October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
24 May 2018 14:21 #274008 by Shellhead

stormseeker75 wrote: It's almost like Killmonger didn't matter to the story.

This statement doesn't make any sense to me. One of us apparently watched a different movie. Besides being the main villain of the movie, Killmonger also manages to shame the entire government of Wakanda for having a foreign policy that consists of a.) hiding from the rest of the world and b.) ignoring the stark poverty of the rest of Africa. If you liked the ending, you should acknowledge that T'Challa's new initiative was inspired by Killmonger's criticism. Killmonger falls a bit short of being the moral compass of the movie, due to his brutal and murderous tendencies, but many viewers found him to be a sympathetic and tragic figure. He was also one of the best villains of the MCU that isn't named Loki.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Gregarius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2018 14:38 #274010 by Black Barney

wkover wrote: Are there movies that you thought were terrible for 20 minutes, and then miraculously got better to the point where you actually enjoyed them?

Florida Project. I really despised the first scene of the kids spitting on the car, being obnoxious and then getting into trouble (not really) for it.

But MAN does the movie pick up once it starts to dig into Willem DeFoe's character a bit. And eventually when the mom starts getting more desperate for cash... things get REAL. Oh, and the ending is absolutely unbelievable. So yeah that's a movie that just picks up steam and never lets you off as it goes along.

You should have put the negative view of Black Panther in the review thread! It's good to get opposing opinions so it's sort of a holistic view of the movie for someone that wants to wade through the comments. I don't mind it at all. I think Barnes has posted a contrary opinion to pretty much every review i've ever wrote.

Thinking back on Black Panther, I'm not sure how I feel about that villian. I agree that Serkis was way better and more sinister. I think you might be right that Jordan's acting ability seems to have hard limits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

More
24 May 2018 15:30 #274012 by stormseeker75

Shellhead wrote:

stormseeker75 wrote: It's almost like Killmonger didn't matter to the story.

This statement doesn't make any sense to me. One of us apparently watched a different movie. Besides being the main villain of the movie, Killmonger also manages to shame the entire government of Wakanda for having a foreign policy that consists of a.) hiding from the rest of the world and b.) ignoring the stark poverty of the rest of Africa. If you liked the ending, you should acknowledge that T'Challa's new initiative was inspired by Killmonger's criticism. Killmonger falls a bit short of being the moral compass of the movie, due to his brutal and murderous tendencies, but many viewers found him to be a sympathetic and tragic figure. He was also one of the best villains of the MCU that isn't named Loki.

He didn't really do anything though. I'll give you that his position was the impetus for change. He just felt like it could have been anyone in that position. I guess what I mean is that he didn't have weight as a key figure, like he was interchangeable with anyone else in that same position. He felt bolted on.

More
24 May 2018 15:42 #274014 by Jackwraith
I thought Killmonger felt like one of the few realistic villains that the MCU has produced. He was far more believable than the cackling weapons dealer that Serkis played. Here was a kid with both a personal AND political motivation behind his actions and not one that was just attached to destroying things. His idea was actually rooted in the concept of moving Wakanda into what he thought was its proper place in the world and part of that was dispensing with the old traditions that he thought were inhibiting it (like the flower garden with the panther herb; how is it in hundreds, if not thousands, of years of a society with enough technology to repair a human spine overnight, no one thought it might be a good idea to both protect the original source and synthesize a replacement? But, then again, this is still a hereditary monarchy that transfers power through ritual combat, so... I hope you can see my point.)

Michael B. Jordan was the most interesting person on the screen almost every moment that he was on it. This was someone with genuine motivation rooted in reason for his occasionally destructive behavior, not another Sauron ("I am EVIL! No real reason. I'm just EVIL!!!") The real downside to him being removed in the first film is that he was so interesting and now they'll have to bring him back as some kind of cyber-rhino something or other or, even worse, convert him to an anti-hero so he can go on being cool but, y'know, grudgingly help T'Challa this time. There was a lot more to get into with Killmonger's character and it could have been done in this film if not for the prerequisite last third that always has to be filled with explosions and as little actual blood as possible. MCU audience and all that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax

More
24 May 2018 16:04 #274015 by stormseeker75
Fair enough. I'm glad you guys liked it. I was not a fan. It just all felt fluffy to me.

More
24 May 2018 17:57 - 24 May 2018 19:06 #274020 by wkover

Jackwraith wrote: Michael B. Jordan was the most interesting person on the screen almost every moment that he was on it.

I would have liked Black Panther more if the actors playing Killmonger (MBJ) and the Mountain tribe leader ( Winston Smith ) had switched roles. I realize this is a personal thing, but I found Mr. Smith to be far more engaging. Prolly didn't have the abs to pull off the physical aspect of the role, though.
Last edit: 24 May 2018 19:06 by wkover.

More
24 May 2018 18:33 #274021 by ChristopherMD
M'Baku, the mountain king, was easily my favorite character. I was honestly hoping T'Challa would give him the crown at the end and just be Black Panther.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover, Black Barney

More
24 May 2018 19:18 #274023 by Gary Sax
No hate, but man, I love Michael B. Jordan (since his Wire days!). Definitely don't think he's a bad actor!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
24 May 2018 20:17 - 25 May 2018 09:53 #274024 by Disgustipater
My wife and I recently watched Black Panther and we both found it boring and felt very long.

Deadpool 2 was good, but I felt it was not as good as the first.
Last edit: 25 May 2018 09:53 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JMcL63

More
24 May 2018 22:50 #274028 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote: No hate, but man, I love Michael B. Jordan (since his Wire days!). Definitely don't think he's a bad actor!

Yeah, he was great as Wallace. Jordan strikes me as a very good actor within a limited range.

More
24 May 2018 22:52 #274029 by Jackwraith

Gary Sax wrote: No hate, but man, I love Michael B. Jordan (since his Wire days!). Definitely don't think he's a bad actor!

Same. This was my review of BP when I saw it in the theater: dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/2018/02/aiming-high.html

More
24 May 2018 22:53 #274030 by Shellhead

ChristopherMD wrote: M'Baku, the mountain king, was easily my favorite character. I was honestly hoping T'Challa would give him the crown at the end and just be Black Panther.

In the comics, M'Baku was originally a fairly standard silver age villain known unfortunately as Man-Ape. Fortunately, Priest gave him some greater depth as a character during his classic BP run that started in the late '90s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover, ChristopherMD

More
25 May 2018 09:06 #274039 by JMcL63

Disgustipater wrote: My wife I am recently watched Black Panther and we both found it boring and felt very long.

That was my take on BP too. Definitely one where I missed the hype train.

More
25 May 2018 09:17 #274042 by Black Barney

More
25 May 2018 09:25 #274043 by JMcL63
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.552 seconds