U
ubarose
July 31, 2020
987 0
U
ubarose
July 31, 2020
593 0
× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
16 Jun 2020 12:08 #311166 by RobertB
When it came out, Dirty Harry was the epitome of cinematic violence. These days Dirty Harry feels like it moves at the speed of a slowish police procedural like Bosch. And Shellhead is right in that it's a reaction to the previous few years of 60's/70's Real Life; 1968 is compared to 2020 for a reason. Without a smartphone in every pocket, the cops' story gets told, and most people want someone to make this crap on their TV go away.

(Sidebar question for another thread, probably: what are cop shows going to look like next year?)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2020 12:22 #311170 by Shellhead

RobertB wrote: Sidebar question for another thread, probably: what are cop shows going to look like next year?)

Great question. I have been wondering about this, too. I think that the generic procedural shows are probably going to dry up and blow away, but there is still room for more nuanced shows like The Wire and Southland and NYPD Blue.

More
17 Jun 2020 10:14 #311179 by jeb
I upgraded our TV. In a fit of consumer therapy or what have you, I replaced our 37" Toshiba 720p 2004 vintage TV with a TCL Series 6 65" 4K wall mounted monstrosity I call The Humongous.

It didn't fit on our TV table. Well, it did, but it was millimeters away on every corner of its legs from falling off. So I had to go get a mount and awl about 22 holes in my extremely strange 1968-studs-every-16"-who-does-that house to find studs the right distances apart to hang this thing. It almost didn't fit on the wall I had to off-center the wall-mount so much. Anyway, got it on there.

...and it is beautiful.

The movie to test with? SPIDER-MAN INTO THE SPIDERVERSE. It is absolutely insanely amazing looking on this TV. Netflix has 4k HDR streaming for this one and it is cinematic. I turned off all the motion smoothing bullshit (who asked for this? yikes) and just let Kingpin's pitch black suit and 10,000 energy blobs and all the Spider-Man Noir dithering wash over me. It was amazing.

Then we watched GREAT BRITISH BAKING SHOW and the kids played OVERWATCH. But man, I have an actual movie-capable TV screen now and I am psyched. Going to start shopping soundbars and what not, try to get some 5.1 going.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Msample, hotseatgames, Gregarius

More
17 Jun 2020 11:29 #311180 by Disgustipater
I watched Hereditary and Midsommar back to back. I think I preferred Hereditary due to the creepiness of it. Midsommar felt much cleaner, but ultimately more straightforward and uneventful.

jeb wrote: my extremely strange 1968-studs-every-16"-who-does-that house

What do you mean? 16” on-center is the standard, even today.

More
17 Jun 2020 13:12 #311181 by jeb
I'm actually too scared to watch HEREDITARY. It might end up on the pile of "children in danger" horror movies I want to see and can't bring myself to. Cf. THE BABADOOK, IT FOLLOWS. I saw and enjoyed LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, new SUSPIRIA, and MIDSOMMAR, so it's not universally applicable.

( Every 16" is the standard, but that's not where the studs are on this wall! Previous owners did some weird shit and this wall might be a part of all that.)

More
17 Jun 2020 13:27 #311182 by Disgustipater
If children in danger is a thing for you, I definitely wouldn’t watch Hereditary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
17 Jun 2020 13:28 - 17 Jun 2020 13:30 #311183 by Michael Barnes
Hereditary has some uniquely upsetting elements in it that I find are haunting me to this day. I prefer Midsommar in general as I think it is the more accomplished and singular film, but both are pretty great. I do hope that his next film breaks away from an established template (Rosemary's Baby and The Wicker Man) and strikes out into a new territory though.

I had never seen Red Tails, I watched it last night. What a great movie! It's a film about black excellence made by a gay black man and produced by George Lucas...yet it was derided as being "cliched" and "derivative" by critics and audiences were apparently indifferent about seeing a film showing black heroes instead of suffering. Racism is definitely a factor in the story and it is shown- one scene shows a captured Tuskeegee pilot dealing with racism in a Nazi POW camp...from American white men.

But it is really a pulpy, Enemy Ace kind of action picture with a great ensemble cast (David Oyelowo, Michael B. Jordan, METHOD MAN, etc.) that does in fact feel very much like a movie about X-Wing pilots. Indeed, the air battle scenes are really just about as good as any of the space battles in a SW movie- thrilling, beautifully photographed, and just fun to watch. The Nazis are portrayed SUPER broad - there's a German ace with a nasty facial scar that says stuff like "DIE FOOLISH AMERICANS!" as he zips around in an Me262. LOVE IT.

As for it being "cliched" or "predictable"...WTF, how many white people movies are exactly that and they get fucking academy awards? How many films are there like this about black heroes in a white man's war, showing strong virtues, morals, and courage? This is why I think the movie didn't find traction...white studios and white audiences didn't want to see this kind of black heroism, without exploitative undercurrents. I think it was kind of ahead of its time even just 8 years ago when it came out. There wasn't a Black Panther then, which was also a film bout black excellence and heroism where white people were not the central element around which the black characters orbit.

