October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2660 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
03 Mar 2020 15:44 #307648 by dysjunct
THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN.

Never actually saw it outside of YouTube and Wu Tang clips, so I am feeling nine years old again watching Kung Fu Theater on some UHF station. I felt a rush of pure nostalgic joy when the Shaw Brothers logo popped up on screen.

I am also day drinking, which I admittedly did not do when I was nine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Shellhead, allismom3, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2020 17:18 #307656 by Michael Barnes
Follow that shit up with:

Five Deadly Venoms
8 Diagram Pole Fighter
Super Ninjas (my favorite SB picture)
Chinatown Kid
One-Armed Swordsman
Girl With the Thunderbolt Kick

Maybe get crazy and throw in the Black Magic pictures - Seeding of a Ghost FTW

Re: Jojo Rabbit - I feel you Jeb. It's definitely not humor for everyone and It's totally understandable to question whether or not you ought to be laughing at it. I'm of the opinion that the film was very plainly mocking and lampooning Nazism in a very direct way to ridicule the fact that there are people NOW that still believe that farcical shit. It also cast into light the notion that Nazism is -fantasy-.

Besides, in what other movie does the dramatic climax find a character actually saying "Fuck off, Hitler!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
03 Mar 2020 17:29 #307657 by san il defanso
Lindsay Ellis on YouTube made the very good point that neo nazis like to reclaim stuff like American History X because it makes them look like a legitimate position. They demand to be taken seriously. But none of them are lining up to reclaim The Producers, because it makes nazism look like buffoonery. (The Producers is one of my favorite movies, full disclosure.)

Not to say Jeb's misgivings aren't legit. Hopefully that much is clear.

More
03 Mar 2020 19:01 #307658 by Sagrilarus
I detest stalker films.

I'm sitting in the theater with The Invisible Man on the screen. A bit of a fuck-up that.

More
04 Mar 2020 06:37 #307663 by Erik Twice

Sagrilarus wrote: I detest stalker films.

I'm sitting in the theater with The Invisible Man on the screen. A bit of a fuck-up that.

I hate the "suffering woman" genre. There are critical reasons but I simply detest how I'm working or playing in my room and all I can hear from the TV from the other side of the house are moans and cries.

More
11 Mar 2020 23:13 #307902 by Michael Barnes
Colour Out of Space...DAMN! All this folks trying to make 80s style horror or Lovecraft influenced films...here’s your stop work order. Do it like this or give it up.

I was -so- stoked to watch this. I adore Richard Stanley. Hardware and Dust Devil are just stupendously great, weird, singular horror movies, and it’s always been a shame that he never did anything else other than some quite good documentaries about esoteric subjects, music videos and shorts. This is his first big feature 1992. And I like the “alright, I’m a total fucking freak” phase Nic Cage is in. So stakes were high.

The first 45 minutes are almost like a cracked Spielberg thing. Almost in Poltergeist territory, although it’s set in...Arkham, not Southern California. It takes its time to build up...but once it cuts loose, it totally goes off the rails. Full throttle Psychedelic, cosmic horror. There’s also some pretty upsetting body horror in it as well with some great practical effects.

It looks and feels just like like a late 80s/early 90s horror thing...like a Stuart Gordon film with more class and some often artful, elegant atmospheres and images.

And of course Cage gets to go berserk...there’s no moment quite like the bathroom scene in Mandy, but this is PRIME “oh god not the bees” Nicholas Cage.

Really liked it quite a lot. Rented it on a double bill with Mandy, which I’m about to watch again. One of my favorite films of the last ten years

Onward is cute. My kids cheered for the Gelatinous Cube.
The following user(s) said Thank You: trif, hotseatgames, charlest

More
11 Mar 2020 23:57 #307906 by Jackwraith
The old "trap door drops you on top of a gelatinous cube with grease covering the walls of the shaft" was one of my favorite DMing tricks.

I was bored by Annihilation because it was obviously The Colour Out of Space. This is clearly much closer to the original story, so that's one hurdle out of the way. I'm not a Nic Cage fan, but this is still interesting to the HPL fan in me.

More
12 Mar 2020 01:21 - 12 Mar 2020 01:22 #307907 by Michael Barnes
Yeah it’s actually surprisingly faithful to the original material despite the modernization...there are quite a few things pulled straight from the story.

Annihilation is the more hoity toity film (I love it too), this one is more pulpy and over the top.

Apparently Stanley wants to do two more HPL films and I hope that comes to fruition...he’s looking at the Dunwich Horror next apparently.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2020 01:22 by Michael Barnes.

More
12 Mar 2020 06:52 - 12 Mar 2020 07:26 #307913 by jay718
I really think the movie suffered for having Cage in it. Not because of his performance, but because of his previous performances and what we've come to expect from him. His transformation would have been exponentially creepier had his character been played by literally anyone else. Instead, the entire theater was laughing at him.

Other than that, I loved it and can't wait to see what's next from Stanley.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2020 07:26 by jay718.

