October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
02 May 2018 07:15 - 03 May 2018 13:29 #272454 by Cranberries
Also on vacation.

Saw Bladerunner 2049 followed by The Florida Project and Columbus, Ohio. The Florida Project was so immersive and devastating that I couldn't remember that I had even seen Bladerunner 2049 for a few minutes. TFP had wiped my memory of it. I had to scroll through the list of movies to jog my (probably implanted) memory.

Bladerunner was beautiful fan fiction made with an Aspartame plot.

* I only have my phone right now
Last edit: 03 May 2018 13:29 by Cranberries. Reason: Barney
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, siberianhusky, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2018 09:57 #272474 by Black Barney
ugh, i need a dictionary reading cranberries' posts :(

I can't even guess what immerdive and aspartame mean. Immersive and spartan?

glad you saw those movies!

More
02 May 2018 11:27 #272485 by Not Sure
Aspartame is fake sugar (Sweet-n-Low), and an excellent metaphor for the plot of BR:2049.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
05 May 2018 19:57 #272716 by ChristopherMD
Please Stand By - A young autistic woman who's obsessed with Star Trek goes on a road trip by herself to deliver her fan script for a contest. Very well acted by Dakota Fanning who I don't think I've seen in anything since she was a kid. Pretty standard road trip stuff where she meets some good and bad people and learns some lessons along the way. Its really the main character's handicap and her Trek spirit that sets it apart. I give it a solid 7.

More
05 May 2018 20:44 #272719 by Black Barney
Speaking of solid 7s, I plan to go see Son of Bigfoot tomorrow morning with Emily. I hope it over performs my expectations :(

More
07 May 2018 19:42 #272848 by ChristopherMD
The Lodgers - A slow-burning Irish gothic tale. The story is okay, the acting is good, and the visuals/atmosphere is great. Would recommend to the right group.

More
08 May 2018 22:57 #272910 by Black Barney
Hey how bad is Solo going to be anyway?

More
09 May 2018 09:15 #272917 by Shellhead

Black Barney wrote: Hey how bad is Solo going to be anyway?

I am desperately hoping that Solo will be a badass grindhouse movie, and there will be a cantina scene featuring aliens dancing under a mirror ball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
09 May 2018 09:30 - 09 May 2018 09:30 #272919 by ChristopherMD
It'll probably be a fine movie but Star Wars fans will rip it apart anyways.

I'm just not interested in the premise at all. But I'll probably check it out on video cause its SW.
Last edit: 09 May 2018 09:30 by ChristopherMD.

More
09 May 2018 12:50 #272933 by jpat
Death of Stalin already has a separate thread, but I quite enjoyed it, especially Jason Isaac's work in it. You Were Never Really Here was OK if pretty hard to watch. Tully wasn't bad, but I wasn't entirely captivated, though it could be that I'm just jealous that no one's called me brave for gaining a bunch of weight. Outside the theater, I got around to watching Frankenheimer's 52 Pick-Up on Hulu. It's probably the best 1970s thriller released in 1986 by Cannon, and I have a pretty high tolerance for 70s thrillers. It's from an Elmore Leonard book, and he cowrote the screenplay. "Gratuitous" might be the best way to describe the whole thing.

More
09 May 2018 15:42 #272949 by Black Barney
Glad to hear that about Tully, I didn't know if I should be rushing to see that or what.

I just got back from THE RIDER, which was SOOOOOO good. My review will hopefully get put up soon. I want to share it on FB badly.

Next movie to see for me... not sure. Love, Simon? I dunno. I'm not really feel like seeing anything just yet. I just saw two movies, I should take a breather.

More
09 May 2018 16:40 #272960 by Gregarius
Yeah, I'm trying to decide between Tully and You Were Never Really Here, but neither one of them is really tempting me. Plus, the reviews for both are fair to middling.

I think MoviePass is making me feel compelled to see *any* movie, instead of waiting to see a movie that compels me.

More
09 May 2018 16:42 #272962 by Black Barney
go see THE RIDER! It's like The Wrestler splashed with a western. It's great, and it'll be much better on the big screen.

More
12 May 2018 13:59 #273194 by DarthJoJo
Picked up Colossal from Redbox last night. I’d been interested for a while, and though I liked, I didn’t like it quite so much as I had hoped.

Here’s the concept: following a sudden breakup, due in part to regular, heavy drinking, Anne Hathaway returns to her hometown and reconnects with an old friend who hires her to waitress at his bar. Not long after she realizes that she controls a kaiju that’s been destroying Seoul on the regular.

Can you guess the genre? The rest is spoilers.

There’s a kind of double bait-and-switch here. The first is between the marketing which plays the premise light and for laughs and the film itself which leans into darker drama with a touch of thriller. The second switch is in the theme. At the beginning it feels that it’s going to be an addiction story what with the damage one does while drunk to others and one’s s(e)o(u)l, but it turns into something about abuse and manipulation and generally terrible men about a third the way through and the alcoholism is brushed aside. Not that it isn’t done well, but I was just more interested in that first story.

Anyway, I liked it. The end was thrilling and right, and Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis turned in great performances. I think I enjoy Hathaway’s more natural performances like this and Rachel at the Wedding most.

More
12 May 2018 14:33 #273195 by Colorcrayons
My GF and I agreed it was a lifetime kaiju dramedy.

Since she likes lifetime dramas, and I like kaiju, it was a good compromise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 2.294 seconds