I think this film got the short stick and deserved better than it got. I can't help but wonder how it would play now in a post-Black Panther world.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2020 13:30 by Michael Barnes.

More
17 Jun 2020 14:34 - 17 Jun 2020 16:13 #311185 by ChristopherMD
Elizabeth Harvest - Modern re-imagining of the Bluebeard's Bride story that's well-acted, has some good visuals, and a good bit of mystery about character motivations. Despite recognizing the story at the start, it didn't end the way I thought it would.

Master & Commander - Watched this for the first time in many years. I always liked it and honestly think it's only gotten better with age. I really wish it didn't sink at the box office so we could have gotten some sequels.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2020 16:13 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Msample

More
17 Jun 2020 15:21 - 17 Jun 2020 15:21 #311188 by Gary Sax
I stand by the view that Master and Commander is one of the most perfect movies ever made.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2020 15:21 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ChristopherMD, Msample, Nodens, Pugnax555

More
17 Jun 2020 16:04 #311191 by RobertB
I like Hereditary much more than I do Midsommar, but I should probably watch Midsommar again.

I thought my wife would like Hereditary, but she didn't. I guess slasher movies are more her thing in the Horror genre. I insisted she watch Midsommar, knowing damn good and well that she would hate it. Gotta get my laughs where I can*. My daughter is my partner in crime for this sort of thing.

*My wife also hates beer. Not sure how she got through college TBH. Maybe she can choke down Coors or something like that. I always insist she try something I'm drinking like an IPA, just to see the look on her face. I know she's going to hate it, and she knows she's going to hate it, but I think she does it to watch me laugh. That's what love is all about. :)

More
17 Jun 2020 18:40 #311196 by dysjunct

ChristopherMD wrote: Master & Commander - Watched this for the first time in many years. I always liked it and honestly think it's only gotten better with age. I really wish it didn't sink at the box office so we could have gotten some sequels.

This is one of the few movies I still keep on DVD, and I too wish there had been sequels. It is just such a great movie. It made me want to run away to sea.

The A&E series of Hornblower movies are decent yarns but lack the core dynamic of Aubrey and Maturin's friendship.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample, Pugnax555

More
17 Jun 2020 21:40 #311202 by DarthJoJo
I hear a lot of people say nice things about Master and Commander, but I can only remember the parts that irritated me. Look how smart the doctor is! He figured out evolution long before that Darwin poser. And that one guy really was cursed and better off at the bottom of the ocean.

More
17 Jun 2020 22:52 - 18 Jun 2020 09:47 #311205 by Shellhead
Funny you folks should mention Master and Commander, as I have been thinking about it just in the last couple of days. Not because I was a big fan or anything, but just because I am pondering running an rpg set in a world with modest continents and vast oceans. I only saw Master and Commander once, and remember being vaguely dissatisfied by how the captain was so perfect and the plot seemed so contrived.

Anyway, tonight, I took one for the team. I watched City of the Living Dead (1980), in order to spare everybody else the effort. Even though I am a horror movie snob and could tell within seconds that it was going to suck, I hung in there for two reasons. The opening scene is in Dunwich, and the good guys are trying to seal seven gateways to Hell. (I wonder if Richard Launius ever saw this movie.) There are zombies, but they seem to be zombies as imagined by someone who never saw a zombie movie.

City of the Living Dead is the worst sort of horror movie. You can tell that the makers started with a brainstorming session of creepy stuff they could do on a shoestring budget. Then they connected random items from that brainstormed list with a flimsy pretext of a story. Then they rounded up a bunch of extras and gave them all speaking parts and made a few of them into main characters. Stretched out the whole tedious mess into about 90 minutes and then rolled the credits. The leads seem to be Americans, but the credits are otherwise 100% Italian names. The music is a bad and sometimes wildly inappropriate combination of prog rock and early synthwave. It's possible that you have seen a movie as bad as this, but I doubt that you have seen a movie that is worse than City of the Living Dead.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2020 09:47 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
19 Jun 2020 14:22 #311229 by jpat
We also bought a new TCL, albeit a 43" because that's the space we had to fill (replacing a 32" 720p TV). Not a massive upgrade, but this would be our secondary TV once we get back to the basement.

I'd pretty much suggest no one watch You Should Have Left, a muddled Blumhouse drama/horror movie with Kevin Bacon and Amanda Seyfried that sort of works on a visual level but lacks any thematic coherence. The kid who played the very young daughter (Avery Essex) outperformed the adults.

More
20 Jun 2020 20:38 #311247 by Andi Lennon
I berated my partner into watching 'Mazes & Monsters' on a lazy Thursday evening. It's still awesome. The phrase 'JJ what am i doing'? has entered her lexicon with a startling prevalence hahahaha

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds