October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
08 Oct 2018 09:04 - 08 Oct 2018 09:15 #282827 by Mr. White
I've watched nothing lately...

Between Netflix, Hulu, and Prime (as well as all of their original shows and movies)...I end up unable to decide. It's too much for me. Plenty looks good. Too much. So I'm indecisive...and pass. Usually end up putting back on Detectorists or a John Carpenter film and go paint.

Maybe I should cut 2 of the 3 services?

I wonder if I would have ever had the pleasure of catching fantastic, low grade fare like Near Dark in this current age? I suppose when there were only 3 movie options (HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime) at a given time it was much easier to decide and settle down. I'm sure there are great flicks like that currently available...but I simply seem unable to commit to one.

I have no idea how you folks do it, but enjoy.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2018 09:15 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2018 09:23 #282831 by Black Barney
Going to go and see Luis and the Aliens in an hour with Emily. There’s just no way that’s going to be any good

Rewatched most of Force Awakens last night for the 2nd or 3rd time. In a universe where the technology to destroy entire planets exists, I think you’re safer just living in space

More
08 Oct 2018 09:38 - 08 Oct 2018 09:38 #282835 by Mr. White

Black Barney wrote: Going to go and see Luis and the Aliens in an hour with Emily. There’s just no way that’s going to be any good

Dude...then why go see it? Surely there's something else to do.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2018 09:38 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Oct 2018 10:43 - 08 Oct 2018 10:44 #282842 by Jexik
Saw Blade again. Still enjoy it. It feels like an aesthetic prequel to The Matrix. There's even a shot where Blade fires a bullet at Frost that goes slow, but not quite to the slowness of the bullet time used by the Wachowskis. I also noticed that there were a lot of Asian vampires standing up to test their Kung Fu against him.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2018 10:44 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
08 Oct 2018 13:53 #282849 by Black Barney

Mr. White wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Going to go and see Luis and the Aliens in an hour with Emily. There’s just no way that’s going to be any good

Dude...then why go see it? Surely there's something else to do.

Emily wanted to see a movie and this was the only kids movie playing we haven’t seen. She really liked it so there’s that. It was actually ally better than I was expecting. The first half is absolute trash but the 2nd half goes all Men in Black and is kind of fun. The voice acting is all over the place. The supporting cast are all good but the mains are terrible.

More
08 Oct 2018 17:15 #282855 by Shellhead
I'm a fan of Edgar Wright's work but I only just now saw Baby Driver. I knew the basic premise, that the main character is a getaway driver, the jobs escalate in intensity, and there is a great soundtrack. That's bang on, but the movie is even better than I expected. There's a decent romantic subplot, and some fun surprises. I've never seen star Ansel Elgort in anything before, but he strikes me as an okay actor who was perfectly cast for this part. The supporting cast contains higher profile names, like Kevin Spacey, Jamie Foxx, and Jon Hamm, and they all deliver fine performances. The story moves along at a nice pace with expertly deployed music, though at the risk of forfeiting my F:AT card, there was a little too much action near the end. Although Wright sometimes fails to stick his landings, this movie ended decently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

More
11 Oct 2018 12:10 - 11 Oct 2018 12:11 #282980 by SebastianBludd
In a struggle to think of age-appropriate scary movies for my daughter, I remembered the Addams Family movies. I've seen the sequel several times, but I realized that I've never seen the first movie straight through, so when we finally watched it I was stunned at how good Raul Julia was in it. He captured the playful menace and hyperbolic sensuality of the character in a pitch-perfect performance that constantly threatens to go off the rails but never does. Anjelica Houston's subtlety is the perfect counterpart to Julia, and their chemistry is so good that I found their mutual affection more affecting than campy. It's strange to say about this TV-show-turned-movie, but it was nice to see a mutually-devoted couple in a film without some bullshit contrivances in the script to make them fight or hate each other until the third act. It is odd, however, that both Addams Family films revolve around con artists trying to take advantage of them.

I watched Nothing But Trouble for the first time and yes, I knew it would be bad, but saying it's bad doesn't even come close to describing the experience of watching it. There were so many confounding decisions made in the film by Dan Aykroyd that for the majority of the running time I was too befuddled to be repulsed or annoyed by what was happening. Well, there were a few times where my brain made room to be both befuddled and repulsed, like when the judge character was eating the hot dog or any time when Bobo and 'Lil Debil were onscreen.

It's the perfect movie for hanging out and making fun of with friends because there are so many weird details in the movie that it never falls into the bad movie trap of being outright dull. Honestly, the weird/gross stuff didn't bother me but Chevy Chase and Demi Moore were one of the worst parts of the movie; they were terrible and they had zero chemistry. It's worth seeing once since it's so strange and you'll rarely be bored but you should make sure you're in the mood for it because it's too odd for a casual watch.

