October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
12 May 2018 20:57 #273204 by DarthJoJo
I was just thinking that after posting. If it hadn’t been for the high concept and talent in front of the camera, it absolutely would have been a Lifetime movie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2018 22:12 #273206 by Michael Barnes
Ladybird- unwatchable. It’s like an unfunny, self-serious Napoleon Dynamite. With zero charm.

Florida Project- I don’t care for miserable movies about miserable people living miserable lives. What a drag. I did however really like the down and out Orlando motel setting.

Excalibur- NOW WE’RE TALKING. I don’t know if I’ll ever forget being 6 years old and watching that fully armored man wrestling with that lady. I can’t believe my parents took me to see it. But hey, it made a huge impression on me and I’d call it one of the most important movies of my life. I think I have a big percentage of that movie completely memorized. Up until LOTR, it was the best high fantasy movie ever made...ironic since Boorman was set to make LOTR in the 70s and wound up using some of the ideas he had for it in Excalibur.

More
13 May 2018 01:08 - 14 May 2018 19:05 #273209 by Jackwraith
I actually thought The Florida Project was quite well done in terms of showing the real lives of real people on the edge of the fantasy paradise (the scene with the two people from Brazil having ended up in the fleabag motel when they were supposed to be at DISNEY! was great.) But I get how people thought it might be a drag. I was impressed with the fact that both the lead actresses were first-timers, too.

I wanted to watch Lady Bird on our flight back from San Diego, but for some reason none of the "new" movies were functioning on the flight, so I ended up watching Thor: Ragnarok instead. I appreciated the fact that the director took a far more comedic outlook on it to replace some of the heavy-handed sturm und drang that hangs over all Thor stories since Walt Simonson reintroduced the character to its mythical roots. I thought they went a little far with the slapstick routine, but it was fun to watch the fabled Ragnarok take place (even though I'd played it out dozens of times with TSR's old Viking Gods minigame.) I also watched Beatriz at Dinner, because I like both Salma Hayek and John Lithgow but, man, they needed a better writer on that one. There was no real story progression. It was just a bunch of "poignant" scenes pasted together and Lithgow's role was so ham-fisted and stereotypical as to be pointless. He could have been a series of cue cards for Hayek.
Last edit: 14 May 2018 19:05 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
15 May 2018 10:38 #273329 by Black Barney
We're not getting HEREDITARY up here until June 8th but I see it's been released in some places. Anyone see this yet? Looks like it could be a great horror movie. Maybe better than The Conjuring. Haven't had a good horror in some time (I think A Quiet Place is more of a thriller but I guess it's close).

think i'll go see Love, Simon tonight...

More
15 May 2018 13:31 #273347 by Jackwraith
Nope. Haven't seen it. I got all geeked the other day because I thought Black Klansman was about to be released, but I misread the date and it's not 'til August.

More
15 May 2018 15:24 #273359 by SuperflyPete
Mute (Netflix): Really interesting dystopian flick that wasn’t spectacular but the characters were AWESOME.

JUMANJI (with The Rock): I was floored. It was great. Super entertaining. I just wish they’d have foregone the cheap dick jokes because it made me a little uncomfortable watching it with my 9 YO.

Shape of Water: Had no clue that the first 2 minutes would include full frontal nudity and a masturbation scene. Should have guessed because Guillermo. I liked it, wife hated it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
15 May 2018 17:37 #273377 by stormseeker75
Jumanji was so much fun. I really enjoyed it. There's not enough of those pure fun kind of movies out there. I personally thought Jack Black playing a 15-year old girl was great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Sevej, birdman37

More
15 May 2018 19:20 #273390 by Black Barney
Love, Simon wasn’t at all really what the trailer sets you up for. I was expecting a comedy for sure, or something very light

Starts off like Perks of Being a Wallflower, then morphs into You’ve Got Mail, and eventually becomes a pretty effective drama

Really good and unexpected. I gotta sleep on it and I’ll write a review tomorrow.

More
18 May 2018 15:46 #273635 by hotseatgames
I watched the just-released Netflix movie Cargo, in which Martin Freeman tries to get his baby to safety in the Australian outback. The problem is...ZOMBIES.

These days, there are better ways to spend your viewing time. This movie is well done, but depressing as fuck throughout, and unless you want to see Martin Freeman just kill it, which he does, you can give this a pass.

More
24 May 2018 11:06 - 24 May 2018 11:42 #273998 by wkover
I watched Get Out for the second time, which was cool. It was neat to pick out the major and minor details that I missed the first time through.

I also watched Black Panther yesterday, which was decidedly not cool.

*** totally major Black Panther spoilers ahead ***

Warning: Spoiler!

Other stuff: Liked Ladybird and Mr. Right (w/ Sam Rockwell). Didn't care for Florida Project (switched off @ 30 min) or Jumanji. Come to think of it, I can't think of a single Jack Black movie that I've enjoyed. Maybe High Fidelity - before JB was a "star" - and the first Kung Fu Panda?
Last edit: 24 May 2018 11:42 by wkover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
24 May 2018 11:22 #274000 by Gregarius

wkover wrote: I turned off Creed after 20 minutes,

Didn't care for Florida Project (switched off @ 30 min)

I wasn't particularly impressed by Black Panther either, but your inability to finish a whole movie really depreciates the value of your opinions.

More
24 May 2018 11:33 #274001 by wkover

Gregarius wrote:

wkover wrote: I turned off Creed after 20 minutes,

Didn't care for Florida Project (switched off @ 30 min)

I wasn't particularly impressed by Black Panther either, but your inability to finish a whole movie really depreciates the value of your opinions.

God knows how many movies I've watched in my lifetime, but it's tons and tons of them. And I've finished 99.99% of them.

I'm now at the point in my life when I won't waste time on stuff that I don't like. If I'm partway through a book and don't care for it (at all), I'll stop reading. Ditto for movies and TV shows. Though some TV seasons will get better over time, of course. Particularly in year 1.

Turning off movies and closing books is a recent development in my life (started about 2 years ago), but I'm much happier for it. I no longer feel the need to finish just to say that I did. Time is the single most important currency on this planet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
24 May 2018 11:34 #274002 by Gregarius

More
24 May 2018 11:59 - 24 May 2018 12:00 #274003 by wkover
As a side note, my Black Panther post was - I think - my first post in the Movies thread. I was just so intensely disappointed that I wanted to share my thoughts with *someone*. I couldn't bear to tell my kids (who were with me and liked it) how little I enjoyed it.

Anyway, I'm happy to switch the conversation into a more productive direction.

I'm wkover, and I occasionally turn off movies when I think that they suck and have no chance of getting better.

Please prove me wrong. Are there movies that you thought were terrible for 20 minutes, and then miraculously got better to the point where you actually enjoyed them? There are probably a few, but for me they're definitely in the minority.
Last edit: 24 May 2018 12:00 by wkover.

More
24 May 2018 13:22 #274005 by stormseeker75
wkover, I totally agree. Nothing felt like it mattered in that movie. I loved the ending with T'Challa and Shuri. That was a great thing to turn the plotline around. But overall, it felt flat. It's almost like Killmonger didn't matter to the story. I did like the majority of the cast. I liked the scenes in rural Wakanda.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.767 seconds