October 09, 2023
2482 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2684 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
15 Jan 2019 11:49 #290038 by ThirstyMan

repoman wrote: A Bridge Too Far seems to survive in popular culture because people think they should like it, not because they do. It is long but The Longest Day, the movie A Bridge Too Far is trying to replicate, is also long but you don't notice because it's a great film.

I think the real problem is that it doesn't effectively convey what the battle is about our what is going on so the viewer has no investment in the stakes. They try to explain it through exposition but even so, if you had no prior knowledge of the conflict, would you understand it after watching this film? I don't think so.

It has it's good moments. The very opening credits with the French woman's voice over gives me goosebumps. Elliot Gould's sequences around the blown up bridge are pretty good.

I also think that scene where Robert Redford berates the British tank commander for stopping for tea instead of rushing to Arnham is complete bullshit. Such a disservice to the Brits who would have been crushed if they advanced down that road without infantry support. A reflection of 1960's American arrogance perhaps.

Bird Box was utter garbage. I generally hate post apocalyptic movies but even among them this one is weak.

Well, I have strong memories about A Bridge too Far being a massively impressive film on the big screen in 1977 with a superb orchestral score and tons of really well known actors doing their thang. I actually went to Arnhem three years ago and walked across the bridge with an umbrella (of course). Love the movie to bits. Watch it every year at Christmas for some reason.

Birdbox was fun but there are definite advantages to everyone on Earth watching that movie. It means the gene pool is culled a bit while kids try to drive cars blindfold. So some good has come of it.

Anyone played/watched Bandersnatch? I quite like it, particularly the attempt at breaking the 4th wall and a meta story.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2019 11:54 #290039 by hotseatgames
Last night was my annual viewing of Akira. I don't know how many times I have seen this film, but it still holds up and is still incredible. When my kids are a bit older, I'll show it to them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
15 Jan 2019 18:43 #290066 by GorillaGrody

BaronDonut wrote: Favorite movies of 2018:

1. Sorry to Bother You
2. Annihilation
3. Into the Spiderverse
4. The Death of Stalin
5. Hereditary
6. Roma
7. The Favourite
8. Suspiria
9. Black Panther
10. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

This is my list except I would remove Annihilation and Roma and replace them both with MANDY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BaronDonut, JonathanVolk

More
16 Jan 2019 07:56 #290088 by JonathanVolk
Here we go:
  1. World of Tomorrow Episode 2: The Burden of Other People’s Thoughts (technically 2017, but I didn’t see it until 2018)
  2. Mission Impossible - Fallout
  3. Annihilation
  4. Suspiria
  5. Zama
  6. Mandy
  7. Roma
  8. Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse
  9. Lean on Pete
  10. First Reformed
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, GorillaGrody, BaronDonut

More
16 Jan 2019 08:02 #290089 by JonathanVolk
Honorable Mentions: The Favourite, Widows, First Man, Hereditary, Isle of Dogs, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Sorry to Bother You, The Death of Stalin, Leave No Trace....

Have to say this is one of the best years in cinema in a long time.

More
16 Jan 2019 08:31 #290090 by Black Barney
Yeah it’s a great year for movies

I better put together my top ten article so we can have a proper discussion

More
18 Jan 2019 09:16 #290205 by Michael Barnes
I finally saw Suspiria, and of course I have OPINIONS.

Non-spoiler ones. It is an -astonishingly- singular, audacious, confrontational, and fussy horror film. It makes me wish more “arthouse” directors would try the genre. I especially love how the horror elements are fresh and genuinely upsetting if not “scary”. There is a surrealist streak through the movie that is more unsettling than the “witches run a dance academy” concept.

I’m a huge fan of the ‘77 Argento film so that has to figure into all of this. But the references and callbacks to that film and the Argento style and the broader Giallo aesthetics are often extremely subtle. I really liked this approach. The original Suspiria is caught in echoes, not in recreations. Except for one special appearance that I didn’t know about beforehand, and I found really special.

The players are all good to great but Tilda Swinton is the MVP here- she is simply awesome in her roles. Yes, all three of them.

It’s beautifully made, artful, and fearless...and it knows when to turn it up and go for broke. This is the best horror film of recent years, on a par with The VVItch, Babadook, and Mandy but in some ways superior to those pictures.

Now, the spoilers.

Warning: Spoiler!

More
18 Jan 2019 09:20 #290206 by hotseatgames
Watched Siberia on Amazon Prime. This is a Keanu Reeves movie in which he plays a diamond dealer with a sketchy moral compass. I wasn't sure if this was going to be an action film or something else.

It's not an action movie. It's largely boring, with very little happening in general, beyond Keanu getting a lot of sex action. Not worth your time.

More
18 Jan 2019 10:28 #290208 by Jackwraith
Watched Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much. It's a documentary on Amazon about an obsessive watcher (and attender) of The Price is Right who had basically memorized the prices of all the prizes on the show and would attend and shout out the exact prices to people that were competing and tried his own hand at it when he got selected once. He finally got banned from the show for providing someone with the precise amount of a Showcase bid, which Drew Carey said had never happened before... except that it showed the same guy dong it for someone else years before.

It's a decent look inside the production and culture of a game show, but not particularly interesting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
18 Jan 2019 11:04 - 18 Jan 2019 11:07 #290211 by Gary Sax
Thank god someone finally saw it, Barnes. I saw it months ago at a preview screening and no one here had really seen it!

Last edit: 18 Jan 2019 11:07 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
18 Jan 2019 11:45 - 18 Jan 2019 12:29 #290216 by Michael Barnes
More Suspiria talk...

Last edit: 18 Jan 2019 12:29 by Michael Barnes.

More
19 Jan 2019 18:19 #290280 by hotseatgames
Snowed in here, so I decided to take a chance on Midnight Meat Train. It's on HBO. Clive Barker is involved with this, but I didn't see exactly how. Bradley Cooper plays a photographer who unwittingly discovers that someone is murdering people on a subway train and disposing of the bodies. The murderer is the big dude from Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, and Snatch. Interestingly enough, these murders actually happen on the 2 AM train, but I guess 2 AM Meat Train didn't sound as good.

The movie is gross, and dumb, and I predicted the ending well in advance. I'd wait for the next train, if I was you. I wish I had.

More
19 Jan 2019 19:43 #290285 by Black Barney
I almost went to see the new DragonBall Z movie today after having zero exposure to it so far. I think I’m glad I went grocery shopping instead

Will see Green Book this week

Although I want to see Cold War the most. I’m not sure if I should see it cuz I don’t think I’m over my polish ex gf still

More
22 Jan 2019 12:37 - 23 Jan 2019 10:39 #290429 by Grudunza
If you haven't heard about the disastrous Fyre Festival, you can watch a documentary about it now. Wait... you can watch TWO documentaries about it now! What the?? My gf and I happened to be poking around Hulu the other night and saw their version available and watched it, then found out later that Netflix had also just released one.

I did watch about 15 minutes of the Netflix one yesterday, but though I realize 15 minutes may not be enough of a fair shake to that, I feel pretty confident to say that the Hulu one is much better. Much stronger intro and setup and visual style, and the way the cultural context for the event and the people involved and the impact of social media and "influencers" are portrayed is very interesting and well told. The Netflix one seemed much more like... here's a bunch of footage and some people talking about it, without any real style or structure to it. Fyre Fraud (Hulu's version) is definitely more "documentary-ish," and may be more biased in that sense, but it's also more entertaining and polished.

I suppose, though, that if I had only watched the Netflix one, I'd have gotten the same essential story and probably been fine with that. I do find it interesting from a comparative point to see these two, as if it was a competition. "Hey, here's a fucked-up story and some footage. Go shoot a documentary, and may the best team win." In this case, I vote for Team Hulu.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2019 10:39 by Grudunza.

More
22 Jan 2019 13:34 #290434 by jpat
I quite enjoyed Shoplifters, if that's the right word for it. The nature of the character relationships and the specificity of the setting elevated the film well above grueling-poverty-film cliche for me.

I can't really recommend Glass, even though I sporadically enjoyed it. As a "superhero" movie, or even a deconstruction of one, as a movie about comics, as a mash-up movie, as a character study, in fact in most ways as a movie it doesn't really work. For one thing, the first hour-plus is damn near interminable, and indulgent even by Shyamalan standards (though I've mostly stayed away from his weakest stuff). But it does hold some interest as autobiography and as comment about "extraordinariness" in general. It might also be a good idea to revisit Unbreakable first, if it's been a long time, though I'd venture that time hasn't been particularly kind to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.625 seconds