October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
22 Jan 2019 13:43 #290435 by Gregarius
Last weekend I had the unusual opportunity to stay in and watch movies, but I ended up watching all old stuff.

Lilo & Stitch - One of the last "traditionally animated" Disney movies that I had never seen. It was great! The animation was so clean and fluid; the characters were interesting and unique, and the story was a lot of fun. I especially appreciated that the main kid behaved like a kid, not some writer's plot device. Recommended.

Mad Max: Fury Road - Damn this is still so good. I wish I had the Black & Chrome edition, because I am a little weary of the color saturation, but everything else is just as amazing as it was the first time. Highly recommended.

The Walk - I really saw no need for this film because I loved Man on Wire so much, but it managed to justify its existence pretty well. Gordon-Levitt tries too hard to be quirky & charming, which is probably exactly like the real Petit. There are a lot of "in your face" 3D camera effects, but I actually appreciated that. So often 3D is just slapped on and forgotten about, whereas this one really tried to make it a part of the movie. It did an excellent job of giving you the visceral experience of being on top of the towers and on the wire. Sadly, I was watching it on my 2D screen at home. I imagine this was probably one of most terrifying movies ever shown in 3D IMAX. Recommended if you liked Man on Wire.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2019 15:09 - 23 Jan 2019 15:10 #290548 by Grudunza

Grudunza wrote: If you haven't heard about the disastrous Fyre Festival, you can watch a documentary about it now. Wait... you can watch TWO documentaries about it now!

I did watch about 15 minutes of the Netflix one yesterday, but though I realize 15 minutes may not be enough of a fair shake to that, I feel pretty confident to say that the Hulu one is much better.

Okay, I spoke too soon. I watched the rest of the Netflix one, and that’s really well done, too, in its own way. The Hulu one is better at an “outsider looking in” perspective, showing more of the wider cultural influence that helped create this event. The Netflix one shows more of the inside details of what happened, and some of that is very fascinating.

Definitely a fun look at a super sketchy entrepreneur/conman, and how he orchestrated a colossal failure. And interesting to compare the two docs and see their different approaches and angles on the same essential story.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2019 15:10 by Grudunza.

More
23 Jan 2019 21:35 #290566 by DarthJoJo

Grudunza wrote: Okay, I spoke too soon. I watched the rest of the Netflix one, and that’s really well done, too, in its own way. The Hulu one is better at an “outsider looking in” perspective, showing more of the wider cultural influence that helped create this event. The Netflix one shows more of the inside details of what happened, and some of that is very fascinating.

You’re not wrong about Hulu having an outsider perspective. The Netflix take was produced in partnership by two companies involved in putting on the festival. Thusly accused, the Netflix team pointed out the Hulu director paid well for his interview with the criminally convicted festival organizer. Fruitful territory for college courses, no doubt.

You can read more of the details here:
www.theringer.com/movies/2019/1/15/18183...-billy-mcfarland-pay

More
26 Jan 2019 12:23 #290715 by hotseatgames
I watched Polar on Netflix, and if you like cool action movies, you should do the same. Mads Mikkelsen (awesome, as always) plays a hitman about to retire. His company decides that it's cheaper to have him killed than to pay his retirement... hijinx ensue.

Content warning- not for the kids, not even close. Sex, drugs, blood, torture, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
26 Jan 2019 21:08 #290732 by Gary Sax
Just rented John Wick 2 (I had seen it before). It is extremely bad in an awesome and fun way. There are some legitimately great action sequences in it. The silenced gun battle in public comes to mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Jan 2019 07:30 #290742 by Cranberries

JonathanVolk wrote: Here we go:

1. World of Tomorrow Episode 2: The Burden of Other People’s Thoughts (technically 2017, but I didn’t see it until 2018)

I commend you for your use of the list markup. Also, I really liked World of Tomorrow I, and make my students watch it. One of the few movies I've ever purchased. I'll have to watch the sequel now.

A week ago I watched Old Man and the Gun, which could have been called, "Charming Outlaw shot on Film." I enjoyed the show, and Sissy Spacek and Redford are delightful, but not a single thing happens that you don't know is going to happen. It's almost a montage of great Redford roles.

Last night I took m wife to see Notorious at the local college's free International Cinema. I got to see another couple of great actors who ooze charisma, the British actor Archibald Alec Leach and the famous Swedish actor Ingrid Bergman. It felt a little like Casablanca. Although I will reveal the fact that I am an uncultured barbarian by saying this, it was good, but not fantastic. There are some great scenes where Hitchcock builds suspense and the closing scene is pretty great (I won't spoil it even though the film is 73 years old). I guess I was waiting for a mind blowing reveal that never came. T This review is pretty good but gives away every single plot point.his review is pretty good but gives away every single plot point .

I think I'll watch Breakfast at Tiffany's next. I've never seen it and Notorious has left me in the mood for some classics.

More
27 Jan 2019 21:41 #290765 by Gary Sax
Watched the director's cut the watchmen. It isn't good, but the added scenes make the narrative much more coherent. I know there's a lot of worst movie ever rep around here for it but I find it mostly just serviceable with a few decent scenes. I think the opening montage is legitimately good, though.

That said, I also consider the comic unfilmable as a movie so I put some of the clunkiness down to that. The only genuine consistent failure is the Snyder action scene style meeting the Watchmen.

More
28 Jan 2019 08:09 #290779 by Black Barney
I tried watching Blade Runner again last night. It didn’t even take fifteen minutes before my eyes started closing. That might be the sleepiest movie of all time. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get through it

More
28 Jan 2019 12:22 #290797 by Michael Barnes
I just heard a lot POP and then the smell of smoked sausage wafted by. (Checks above post)....oh......that must have been Black Barney’s film credibility imploding.

More
28 Jan 2019 12:25 #290798 by Vysetron
I'll throw my own cred out too, then. Blade Runner 2049 is the prettiest sedative I've ever taken.

More
28 Jan 2019 12:58 #290799 by Black Barney
I love that movie!! But I bet the Vegas scenes might put me to sleep if I rewatched it. I remember that being super slow.

But I’ll take any scene with this companion , all of that was riveting to me.

Also his baseline tests really freaked me out

More
28 Jan 2019 15:21 #290808 by WadeMonnig
I have The Watchmen on my list on Netflix and If I have 10 minutes, I'll watch that opening montage over and over. Only second to the Desperado for best opening scene in modern film.

More
28 Jan 2019 15:44 #290809 by Gregarius

Black Barney wrote: I tried watching Blade Runner again last night. It didn’t even take fifteen minutes before my eyes started closing. That might be the sleepiest movie of all time. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get through it

Does the new site design have an opposite of the "Thank You" button? Something with a different finger raised, perhaps?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
28 Jan 2019 15:47 #290810 by Gregarius

WadeMonnig wrote: I have The Watchmen on my list on Netflix and If I have 10 minutes, I'll watch that opening montage over and over. Only second to the Desperado for best opening scene in modern film.

Umm.. Drive?

More
28 Jan 2019 16:06 #290811 by Michael Barnes
Umm...The Wild Bunch?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.502 seconds