Canada's oil and gas industry and I thought it was funny how he opened the piece with this:

There are mysteries beyond the ken of us mortals. How Star Wars came to be accepted as entertainment will torment the minds of the future’s great thinkers till the sun is a black blot in a dead universe.

More
09 Apr 2018 14:43 #267157 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: I'll go see QUIET PLACE tomorrow I think. It just looks way too cool. So far from what I've heard, guys like it and girls don't. lol

My wife liked it.

More
09 Apr 2018 15:25 #267159 by Joebot

I could give less of a shit about this movie, but that is a very good trailer. I love the music.

It all just feels so ... unnecessary. You know this movie is going to be nothing more than a giant checklist of origin stories. How did Han meet Chewie? Meet Lando? Get his gun? Get the Falcon? Get his vest? Say, "I have a bad feeling about this?" Learn to play space chess? And on and on and on.

Prequels, by their very nature, are pretty stupid, because there's so little tension. They're just flowcharts, to get you from Point A to a pre-determined Point B. The only prequel I've seen recently that was a worth a crap is Better Call Saul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

More
09 Apr 2018 15:28 #267160 by Sagrilarus

Joebot wrote: It all just feels so ... unnecessary. You know this movie is going to be nothing more than a giant checklist of origin stories. How did Han meet Chewie? Meet Lando? Get his gun? Get the Falcon? Get his vest? Say, "I have a bad feeling about this?" Learn to play space chess? And on and on and on.

For some reason, people LOVE this stuff. If they didn't include it they'd get skewered.

More
09 Apr 2018 15:29 #267161 by Black Barney
Rogue One worked for me (in terms of full tension) because I didn't know anything that was going to happen to the entire squad. All I knew was that Death Star Plans get to Leia at some point. And that "many Bothan spies lost their lives...". So that worked for me.

But you are totally right that if it's just a checklist love-fest, it will be awful in terms of story-telling.

At the end of the day for franchises like this, i think we need more "Logan" and less Phantom Menace - "Anakin Skywalker, meet Obi-Wan kenobi..."

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.573 seconds