October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
11 Jun 2018 09:02 - 11 Jun 2018 09:03 #275086 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: Just watched Blade Runner 2049 for the second time. It’s as awesome as I recall. Just a gorgeous film.

I just saw it for the first time tonight on HBO.

The pacing is much better than the original, I believe.

The tone and style, seemed like a slightly updated, and only slightly less darker in light.

Very good. I'm sad I missed it in theaters. Very worthy of the praise I saw heaped upon it.

I was skeptical when I went into the theater, but Blade Runner 2049 blew me away. The pacing is definitely better than the original, and it is a very worthy successor. 2049 might even be better than the original.

You can't compare the pacing of a film from 1982 to one from 2017. The medium went through a revolutionary change in the intervening years. My kids find Raiders of the Lost Ark slow.

Blade Runner has more in common from a movie-tech perspective with The Maltese Falcon than it does 2049.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2018 09:03 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2018 13:27 #275104 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Watched a couple of indie favourites yesterday. Donnie Darko is such a nice little film, and on reflection it is not a surprise that Richard Kelly never achieved anything else like it. It relies on one great concept and inspiration like that only hits rarely.

On the other hand, Hal Hartley was able to do his thing multiple times, but my favourite of all is Trust, the tale of two troubled people finding love. I was quite apprehensive how this would hold up nearly 30 years after it was made as it was one of my favourite movies in the 90s and if there was ever a movie character I wanted to be most in my late teens it was Matthew Slaughter from Trust. There were a couple of moments that probably pushed the envelope and made me a bit uncomfortable, but none of the stuff that used to appear in older films that was romantic at the time but now comes across as stalking or rape. In particular there was one scene where Matthew hit a few people in a bar for no reason that made him come across as a jerk but apart from that one scene everything was just as I loved it and it still remains my favourite indie film of all time. There are so many wonderful quotes, and so much wonderful discussion.

The thing that hit me while I was watching it was the fact that a few times recently on my facebook feed I have seen a discussion of how people in real life who 'call it like it is' just use their brutal honesty as an excuse to be jerks and never use brutal honesty to compliment and build up other people, so in fact they are just jerks. However I think Matthew actually does this, helping Maria become a better person.

More
11 Jun 2018 14:22 #275109 by Shellhead

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: Watched a couple of indie favourites yesterday. Donnie Darko is such a nice little film, and on reflection it is not a surprise that Richard Kelly never achieved anything else like it. It relies on one great concept and inspiration like that only hits rarely.

I almost love Donnie Darko, and I have seen it ten times now. (Nearly all viewings took place during an October.) Everything is great except for the metaphysical stuff, which seems awkwardly grafted onto the rest of the movie. I watched the Director's Cut once, and that was not as enjoyable.

More
12 Jun 2018 00:43 - 12 Jun 2018 01:20 #275165 by Grudunza

charlest wrote: Hereditary was great and very disturbing. Still honestly having a little trouble sleeping at night a couple of days later. I wouldn't be surprised to see Collette get some Oscar attention for this role. It was also nice seeing Gabriel Byrne in something.

Yeah, it was delightfully disturbing. Reminded me somewhat of The VVitch, with its family dynamic themes and the way the ending commits itself hard to the premise. I thought the boy’s performance was also a standout, and Ann Dowd is killing it in everything she’s in.

I recommend watching videos of puppies and bunnies after seeing this.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2018 01:20 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, charlest

More
15 Jun 2018 18:26 - 15 Jun 2018 18:43 #275504 by Grudunza
Incredibles 2 felt a bit “more of the same.” And on the one hand that’s great. More of what was great in the original is more “great.” I enjoyed it and was glad to see these characters in another adventure. But other than some fun stuff with Jack-Jack and a few moments here and there, it didn’t feel very fresh to me. And the family stuff is good, but again, that was really good in the original, and felt much more fresh the first time around.

I question the choice to pick up exactly where the last one left off. Seems like some more fertile ground could have been explored by advancing the family ahead several years. As it is, we get essentially the same story as the first one, about the nature of being superheroes when that’s outlawed, and about coming together as a family to save the day.

After hearing several raves about Paddington 2, here and elsewhere, I finally watched it a few days ago. I kept thinking eh, okay, whatever… Paddington is cute, sure… I suppose I’ll try to catch that at some point.

But wow. BELIEVE THE HYPE. I was OD’ing on its charm and whimsy. So inventive, and consistently engaging and entertaining, with scene after scene of clever and fun shots and sequences. Hugh Grant and Brendan Gleeson are incredible (that first pivotal moment with Brendan Gleeson’s character had me rolling), and everyone in the cast has solid moments. One of the best family movies ever. And now I suppose I need to watch the first one, eh? Have you seen that, Barney? I’ve heard this second one is better, but still, if the first is half as charming and fun, that’ll be worth seeing. (Edit: I just saw where Barnes said the first one is great, so yeah, I’m on that tonight.)
Last edit: 15 Jun 2018 18:43 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
15 Jun 2018 21:43 #275508 by Black Barney
I started reading your take on Paddington 2 and got super worried you weren’t impressed which would have shocked me. It’s still the best movie I’ve seen this year (Solo being the worst so far and it wasn’t even bad or anything). I haven’t seen the first Paddington although I hear it’s good

But yeah Paddington 2 was shockingly effective. So many absolutely perfect scenes. I’m smiling the entire time. How about the underwater scene with Sally Hawkins? I was stunned how affected I was.

A mastahpeece
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
16 Jun 2018 12:36 #275543 by BaronDonut

Grudunza wrote: I recommend watching videos of puppies and bunnies after seeing this.

Hoo boy, finally got to see this one--it did not disappoint. It was both joyously inventive and outrageously distressing. I read some spot-on reviews that posit that the movie both engages in emotional terrorism and breaks fundamental agreements between filmmaker and audience regarding what is and isn't "allowed."

That said, after the bleakest first hour I can imagine, the movie shifts to a more classic, visceral mode that I found to be pretty cathartic. I would absolutely recommend it, but I'm not sure if I can watch it again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Black Barney, Disgustipater

More
16 Jun 2018 12:44 #275544 by BaronDonut
Also, Colin Stetson's soundtrack is phenomenal. Especially this tune from the last scene:

More
22 Jun 2018 00:58 #275990 by Cranberries
I just watched Hell or High Water after picking the DVD from the $5 bin at Walmart. It would have been nice to have seen it on the big screen, except for some of the violence. Good show.

More
22 Jun 2018 08:45 - 22 Jun 2018 08:46 #276003 by charlest
Hell or High Water is good, Ben Foster is underrated.

Watched Hostiles, a recent Christian Bale western that was just alright.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2018 08:46 by charlest.

More
22 Jun 2018 10:43 - 22 Jun 2018 10:47 #276020 by Colorcrayons
Conan the barbarian last night.

Widescreen format DVD on a 1080p flat screen using a PS4 to power it.

I don't recall this movie looking this shitty. I have VHS tapes that honestly look better on this TV.

Anyways, the pacing was predictably slow, but since it's been a decade since I last saw it, I was kind if shocked how slow it was. It was always a slog to get to the good parts when I was a kid.

I think it's still a decent movie, but I do wonder how my 10 year old self was able to sit through it, let alone be one of my faves as a kid.

It's all worth it to hear James Earl Jones speak the lines:
"Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe. Crucify him."

Last edit: 22 Jun 2018 10:47 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, hotseatgames

More
22 Jun 2018 18:52 #276046 by Gary Sax
I adore that horrible fake hair on JEJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: rog5, Colorcrayons

More
24 Jun 2018 23:26 - 24 Jun 2018 23:27 #276114 by Gary Sax
I flew back from Europe today so I watched a bunch of movies. Only one of note was Justice League, which is truly one of the most miserable films I've seen in years. I skipped all the other DC movies so I was *stunned* at how bad it was. It's not fun bad either. Completely unenjoyable and sad to watch. I could rant specifics forever.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2018 23:27 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
25 Jun 2018 09:21 #276137 by Shellhead
Movie trailers in the theater are really long these days. It surprises me how many people will watch a long trailer for a bad movie and then go see it anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Jun 2018 11:01 #276152 by Black Barney
I think most people just want to watch movies as an activity and don’t really care how good it is, they just want entertainment.

Think Of how most people watch tv

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.731 seconds