October 09, 2023
2423 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2632 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
10 Sep 2018 13:39 #281389 by Shellhead
It has been a long time since I read High Fidelity, by Nick Hornsby, but it really connected with me. The book came out in 1995, and my peak random dating years were 1994 - 1996, so I could totally relate to the humor and sadness of the various breakup experiences. And the music, definitely the music that the main characters were talking about. But I never got around to seeing the movie, until now.

High Fidelity could be described as an anti-RomCom. The typical RomCom follows a specific Hollywood 3-act structure: boy meets girl, complication, happily ever after. High Fidelity starts out with a break-up, and then goes back and forth between looking at the protagonist's past breakups and dealing with the aftermath of his current breakup. John Cusack plays the jerky ex-boyfriend who obsessively analyzes his past and recent dating mistakes, and manages to learn from those mistakes. He owns a record store, so there quite a few scenes where he is hanging out with his two employees while talking about music. The rest of the cast is fairly impressive, including Jack Black, Lisa Bonet, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Lili Taylor, and Tim Robbins. Iben Hjejle does a fine job as the ex-girlfriend, and apparently never again shows up in American movies because she is happily successful in Europe. Jack Black would have been better on a shorter leash, but at least he doesn't ruin the overall tone of the movie.

Offhand, I can't think of a previous occasion when I saw a movie at just the right moment in my life. High Fidelity is a good, though not great movie, but yesterday it was perfect for me. My girlfriend of the last 15 years decided last week to end our relationship, though it will probably take her another two weeks to move her stuff out of my house. I don't expect that my life will magically conform to the plot of High Fidelity, but it gave me a lot to think about, at a safe distance from my own life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney, hotseatgames, Nodens, BillyBobThwarton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2018 15:41 #281400 by Gregarius
I'm very sorry for the experience you're going through, Shell.

More
10 Sep 2018 15:44 #281401 by Black Barney
Sorry to hear it, Shell. And sorry such a mediocre movie had to mark the occasion. If ever you want to talk, even just to talk (that always helped for me), shoot me a PM. love ya

More
11 Sep 2018 16:58 #281452 by ChristopherMD
Solo felt like watching an imitation/knock-off Star Wars movie with a few bits of fan-service thrown in for legitimacy. I will add this to the prequel trilogy as something that doesn't exist in my head-canon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, Black Barney, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
11 Sep 2018 17:15 #281455 by Black Barney
I was honestly jsut talking about this movie last night with my buddy bartender and we were both laughing how much better and "fock-you" it would have been if they blew up the Falcon at the end of the movie for no reason whatsoever. lol, screw you fan boys
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
11 Sep 2018 17:29 #281456 by ubarose
Saw The Nun this weekend. It was spooky, but didn't get a scream out of anyone in the audience. The Spawn says she thinks it is the best out of the Conjuring series, but I don't know about that. The last one yanked three screams out of me, so I give it extra points for that.

More
11 Sep 2018 17:37 #281458 by Shellhead

ChristopherMD wrote: Solo felt like watching an imitation/knock-off Star Wars movie with a few bits of fan-service thrown in for legitimacy. I will add this to the prequel trilogy as something that doesn't exist in my head-canon.

I haven't seen Solo, but I think that the studio should have used my idea: go totally grindhouse. Low budget, bad stuntwork, and both dialogue and wardrobe straight outta the '70s. Let Tarantino write it, n-word and all.

More
11 Sep 2018 22:43 #281465 by Shellhead
I have mixed feelings about Get Out. Jordan Peele did a solid job with the screenplay and direction. It's refreshing to see a decent implementation of a new idea, especially at a time when we are getting so many sequels and remakes on the big screen. But the acting ranges from bad to just okay. The story plays very fair with the viewers, to the point where almost nothing that happened in the second half of the movie surprised me because it was all set up clearly in the first half. I do think the movie did a decent job of showing us white folks how it feels to be a minority in an uncomfortable situation. That's important, because we are approaching a time where everybody in America will be a minority, even white people.

More
12 Sep 2018 07:56 #281466 by hotseatgames
High Fidelity is a great film. I have watched it several times, although it's been a while.

