October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
26 Dec 2018 21:53 #288725 by Michael Barnes
Just saw Into the Spiderverse....

All the reviews and praise have not sufficiently captured how utterly breathtaking it is.  I gasped out loud a few times at the sheer visual impact of it. It’s a pop art masterpiece, who could have expected  it from another superhero movie, let alone another Spider-Man movie? The music was completely banging and fresh (LOVED the “Apache” callback), and the writing was surprisingly excellent- really more complex than I expected, and with an awesome message that speaks to both classic Spider-Man values and today’s kids.

It really makes all other Superhero movies look lazy and old now...I think this is the best Marvel movie to date. Yep, better than Ragnarok, Doctor Strange, and Winter Soldier...because it’s fresh and young and if they never do another, it remains perfect.

I can’t figure out the new spoiler tags...so beware...
OMG Doc Ock. I YELLED in the theater. That was a total surprise. So well done. Loved the character design, the concept, everything. 

The fight in Aunt May’s house was incredible...as was the whole scene fleeing the Alchemex labs in the autumn  woods- that was such a beautiful sequence. So many eye-popping images.

They did the Bill Sienkiewicz Kingpin. Holy shit.

Spider-Man Noir was great...loved them all, actually. My son said “Isn’t it kind of weird that Spider-Ham is eating. A hot dog?”

the Stan Lee cameo was somehow less grating that usual...even though it probably should have been.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2018 23:41 #288726 by BillyBobThwarton
That one has my interest.  My son has never seen anything Spider-Man, but seems to love his Spider-Man webbed pj's…  Thoughts on how a 5 year old might take his first theater experience with it?  Closest thing he's seen in terms of content maybe would be the new Star Wars Resistance cartoon.

More
27 Dec 2018 03:48 #288729 by Grudunza
Aquaman is fun! Also dumm! But fun! It sure ain't no Citizen Kane, or anything close to as genuinely amazing as Spiderverse, and it is definitely bad in some ways. But it also has shark armies, an octopus playing drums, and Khal Drogo and Nicole Kidman kicking ass in underwater wonderworlds. I feel like I got my money's worth.

More
27 Dec 2018 06:37 #288730 by stormseeker75
We watched The Predator last night.  What an utter atrocity.  The editing was so bad, nothing made any sense.  it was just terrible all the way through.  The Predators looked cool, until you got to the one that was all CGI.  And the ending was the stupidest thing I've ever seen.  Aquaman may be dumb, but there's no way it's this dumb.

More
27 Dec 2018 08:14 - 27 Dec 2018 08:50 #288731 by Black Barney

BillyBobThwarton wrote: That one has my interest.  My son has never seen anything Spider-Man, but seems to love his Spider-Man webbed pj's…  Thoughts on how a 5 year old might take his first theater experience with it?  Closest thing he's seen in terms of content maybe would be the new Star Wars Resistance cartoon.

billy, yeah it’s a safe bet. Emily is 7, a girl with no exposure to Spidey and she wanted to see it again afterwards (which is rare). There’s tons of eye candy for kids to feast on and you even have Gwen Stacy for Barney

and yeah, Kingpin was so incredible and menacing. 

Ill try to get my review up today 

edit: btw, in a plot twist no one saw coming, BUMBLEBEE is supposed to be FANTASTIC. i'm so happy cuz I wanted to pay the price just to see Bumblebee rub Hailee Steinfeld's hair all messy. That scene in the trailer SOLD it for me. "oh look, they're just trying to have fun with this one. This might work..."    Looks like they pulled it off!!  Why PG-13 though?! Goddammit.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2018 08:50 by Black Barney.

More
27 Dec 2018 09:29 #288735 by Josh Look

Black Barney wrote:

Ill try to get my review up today 

edit: btw, in a plot twist no one saw coming, BUMBLEBEE is supposed to be FANTASTIC. i'm so happy cuz I wanted to pay the price just to see Bumblebee rub Hailee Steinfeld's hair all messy. That scene in the trailer SOLD it for me. "oh look, they're just trying to have fun with this one. This might work..."    Looks like they pulled it off!!  Why PG-13 though?! Goddammit.

I kind of saw it coming.  The writer(s) from The Iron Giant were involved early on and it’s the director who did Kubo and the Two Strings.  I had a feeling this would be the start of some course correction.

More
27 Dec 2018 10:08 #288736 by Black Barney
Yeah, going to micro-level seems to work better for this type of franchise. You can't just have all out war all the time. This is going to happen to Avengers too. People get fatigued of that (although they do well in the box office and that's all that metters for them). I wonder how many franchises look at LOGAN and think, "..yeah, we should do that too" and maybe that gives the impetus to make films like Bumblebee, and just make much more focused character-driven stories. I much prefer this.

Really looking forward to seeing this but there's this Japanese movie I HAVE to see first. I'll go today.

More
27 Dec 2018 10:34 #288737 by DarthJoJo

Black Barney wrote: Yeah, going to micro-level seems to work better for this type of franchise. You can't just have all out war all the time. This is going to happen to Avengers too. People get fatigued of that (although they do well in the box office and that's all that metters for them). I wonder how many franchises look at LOGAN and think, "..yeah, we should do that too" and maybe that gives the impetus to make films like Bumblebee, and just make much more focused character-driven stories. I much prefer this.

If you think about it, the first Iron Man really is a character piece about a superficial, apathetic man getting his act together. The three fight scenes are pretty small, and the villain mostly just wants Tony dead (and to deal arms to terrorists). No sky lasers or world-level threats. Just personal challenges and enemies. 

More
27 Dec 2018 10:42 #288738 by Black Barney
Oh, I completely agree and that's why IRON MAN is SO much better than AVENGERS (but most people disagree, and that's fine).

I'm trying to remember a line in Spider-Verse where someone notices what a cool origin story is going on. I wish I could remember, it was hilarious.

...k, i gotta get back to writing up that review so we can all talk about it.

Also, I need to figure out how to unsubscribe from this thread. I did it by accident when I was on MOBILE and I need to turn it off
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
27 Dec 2018 12:23 #288742 by Jackwraith
Saw At Eternity's Gate and The Favourite over the holidaze. The former was good and visually interesting, although I can see where people could think that following around a tragic and mildly manic figure could get tiring. They smartly downplayed all the typical Van Gogh stuff (the ear, etc.) and left everyone to experience DeFoe's version, rather than the wikipedia version..

The Favourite was great. It's done very much in the style of The Madness of King George, if you've ever seen it (the people behind the throne are all human with very human failings), but it has that air of surreality around it that gives it some very comic timing. No surprise, then, that the director is the same person who did The Lobster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
28 Dec 2018 08:23 - 28 Dec 2018 08:25 #288778 by Brewmiester
Saw Spiderverse Wed. night and agree with everyone else. I haven't read Spiderman since the Peter Parker/John Romita days but it is an amazing film.

Last night saw "They Shall Not Grow Old". If you have any interest in WWI I highly recommend it. They used footage from the Imperial War Museum and BBC interviews with veterans to make a fascinating, touching film. Not a history lesson but a chance to start a conversation with relatives about family involvement with the war. Obviously a work of passion by Peter Jackson. If you can stay after the credits for the making of feature where you can see the four years work they put into the film and parts of Mr. Jackson's amazing collection of WWI material.  
Last edit: 28 Dec 2018 08:25 by Brewmiester.

More
28 Dec 2018 15:44 #288807 by Black Barney
This better not get fucking political but Barack Obama just posted his favourite movies of 2018 list. Barry's got some pretty good taste as it turns out.. I put in bold the ones that are or have been in my top ten at one point this year as well...

My favorite movies of 2018:
Annihilation
Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman

Blindspotting
Burning
The Death of Stalin
Eighth Grade
If Beale Street Could Talk
Leave No Trace

Minding the Gap
The Rider
Roma
Shoplifters
Support the Girls
Won’t You Be My Neighbor

I haven't posted mine yet since I'll still be seeing 2018 movies for the next month or two. But we seem to intersect quite a bit so far! Now i know there has been speculation in the past but I want to make it clear that no, I'm not Barack Obama.

I'm of course not surprised that he saw something as important as If Beale Street Could Talk, but WOW he actually saw Shoplifters, Leave No Trace, The Rider as well! And yeah, I'm still thinking Won't You Be My Neighbour might be the best movie of the year but right now I'm honestly in a 4-way tie for 1st place. It's a real problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
28 Dec 2018 16:07 #288808 by Grudunza
That is a great list. Death of Stalin, Roma, and Blindspotting will probably make my list. I don't include documentaries, but yeah, Won't You Be is so good.

More
28 Dec 2018 16:18 #288809 by Gregarius
That's a good list. Sadly, I've only seen eight of them. It's interesting that he has such a wide range of tastes. I guess when you're a bored ex-President, you just watch whatever screeners people send you. :)

More
28 Dec 2018 16:27 #288812 by Black Barney
I think I have two documentaries in my top ten so far this year. A record
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.924 seconds