March 18, 2020
1169 0

Kingdom Death Cult

Rants & Raves
W
WadeMonnig
March 18, 2020
690 1
× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
20 Mar 2020 12:24 #308372 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: I had no idea Schooly D would ever be referenced here on this site.

I knew his name from some movie, so I checked IMDB. I think he first got my attention with his work on King of New York, but I finally looked him up because of New Rose Hotel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2020 16:54 #308385 by allismom3

Jackwraith wrote: Right. He's a "leading man"-type who's never really been a leading man. Since we already have those types in the form of Clint Eastwood and others, it's difficult to give him vehicles without them ending up feeling/seeming derivative of a lot of stuff that we've already seen.

And sometimes there are bit actors who just do one thing really well. Kris Kristofferson is an excellent example. If you want someone who's gruff, steely-eyed, and whose voice sounds like Archie Bunker gargling nails, you want Kristofferson. It's all he ever does. Look at Blade, Payback, Lone Star; same thing, every time.

You could put Sam Elliot in the same category
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
23 Mar 2020 09:13 #308470 by RobertB
Finally got around to watching Arrival. If you like thinky SF, I'd recommend it. Can say a lot more without going straight into spoilers.

More
23 Mar 2020 10:42 #308477 by Shellhead
Continued with the MCU. Iron Man 3 is an escalation of Iron Man 2, with more action, more rapid dialogue, more technology, more, more, more. Stark makes a breakthrough that allows him to remotely summon his armor, which flies to him piece by piece. This could have just been a minor gimmick, but the writers lean in to it and take it farther into some unexpected and interesting applications. In a way, this movie shows Iron Man at both his strongest and weakest. At times, his latest tech is unreliable and inconvenient, and there are long stretches of the movie where Stark is in danger and has no armor. But when everything comes together and is working right, the technology is impressive and devastating in combat. There is still some humor, warmth, and solid character beats, and both Don Cheadle and Gwenyth Paltrow get more screentime than in the previous Iron Man movie. There is also a cute kid character, but RDJ defeats conventional wisdom about kids and easily holds the spotlight in those scenes.

Thor: The Dark World is below average for an MCU movie, though still above average compared to superhero movies in general. It opens with an unfortunate but necessary amount of exposition about dark elves, to the point where a viewer who missed the first Thor movie might think this is a recap. Hemsworth is still charismatic and impressive, and really everybody playing a named Asgardian (Odin, Freya, Heimdall, Sif, the Warriors 3) is good. Loki returns to steal scenes again, and takes on a surprising role in this story. Natalie Portman and Kat Dennings are back and deliver fine but secondary performances. But the overall movie doesn't quite come together right. The villains lack presence, the dramatic moments don't quite land solidly, and ultimately the whole affair feels more obligatory than necessary to overall MCU storyline. However, it's possible that fans may want to revisit this movie before the 4th Thor movie comes out, as that one may build upon this movie.

I also watched Dead Presidents, a movie that I managed to overlook back in '95. It's okay but also skippable. The story is about a black Vietnam veteran who comes back to his old neighborhood after four years, and turns to crime to support his kids. Stereotypical characters abound, and bad choices eventually lead to tragic outcomes. It was nice to see Keith David in action, and this movie was probably the big breakthrough for Chris Tucker. Otherwise, Dead Presidents felt about ten years too late for America's big obsession with Vietnam veterans. Still, I am greatful for the prominent inclusion of the song Walk On By, which inspired Hooverphonic to sample it to greater effect the following year with their song 2 Wicky.

More
23 Mar 2020 21:56 #308507 by Shellhead
Vampire Circus is a Hammer horror movie with great promise, but doesn't quite deliver. The setting could almost be the same as Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter. The premise is that a village is locked down under quarantine during a plague. Then a mysterious gypsy performing troupe manages to evade the quarantine guards to get into the village. The gypsy performances are lively and somewhat disturbing, but the title already gives away the game. The movie starts strong in medias res, but that is a prologue that also sets up the final scenes. All that is good, but the lackluster performances and sloppy writing undermine the results.

More
26 Mar 2020 11:26 #308604 by dysjunct
So in all the cluster in the world these days, I missed that Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator, Dagon) died on the 24th. He was one of the few people keeping the HPL flame burning before it became ubiquitous in pop culture.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds