× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
11 Feb 2019 12:51 #292080 by mezike
We also caught the Lego Movie over the weekend, my kids are just getting a little too old for this sort of thing but still had a great time. It's definitely not on par with the first one, however I did really like the sibling angle that they went for and they pulled on the feels with the whole "one punch to solve everything" thing. I would have liked to see them explore the angle of how this is still a pressure put on young boys as an outlet for their emotions but it might have been a bit much for the kind of movie it needed to be if they had done so. I thought it was a pretty neat bit of work to add some deeper meaning without being overly moralistic about it.

One thing I noticed though was that the overall pace of the movie felt quite slow yet they kept rushing through the jokes. When we were talking about it afterward we realised that there were punchlines that only one or two of us actually caught, especially so with the jokes aimed at the parents in the audience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2019 13:40 #292085 by Black Barney
Jpat, how do feel that Black Sheep will win the Oscar? Is the Academy getting it right?

More
12 Feb 2019 22:52 #292140 by Jackwraith
Saw the live action shorts tonight, too.

Madre- Was moving, if a bit simple. Some films work well in that sphere, though. Everything you needed to see was contained in that one apartment. I was a bit lost on the final moments, though, when they focused on her mother.
Fauve- My favorite, I think. Just a very natural setting for everything that happened and some smart camera work. The backdrop of the empty mine was both eerie and stark.
Marguerite- The best acting moment of the five, when Marguerite reacts to the picture in her album. Also good editing, as they didn't dwell on her reactions. A bit obvious, but a very relatable story for a lot of people and quite the contrast in theme to the other four.
Detainment- I had no idea someone was making a film about the Bulger case. I know the details well, since it took place on Merseyside and I follow the football team there. Because of that, I think I was less interested in the story of this one or at least found it much less jarring than everyone else I was with. A decent film, regardless.
Skin- 'Merica! My second favorite acting moment of the film, when the son returns to his family and flops on the couch with his dad looking at him and then at his mother like: "Where the hell has he been?" Certainly timely. Perhaps a bit too on the nose?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
13 Feb 2019 08:01 #292148 by Black Barney
Marguerite is going to take it I think

More
13 Feb 2019 08:20 #292150 by hotseatgames
Last night I watched Road Warrior for the first time in... I don't know. Probably measured in decades.

I'll definitely be waiting to show this one to the kids... it's more "adult" than Fury Road. The movie itself holds up. By Fury Road standards, this movie is pretty dumb, but it's got style and really set the tone for what people think of when they think post-apocalyptic, so it's still a great time.

And Max's doggo... he is the real star of the show. I had one of those dogs once. He was a good, if somewhat dim-witted, dog, who once snatched a bird literally out of the air.

More
17 Feb 2019 17:00 - 17 Feb 2019 17:01 #292476 by jeb
Skip the whole Oscars and just watch videos like this one:

Moderators: JackwraithwadenelsGary SaxFrohike
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds