October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
15 Nov 2018 17:02 - 15 Nov 2018 17:04 #286220 by Grudunza
Overlord is probably exactly what you want from a Nazis making zombies flick. Wolfenstein: The Movie, almost. Check your brain and go with it and it’s quite good in terms of action and peril and horror. Some real intensity and horrific abomination imagery.

But for a couple of leaps in credulity (e.g., how the protagonist survives one particular event), I also really liked Alpha. A must if you’re a dog lover. And if you’re not a dog lover, what the hell.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2018 17:04 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Brewmiester, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2018 08:52 #286243 by WadeMonnig
I'm a sucker for time travel movies but wow, Time Freak is a complete and utter surprise in how fantastic it is. It's up there with predestination but for altogether different reasons. I'm going to have to look for the short film that it's sort of based on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic, Nodens

More
16 Nov 2018 09:20 #286247 by Jackwraith
In a way, I've still never seen a better time travel movie than Time After Time. HG Wells (Malcolm McDowell) chases Jack the Ripper (David Warner) to the 1970s. Too much fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
17 Nov 2018 15:22 - 17 Nov 2018 15:24 #286325 by repoman
Took The Boy® (the grandson) to see The Grinch which is, of course the latest incarnation of Seuss' classic Christmas parable.

The animation is pretty good but it's one of those things that you can opt to pay an extra $10 to see it in 3D and I haven't seen more pandering to the 3D gimmick since Dr. Tongue's 3D House of Stewardesses on Monster Chiller Horror Theater.

The story itself has been bastardized of course. From a simple tale illustrating that the true nature of Christmas is in love and fellowship and not in ostentatious display and consumerism we have a some what muddled message where the Grinch is attempting to enact vengeance for his own neglect when he was a child Grinch at the Grinch orphanage? And Cindy Lou goes from the embodiment of sweet childish innocence to a precocious and risk taking girl who wishes for Santa to do something for her overworked single mom? Where is Dad? Who knows! (Get it? Who...Daddy Who....sigh) Female empowerment and absentee slacker shitbird fathers are very timely I guess but the beauty of things like the Grinch is that they are timeless.

They added some characters as well because it's pretty hard to stretch a 15 page children's book into a 2 hour movie. Most are forgettable but I did like the screaming goat.

The music is modernized as well. If you like what was done in movies like "Trolls" you'll like it. I, being a crotchety old man, did not.

The Boy®, aged 3 liked it. Mostly because there are bright colors and lots of motion. I was unimpressed.

To be fair, Chuck Jones' masterpiece of animation with Boris Karloff voice overs sets an impossibly high bar. Save yourself some time and money and let your kids watch that instead.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2018 15:24 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
17 Nov 2018 18:13 #286334 by Black Barney
Jeez, great review! I was sure I was going to get dragged to this over the weekend but Emily seems to have completely forgotten about it. Hope I get away with it clean, we shall see...
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman

More
17 Nov 2018 20:59 - 17 Nov 2018 21:01 #286342 by repoman
One thing I didn't mention is that this is my first theater experience in quite a while and my first with the new fangled seating.

Seats like top of the line lazy boy recliners with vast amounts of leg room, a foot rest and reclining feature and even a seat heater like in your luxury cars. Also with a swing out mini table for your chicken nuggets, personal pizza and a cup holder for your drink.

It was impressive but man it smells desperate. Movie theaters trying anything and everything to get patrons into the place. Too bad Hollywood refuses to help out by making movies that are...you know...good.

PS: Movie Theater Popcorn still sucks. You know there was a time when it was the gold standard in popcorn. The standard by which all other popcorn was judged.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2018 21:01 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Black Barney

More
17 Nov 2018 21:17 #286344 by Black Barney
Yeah you gotta insist they make it fresh (they will) but it’s still not great

New theatre seating makes the place smell like a restaurant. It’s super disbelief-breaking when you’re smelling all sorts of foods.

Also with the full recliner it’s a hard guarantee that I’m falling asleep:(
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
18 Nov 2018 07:31 #286357 by mezike
My two Potter obsessives were jumping around about the new movie so we went to see it yesterday. I’ll preface by saying that I’m not at all into Potter. It’s great to see how much joy it brings them and I admire the franchise, it’s just not something I’ve gotten into. I also intensely dislike Johnny Depp who I think overacts to the point that he subsumes characters into his own personality; he’s not too bad here but it’s still very much Depp and not Grindalwald you are watching. The rest of the cast are fantastic.