More
12 Sep 2018 09:13 #281472 by Sagrilarus

Black Barney wrote: I was honestly jsut talking about this movie last night with my buddy bartender and we were both laughing how much better and "fock-you" it would have been if they blew up the Falcon at the end of the movie for no reason whatsoever. lol, screw you fan boys

There would have been real beauty to doing that, and then having Lucas re-edit the original films to have "Millennium Falcon 2" painted on the side of the ship.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
12 Sep 2018 13:44 - 13 Sep 2018 09:50 #281498 by Gary Sax
High Fidelity is good enough that it reads very differently every time I watch it every few years. Now that I'm in my late 30s, it reads like an accurate portrait of a shitty, selfish educated dude's love life. There's so many little details where you can see that the whole picture you're getting is carefully authored to make himself look better. My favorite is the scene where he's talking about how her friend disclosed three things to her, one being that he straight up cheated on her. He just sort of skims by that one, undoubtedly this deep shattering betrayal, and goes on and on about the other two that have better explanations (e.g. not knowing about the pregnancy). Which is just perfect; exactly the sort of thing I would have done in my 20s while keeping my self-centered, self-righteous narrative of victimization going.

Then it ends on the "positive" of him being able to not cheat on her when a woman flirts with him. Which is bang on "praise me for being a not completely odious partner." Like pathetic bare minimum stuff.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2018 09:50 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
12 Sep 2018 14:35 #281505 by hotseatgames
My favorite scene is when Jack Black sings about "the night Laura's daddy died"

More
12 Sep 2018 21:11 #281511 by Ancient_of_MuMu
For some reason I have been watching all the humans hunting humans movies I could find. And I am surprisingly specific about this. This is not the genre of Hunger Games/Battle Royale where multiple people battle to the death, or the Duel/Hitcher style where someone is tormented by a psycho. No, it pretty much must involve some rich weirdo bored with hunting regular game, and start yearning for the most dangerous game.

The Most Dangerous Game - The original and still a lot of fun. I was watching and thinking that the jungle sets reminded me of the original King Kong, and lo and behold they were the exact same sets.
The Naked Prey - Probably the most unique of these. There was something a bit cringeworthy about it, probably the racial politics, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I think this has my favourite ending of all these films, and the death that has stuck with me the most (the clay cooking death for anyone curious).
Bloodlust! - I have the MST3K version of this, and it is always good for a laugh.
Southern Comfort - An odd film that doesn't quite know what it wants to be. Part Vietnam war film, part Deliverance and in the end not really anything, and I am not even sure if it belongs in my official definition of the genre.
Turkey Shoot - If I was going to recommend one of these to an Ameritrasher, it would be this one. Glorious 80s trash.
The Running Man - I think everyone has seen this and knows the score. Standard Arnie fare.
Surviving the Game - The cast is full of Hollywood B-Listers, but I think the fact that I have never liked Ice-T knocks this one down a notch. This is the one I would least recommend, as there is nothing really unique and interesting to it.
Hard Target - John Woo and Van Damme. This has always been one of my guilty pleasures, and watching it again was the first time I realized that one of the bad guys was The Mummy.
Beyond the Reach - An attempt at a more Arthouse version of the genre, and almost pulls it off, but in the end is just a standard forgettable action/drama.

(I have also watched Duel, The Hitcher, Race with the Devil and Series 7: The Contenders in the last few weeks but on reflection they didn't fit my official criteria).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
12 Sep 2018 22:53 - 12 Sep 2018 22:57 #281516 by Black Barney
Good on you for not including that Purge poopoo

I remember seeing Series 7: The Contenders in theatres but I can’t remember if it was any good

It was like a reality show
Last edit: 12 Sep 2018 22:57 by Black Barney.

More
12 Sep 2018 23:19 #281517 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Black Barney wrote: Good on you for not including that Purge poopoo

I remember seeing Series 7: The Contenders in theatres but I can’t remember if it was any good

It was like a reality show

It is a parody of reality shows and I watched it back in the day and thought that it was weak, but on my recent watching it is at least a 7. It is not brilliant, but it does a good job for a black comedy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.807 seconds