A couple nights ago was Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight with my sons and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it's held up. Billy Zane hams it up and has loads of charisma as the villain, I always like William Sadler, and Jada Pinkett was... adequate. It's as close a translation of the TV show to screen as one could ask for (Bordello of Blood? What's that? Never heard of it...), right down to the gratuitous sex and nudity (though, thankfully, most of it's front-loaded in the script so it's not in the way when the plot kicks into high gear).

The plot is Biblical in nature but there weren't any portentous monologues by a fallen angle about the nature of good and evil, why he/she lost their faith, etc. No, this is the TftC experience so that means demons attacking, a dash of sex and nudity, plenty of dark humor, and some wicked gore effects. It came out in 1995, well before directors started over-using CGI to ruin horror films, so almost all the effects are practical and the creature designs are memorable. The backstory wasn't bad, either, and it was a cut above your typical TftC plot. It's definitely worth checking out if you're in the mood for something pulpy and trashy (yet competent), and at a running time of less than 90 min. (I think, but I'm almost certain it is after credits and both Crypt Keeper segments are subtracted from the runtime) it never outstays its welcome.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2018 12:11 by SebastianBludd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
11 Oct 2018 12:23 #282981 by Black Barney
Yeah Bordello of Blood is terrible and doesn't hold up at all. I would imagine Demon Knight would still be good largely because of Zane. I forget who the protagonist was in that one, but it was fun how the beginning of the movie tries to trick you into thinking which one is good and which is bad.

More
11 Oct 2018 12:29 #282982 by hotseatgames
I just watched Game Night, which is on HBO right now. What an unexpected delight this film is! The setup is that Jason Bateman has a group of friends that gets together for game night. They play lame party stuff like Jenga or charades, but that is beside the point. His brother, Kyle Chandler of Bloodline (which remains the best thing Netflix has ever put out), stages a kidnapping game one night.

Shit goes awry.

Watch this movie. And fast-forward through all of the credits.

More
11 Oct 2018 13:41 - 11 Oct 2018 13:41 #282984 by Michael Barnes
FYI- Ansel Elgort, before he became Baby Driver, won a couple of Golden Demons. Big Warhammer painter.

Nothing But Trouble...wow. That is scraping the bottom of the barrel. I saw it in the theater.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2018 13:41 by Michael Barnes.

More
12 Oct 2018 02:58 #283004 by WadeMonnig
Ant man and the wasp: Marvel needs to get Edgar Wright on the phone and apologize to him. (If this is what they do without him writing and mostly directing the first movie) comedic beats are off, it's obvious where ad libs were inserted, etc... Almost forgot what a truly off Marvel movie looks like. If Guardians vol 3 gets this treatment, look out.(On a James Gunn note, I bet he will rock Suicide Squad if they give him free reign).

More
12 Oct 2018 22:04 #283030 by Grudunza

Gary Sax wrote: I saw a preview of Bad Times at the El Royale which is very much a single location, tense conversations and shocking action Tarantino thing. It was ok, if you're bored it's worth a watch. It's just that the dialog wasn't as good as a better Tarantino, the movie was too long which is killer for this style film, and it just didn't build the tension as high as it needed to be.

Funny to see Thor as Charles Manson standin though.

Saw this tonight. Man, that first 2/3 or so is really great, I thought. And then the last 1/3 is really not great. Too bad. Still, it was fun enough. Just wish it had stuck the landing a lot better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
12 Oct 2018 23:40 #283033 by Black Barney

More
14 Oct 2018 18:40 - 15 Oct 2018 10:10 #283079 by hotseatgames
I saw two movies that were new to me this weekend...first was Greatest Showman. This movie was decent, but I didn't like it nearly as well as I liked La La Land. Hugh Jackman, however is a treasure. All of the CG is regrettable.

Next was Baby Driver. I went into this thinking I'd love it, based on the praise it has received here and elsewhere. I did not love it. I liked it though... unfortunately for it, the best scene is the first one, and it's downhill from there. Many aspects of the script did not ring true for me, particularly with regards to the actions of Kevin Spacey's character. I'm also not convinced that he was the best choice for that role. I would have liked to have seen Sam Elliott, personally.

I will say that it's worth watching for the stunt driving alone.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2018 10:10 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
15 Oct 2018 14:03 #283106 by Black Barney

hotseatgames wrote:
I will say that it's worth watching for the stunt driving alone.

worth watching for the STUNT DRIVING?!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.640 seconds