The film suffers from an over reliance on exposition, with eye scouring CG set pieces occasionally interrupting the interminably long angst ridden introspection. There is also little drama involved due to the curse of being a prequel. The threats to kick Dumbledore out of Hogwarts are completely empty, as is the big worry about the possible destruction of Paris.

There were quite a few kids at the screening and they were restless and climbing all over the place during the parts where the cast sit around talking about the plot, which happens a lot. Both of mine still loved it though so I guess it will go down well with Potter fans regardless of otherwise not being a particularly good movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SebastianBludd

More
18 Nov 2018 11:02 - 18 Nov 2018 11:04 #286366 by Gary Sax
Reading that completely bizarre, pretty chilling, drug addled long form interview of Depp in was it Rolling Stone? Variety? was pretty fucked up. And revealing about the phenomenon you just mentioned. I'm not sure Depp has enough brain left to do anything else.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2018 11:04 by Gary Sax.

More
18 Nov 2018 11:10 - 18 Nov 2018 12:54 #286368 by Jackwraith

mezike wrote: The film suffers from an over reliance on exposition, with eye scouring CG set pieces occasionally interrupting the interminably long angst ridden introspection. There is also little drama involved due to the curse of being a prequel. The threats to kick Dumbledore out of Hogwarts are completely empty, as is the big worry about the possible destruction of Paris.

These were two of my complaints about the first Hobbit movie. There's no drama for most of the characters involved and what there is was melodrama with horrible direction. And the movie is utterly bogged down by people sitting around talking about what should happen. The White Council scene was awful. Here's a half-dozen people hamming it up over this overwrought and angst-ridden decision about what to do about the Necromancer which adds precisely nothing to the plot of this film. It was a really poor pacing and storytelling decision by Jackson, which may have been impacted by the studio decision to stretch the story into three films, over his protests.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2018 12:54 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
18 Nov 2018 12:04 #286372 by hotseatgames
Last night I re-watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I've seen it many times but it had been a while. I love this film and it holds up extremely well. One thing that I had not remembered... Elijah Wood's co-worker is none other than a young Mark Ruffalo.

It's on Netflix now, and if you have never seen this film and want a great drama with all-around fantastic performances, watch it.

More
18 Nov 2018 12:21 #286373 by Cranberries

repoman wrote:
It was impressive but man it smells desperate. Movie theaters trying anything and everything to get patrons into the place. Too bad Hollywood refuses to help out by making movies that are...you know...good.

But it's not enough to make a good movie, because you can still watch a good movie at home. It has to be a good movie that looks and feels amazing on the big screen, like Dunkirk or Interstellar, or even a Marvel movie. My wife and I saw I, Tonya in the theater, but that's because she's from Portland and grew up around the same time as Tonya Harding, otherwise we just would have watched in on our dirt cheap 50" TV and the pretty comfy couch we bought at the half-price Wednesday Ikea ding and dent room.

Almost every other "small" movie I've seen outside of my house has been on a plane, where I'm trapped. By the way, Singapore airlines is really good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
18 Nov 2018 16:49 #286376 by BaronDonut
Just saw the new Potter movie--it's awful. I'm a big time HP fan, but I found the plot to be entirely inscrutable. The film jumps from gray room to gray room, there's an enormous amount of screen time devoted to ham-fisted exposition, which STILL doesn't make a lick of sense unless you just watched the last one like minutes before (which I hadn't). There's not even that much fun wizard shit.

A younger person on the internet said this is what it must have felt like to see the Star Wars prequels in theaters, which feels pretty apt.

Recently saw the new Suspiria, which continuously blew my mind. Absolutely loved it.

More
18 Nov 2018 17:18 #286377 by Gary Sax
Finally someone else saw it!

More
18 Nov 2018 17:42 #286379 by Black Barney
The old Potters aren’t even that great and this doesn’t even look like a Potter film to me when I watch the trailers. Easy pass for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.660 seconds