More
12 Mar 2020 11:33 #307933 by Shellhead
I took a chance on what appeared to be a Chinese bootleg set of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. $70 plus shipping for all 23 movies. So now I am gradually working my way through them in order. I saw maybe a half dozen of these movies in the theater, then did a bunch of catch-up last year before the final Avengers movie, thanks pay-for-view or the public library. Even so, I still hadn't seen some of the MCU movies.

Iron Man (2008) - Iron Man always had a decent origin story, and it easily transplants from 1962 Korea to 2008 Afghanistan with minimal changes. Robert Downey Jr was a shrewd casting choice, because his own past struggles with addiction are comparable to the problems that Tony Stark has had with alcohol, though this first movie doesn't get into that. The pacing drags a bit in places, but Downey's manic energy lights up his every scene, and Gwenyth Paltrow nearly holds her own in these scenes. While this movie definitely sets the tone for the MCU movies, it's interesting to see how they hadn't quite worked out the formula yet. Still, Iron Man compares very favorably to any superhero movie made before 2008, with good acting, humor, a decent story, fantastic visuals, and some actual themes and ideas.

The Incredible Hulk (2008) - The opening credits are a montage of scenes that initially seemed like massive spoilers, but eventually I realized that it was a quick visual rehash of the events of the previous Hulk movie. While I always appreciate it when a superhero movie skips past yet another rehash of the origin story, this was an odd way to address it, given that the previous movie had a completely different cast and director. So this second MCU movie is actually a sequel to a non-MCU movie. And Hulk is missing at least half of what makes the better MCU movies work. Great cast, featuring Ed Norton, Liv Tyler, Tim Roth, and William Hurt, and yet these characters feel like strangers to one another. There is almost zero humor in the entire movie. The visuals are great, but feel like they are carefully rationed out on a tight budget. The introduction of the alter egos of Doc Samson and the Leader make it seem like there was supposed to be another Hulk movie or two, but that never happened due to conflicts between Universal Studios and Marvel. Hulk is not a bad movie, but it might be the worst of the MCU movies.

Iron Man 2 (2010): Just three movies into the MCU, and we are already getting a direct sequel. But it's that rare case where the sequel is better than the original. Downey and Paltrow are back, and their rapid-fire dialogue now reveals a certain wacky chemistry. Don Cheadle takes over the Rhodey role played by Terence Howard to zero effect in the first movie, and does a better job. Scarlett Johansson doesn't get a lot of lines, but gets a great action sequence. Sam Rockwell is a deliciously smarmy villain, and Mickey Rourke turns in another startling performance that takes advantage of his weather-beaten visiage. Gary Shandling and Gregg Clark land a few good lines, and Samuel L Jackson steals every moment of his brief scenes. There are some serious themes, some character development, some humor, and plenty of action. Director Jon Favreau steps up his minor role into actual comedy relief, as Stark's hapless human bodyguard. Though I may be biased (see my avatar), I think that Iron Man 2 was actually the best comic book movie ever at the time it was released. To the extent that the MCU movies have had a recipe for success, Iron Man 2 was the movie where they first implemented all the ingredients.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
12 Mar 2020 11:47 #307934 by hotseatgames

Shellhead wrote: I took a chance on what appeared to be a Chinese bootleg set of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. $70 plus shipping for all 23 movies.

Not cool. Not cool at all.

More
12 Mar 2020 12:17 #307937 by Shellhead

hotseatgames wrote:

Shellhead wrote: I took a chance on what appeared to be a Chinese bootleg set of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. $70 plus shipping for all 23 movies.

Not cool. Not cool at all.

By contrast, the official collection is $549.99, and Best Buy will even let you set up a payment plan for $45.84 per month.

www.cinemablend.com/news/2481663/the-mcu...and-costs-everything

More
12 Mar 2020 14:16 #307948 by Ah_Pook
I watched Leviathan last night. It's a horror movie from 89 which is basically The Abyss + The Thing + Alien. Stars Peter Weller and a bunch of 80s That Guys. Ernie Hudson plays his character from Ghostbusters but in an undersea mining rig. Daniel Stern plays a total dirt bag miner. They find a mysterious scuttled Russian ship, Stern gets sick and dies, his body mutates into a gross fish monster, the corporation is bad, bunch of people die, etc. It was a pretty fun creature feature that way only let down by the finale. The fx were solid the whole way through (including a pretty good Thingesque bit where a guys hands open into mouths and attack a guy), but the big bad looks so so bad when he finally shows up that it tanks the entire end of the movie. Still though, you could do worse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
13 Mar 2020 08:53 #307986 by Ah_Pook
Needed something light last night, watched Logan Lucky , or was exactly what the doctor ordered. A good heist movie, with a great cast. Basically it's hick Oceans 11, where they rob the Charlotte Motor Speedway on a race day. Really enjoyable, i thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
13 Mar 2020 09:36 #307989 by Jackwraith
I supposedly saw that several months ago. I went to it because it's a Soderbergh film and the cast is great, but I have to say that I barely remember it. There's a couple details in my head that convince me that I did actually see it, but my usual memory for moments or good lines or other details like that is completely empty. It's like it passed by without making any impact on me whatsoever, which is weird.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 2.221 seconds