October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
11 Oct 2019 12:53 #302383 by hotseatgames
I watched El Camino, the follow-up to Breaking Bad. It's good... but not amazing. If you are a fan of the show, by all means watch it. If you haven't seen the show, by all means DON'T watch it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2019 16:25 #302604 by Shellhead
It has been 201 years since Mary Wollstonecroft Shelley first got her novel Frankenstein published. So, a year late, I have been watching Frankenstein movies lately, including a couple of good ones on Amazon Prime that you may have overlooked.

The Frankenstein Theory (2013) is a decent movie with a shoestring budget. It's a found-footage sort of movie in the style of The Blair Witch Project, but manages to deliver a superior viewing experience with better acting, dialogue, visual effects, and cinematography. The greatest strength is the plausibility of the titular Frankenstein theory as expressed by the actor playing a descendant of Victor von Frankenstein. He looks like a bit like a young Peter Weller or Paul Reiser, with chiseled cheekbones and a piercing blue gaze that is equally capable of conveying genius or madness. The female lead is leading a documentary team that is following Frankenstein on his expedition to a remote part of Canada in search of the creature. This journalist has a very specifically appropriate level of beauty that you would expect to find in a local tv reporter that does human interest stories. The rest of the documentary team and the guide are all stock characters that are well-cast. The Frankenstein Theory does a great job of grounding the movie with realistic attention to mundane details, paving the way for the suspension of disbelief when the going gets weird. Once the suspense arrives, the movie builds to a tense conclusion.

I, Frankenstein (2014) looks and feels exactly like it takes place in the same world as the Underworld movies (a thinly disguised version of the World of Darkness), in part because it shares the same writer. The focus of the movie is solidly on the Frankenstein Monster, played by Aaron Eckhart (Harvey Dent from The Dark Knight), and his alienation from the human race. His loneliness is also relevant, because he carries around his creator's notebook in hopes of someday possibly creating a mate. He unwillingly gets in the middle of a conflict between demons and gargoyles (angels), as the demons seek to create soulless creatures who are able to destroy demons. They want the Frankenstein Monster but are willing to settle for his creator's notebook. There is plenty of action and decent CGI in play, and some interesting ethical issues arise along the way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
21 Oct 2019 22:41 #302641 by Jackwraith
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
22 Oct 2019 09:14 #302647 by RobertB
Zombieland: Double Tap. I thought Zombieland was okay, not great. This was more of the same, and not in a particularly good way. Decent actors doing a decent job in a mediocre movie. If you liked Zombieland, I recommend you hold off until it's available through Redbox or streaming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
23 Oct 2019 00:05 - 23 Oct 2019 09:13 #302692 by Disgustipater

Jackwraith wrote: Watched El Camino: dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/2019/10/h...ruck-half-story.html

I pretty much agree with you. Much like prequels (speaking generally; I haven't seen Better Call Saul) I'm not sure I see the point of this movie. In my opinion, it doesn't add anything to story and tries to fill holes that didn't need filling. The final scene in Breaking Bad of Jesse driving away in the car gave me as much closure as the final scene in El Camino of him driving away in a car.
Last edit: 23 Oct 2019 09:13 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, BillyBobThwarton

More
23 Oct 2019 08:27 #302695 by charlest
Midsommar was very disturbing. I think it was even better than Hereditary. Can't wait to see what this director does next.

More
23 Oct 2019 09:34 - 23 Oct 2019 09:35 #302698 by mezike
Just came out from Terminator: dark fate. I was holding back on my expectations, but uneccessarily so. It’s good, and a worthy sequel to the first two movies. The first five minutes are legitimately shocking and one of the best scenes in the franchise so far. There are explosions and vehicle chases aplenty, this is more of a straight up action flick and less timey-wimey navel gazing.

Although it is predominantly a chase movie it takes the lore/plot into a completely different direction and becomes its own movie which is very welcome after the last three attempts tied themselves in knots in an attempt to preserve continuity.

Speaking as someone who finds T2 a little corny I’d even put Dark Fate as my favourite after the original.
Last edit: 23 Oct 2019 09:35 by mezike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Msample, hotseatgames, Sevej

More
23 Oct 2019 11:28 #302703 by Gregarius

Disgustipater wrote: I pretty much agree with you. Much like prequels (speaking generally; I haven't seen Better Call Saul) I'm not sure I see the point of this movie.

I liked El Camino because it was fun to revisit the Breaking Bad world and spend more time with Jesse. I agree it wasn't necessary, but it was a nice addition.

Better Call Saul, however, I absolutely adore. I think I actually like it more than Breaking Bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
23 Oct 2019 22:50 #302717 by hotseatgames
I just watched Glass on HBO. While it takes a long time to build up speed, once it gets going, it's really great. I haven't seen Unbreakable in a very long time, but I think I liked this film the best of the trilogy.

James Macavoy is SO good!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
24 Oct 2019 01:20 #302718 by Jackwraith

More
24 Oct 2019 09:03 #302722 by charlest
Glass received some very harsh reviews, but I enjoyed it as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, WadeMonnig

More
24 Oct 2019 09:43 #302724 by Shellhead

Gregarius wrote:

Disgustipater wrote: I pretty much agree with you. Much like prequels (speaking generally; I haven't seen Better Call Saul) I'm not sure I see the point of this movie.

I liked El Camino because it was fun to revisit the Breaking Bad world and spend more time with Jesse. I agree it wasn't necessary, but it was a nice addition.

Better Call Saul, however, I absolutely adore. I think I actually like it more than Breaking Bad.

If El Camino features Jesse, I will probably pass on it. In hindsight, I'm not sure why I watched all of Breaking Bad. I didn't like Walter's family, and I really didn't like Aaron Paul's acting. For at least the first two or three seasons, his acting was the blustering forcefulness of an incompetent liar. Eventually, he settled into the Jesse role and was okay, but it's hard to shake off so many bad performances leading up to that point.

More
24 Oct 2019 10:28 #302725 by Josh Look
I watched Event Horizon the other night. I’d never seen it, had heard that it hadn’t aged well, but I’m looking for some inspiration for running Mothership (go look that RPG up if you don’t know what it is).

Man, what a frustrating movie. Not because it hadn’t aged well but because it’s so close to being something really special. The concept is killer, the 90s CG looks bad but the ship itself is amazing. While watching, I couldn’t shake the feeling that this movie was rushed. Turns out I was right, this thing was given no time to be refined and it’s missing over a half hour of footage.

Paul WS Anderson is not a good director by any stretch of the imagination, but I wish he were given more time with it. Say what you will about it, and while I was ultimately underwhelmed, its not dull and there’s still something about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, SebastianBludd, mezike, DarthJoJo

More
24 Oct 2019 11:02 #302728 by Jackwraith
Couple reasons I continue to think of Event Horizon as one of my guilty pleasures/so bad it's good:

1. The ship was clearly inspired by GW's Adeptus Mechanicus. I'm an age-old AM fan, so I thought it was kind of awesome that someone shared my design affectations.

2. Most of the actors have genuine talent and/or presence. From Laurence Fishburne to Jason Isaacs (late of Harry Potter and Death of Stalin(!) fame) to Kathleen Quinlan to Joely Richardson and, especially, Richard T. Jones as Cooper, the cast was delightful, even if the screenplay was poor. The one counterpoint is, unfortunately, Sam Neill chewing scenery.

3. I like that they tried to stick with the Alien model of space travel: It's an industrial thing and industrial things are dirty. Rather than write a story about the Federation sending their flagship to investigate the strange phenomenon, they send a salvage crew.

But, yeah, way too many production problems for it ever to have been a success with that script.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
24 Oct 2019 11:10 #302729 by jpat
Don't know whether this counts, but I saw No Retreat, No Surrender (could be the other way around) an 80s "karate" "action" movie I hadn't seen before (but my wife had) as part of an MST3k live event in Chicago. It was part of Joel Hodgson's alleged last tour for MST, and other than the streamed RiffTrax for "The Room," it was probably my favorite live or semi-live riffing-type event. Spoiler: There was a lot of retreating in the movie.

I agree that Zombieland: Double Tap, while not being a direct plot ripoff, was adequate, unnecessary, covered the same emotional ground, and was a decent evening. They should do one every ten years, like the "7-up" movies. That would probably be the most interesting part.

Hustlers is pretty much what the reviews say--a strong performance from J.Lo in an otherwise decent film. It's no "Big Short"--it covers the period of the Great Recession and after, hence the (loose) connection--but it still had some decent commentary mixed in with a lot of trope-y action and sentiment.

Judy avoids the worst sins of biopics (for me)--(1) heavy reliance on flashbacks and (2) use of an "interview" or "trial" frame to drive the exposition and hammer home the themes--and has a pretty good performance from Zellweger in the lead but is otherwise pretty unremarkable.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.603 seconds