October 09, 2023
2509 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2707 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
29 Jul 2018 00:22 #278670 by Disgustipater
We were going to go see Mission Impossible: Fallout, but due to Moviepass basically becoming insolvent , they didn't allow anyone to get MI:F tickets through the program. So we saw Ant-Man and The Wasp instead. Even then we had some issues with my wife's account being weird and not letting her check in for any movie, so after about 15 minutes of waiting on a response from their CS chat (also 15 minutes after the movie started) with no response, she cancelled her account. Seems like every time we use it now there is some issue. I still have mine because I got one of the cheaper annual plans back when they offered it, and it doesn't expire until September. Luckily that isn't too far away since it doesn't seem like MoviePass is going to make it much longer. I think I will speed along their demise by getting a ticket to a random movie every time I pass the theater and not even watch it just to rack up points on my Regal card before I cancel MoviePass in September. It was (mostly) good while it lasted.

Anyway, the movie was good. The mid-credits scene did make me say "Oh shit!" out loud.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2018 21:53 #278701 by BaronDonut
Just got out of Sorry to Bother You and my head is still reeling. Easily the best movie of the year so far, in terms of both political brashness and sheer mindmelting imagination.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, GorillaGrody

More
30 Jul 2018 03:15 #278710 by Cranberries
I just saw Gran Torino for the first time. Wow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
30 Jul 2018 08:08 #278717 by Black Barney
Yeah that’s a fun one. I like how he portrays his own kids in that one

I took my mom and stepdad to tour a home a month ago and took careful notes from Gran Torino about how to not do it :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
30 Jul 2018 08:38 #278720 by charlest

Disgustipater wrote: We were going to go see Mission Impossible: Fallout, but due to Moviepass basically becoming insolvent , they didn't allow anyone to get MI:F tickets through the program.

Same issue and cancelled mine Friday night in frustration. We saw Mission Impossible anyway (paying for it) and enjoyed it very much. It may be the best MI yet.

More
30 Jul 2018 11:10 - 30 Jul 2018 11:10 #278745 by Black Barney
Sounds like the new Mission Impossible is amazing, I just can't figure out why it's 2.5 hours long. Anyway, it's #3 on my list of movies to see right now so I really hope I get around to it. I have to. There's so much playing right now and guilty pleasure film, The Meg, is coming out soon which will be hard to resist even if it's terrible

Was it here that someone talked about LEAVE NO TRACE? I absolutely have to see that.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2018 11:10 by Black Barney.

More
30 Jul 2018 15:20 #278765 by Gregarius

charlest wrote:

Disgustipater wrote: We were going to go see Mission Impossible: Fallout, but due to Moviepass basically becoming insolvent , they didn't allow anyone to get MI:F tickets through the program.

Same issue and cancelled mine Friday night in frustration. We saw Mission Impossible anyway (paying for it) and enjoyed it very much. It may be the best MI yet.

Similar-- I couldn't use MoviePass to see MI: Fallout, but paid to see it anyway. I'm not cancelling yet, though. I'm gonna ride this thing as long as I possibly can.

I liked it quite a bit, but for some reason it just didn't resonate with me. This will sound stupid, but it's almost as if it had *too much* action. I kinda preferred the MI films where there was some intrigue and spy stuff, instead of just wall to wall action scenes. That being said, the action scenes were really good.

More
30 Jul 2018 15:21 #278766 by Gregarius

Black Barney wrote: Was it here that someone talked about LEAVE NO TRACE? I absolutely have to see that.

That was me. Yes, you have to see it-- if for no other reason than just so I'll have someone to talk to about it.

More
30 Jul 2018 15:25 #278767 by charlest

Gregarius wrote: I liked it quite a bit, but for some reason it just didn't resonate with me. This will sound stupid, but it's almost as if it had *too much* action. I kinda preferred the MI films where there was some intrigue and spy stuff, instead of just wall to wall action scenes. That being said, the action scenes were really good.

I think that's very fair - I've been kind of disillusioned with the story in previous MI films and was pleasantly surprised to find this one containing mostly balls to the wall action. That motorcycle chase was spectacular for instance.

More
30 Jul 2018 17:28 #278773 by Jackwraith

BaronDonut wrote: Just got out of Sorry to Bother You and my head is still reeling. Easily the best movie of the year so far, in terms of both political brashness and sheer mindmelting imagination.

Thought it was well done, too: dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/2018/07/not-sorry.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: BaronDonut

More
30 Jul 2018 17:39 - 30 Jul 2018 17:44 #278775 by Black Barney
Ok Greg I saw it. I usually always see things you and Grud point me to

Let me write a review first tomorrow morning after I sleep on it. I already decided the ratings (heart was easy, brain was tough), I just need to think about what to talk about. I was pretty floored by it. The ending was really strong but I think could have been epic with one small change :(

The performances are Unreal though, you think the girl might get a nomination? If they put her as Supporting I’m gonna get angry

Thanks for talking about it and getting it on my radar. Post your thoughts to the review thread after I post and then we can be the only two people to probably end up talking about it.

Oh and i gotta put what this person said coming out of the theatre
Last edit: 30 Jul 2018 17:44 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
30 Jul 2018 21:21 - 30 Jul 2018 21:21 #278796 by Disgustipater

Gregarius wrote: Similar-- I couldn't use MoviePass to see MI: Fallout, but paid to see it anyway. I'm not cancelling yet, though. I'm gonna ride this thing as long as I possibly can.

It's been reported that going forward, MoviePass wont allow access to any "major releases." Also, all showings in all theaters near me have been locked out today (a lot of other people are saying the same thing). I wonder if it is a glitch, or they needed a financial breather. Or maybe they're dead.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2018 21:21 by Disgustipater.

More
01 Aug 2018 17:36 #278923 by Black Barney

Gregarius wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Was it here that someone talked about LEAVE NO TRACE? I absolutely have to see that.

That was me. Yes, you have to see it-- if for no other reason than just so I'll have someone to talk to about it.

Ok Greg I posted the review. Come and have at me, bro

I shared it on the Facebook and no one has seen it (can’t believe it) so I need someone to talk to about it as well

That new actress is the real deal

More
03 Aug 2018 19:29 #279153 by GorillaGrody

BaronDonut wrote: Just got out of Sorry to Bother You and my head is still reeling. Easily the best movie of the year so far, in terms of both political brashness and sheer mindmelting imagination.

There’s a special place in hell for reviewers who think Sorry To Bother You was “slipshod and unrealistic.” Between this and Leave No Trace, a few movies are finally starting to get what it feels like to be an employee in America in 2018.

More
04 Aug 2018 18:34 #279203 by Cranberries

charlest wrote:

Gregarius wrote: I liked it quite a bit, but for some reason it just didn't resonate with me. This will sound stupid, but it's almost as if it had *too much* action. I kinda preferred the MI films where there was some intrigue and spy stuff, instead of just wall to wall action scenes. That being said, the action scenes were really good.

I think that's very fair - I've been kind of disillusioned with the story in previous MI films and was pleasantly surprised to find this one containing mostly balls to the wall action. That motorcycle chase was spectacular for instance.

I've watched way to much behind-the-scenes footage of this movie. I'm like a 1960s Russian reading Pravda and believing every word. But according to Youtube, the rig Cruise was wearing for the motorcycle scene wasn't working properly or something, so he just told them to film him and took off without a helmet. Regardless of his crazy, the guy reminds of Putin propaganda videos, except he actually flies the helicopter, rides the motorcycle, etc. Cruise 2020.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.532 seconds