October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
24 Sep 2020 12:05 #314500 by Nodens

jeb wrote:

Andi Lennon wrote: Movie list for kids without The Neverending Story????? It's almost like you don't even want them traumatised for life by a drowning horse.

Not to mention ATRAAAAYYYUUUUUUUUUUbutseriously I think this one falls in the LABYRINTH category. And that dog would fuck up the whole family for life.
  • BACK TO THE FUTURE might work. I remember the second one being gross? Anyone back* me up on this?

The second one one has his mother as an alcoholic (as opposed to 'only continously drinking') in an abusive relationship with Biff, so yes. Still all three, though.
Groundhog Day went over well the other night. As did the Blues Brothers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2020 12:38 #314506 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote: Not a single mention of Indiana Jones?

All four of my kids walked away from it. Oddly enough, they said it was too slow. When it came out it was declared a "non-stop thrill ride".

The pacing of modern films is so much faster, even the slow movies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Msample, mezike

More
24 Sep 2020 13:30 #314510 by Gregarius

jeb wrote: Making a list of movies to watch with my kids. They haven't seen shit. Please recommend good movies that a family can watch, either in Parent, Parent, Teen, Teen mode or the more complicated Parent, Parent, Teen, Teen, Tween, Tween mode. Guideposts: Marvel/LOTR movies are too violent for the tween mode. Teen mode has not yet forgiven me for making them watch LABYRINTH.

Ideas so far:
Ghostbusters
The Sting
Close Encounters
This Is Spinal Tap
Best In Show
Amelie
Insterstellar
Inception

A great but underseen one is Stardust with Robert DeNiro. It has a very strong Princess Bride vibe.

Your list is really all over the map, so it's hard to match recommendations. I did find this interesting website the other day: cinetrii.com/
You type in a title and it links to other movies that have some connection to it. Many of the connections are irrelevant (or opposite, like including a review that says "Not nearly as great as X."), but it's still fun to play with and get ideas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
24 Sep 2020 13:56 #314516 by jeb
all over the map? it does seem a little scattershot, but thinking about it:
  • Good films, don't need to be 4-star classics, but should be well-made.
  • Minimal tiddies, and if tiddies, make sure sex is funny
  • In general, "sex is funny, violence is profane" (could rule out Jackie Chan, definitely rules out HOME ALONE. Comic book/fantasy violence will go over a lot better than Mel Gibson punching someone in the face)

More
24 Sep 2020 14:11 #314518 by RobertB
How about The Magnificent Seven? The original, not the remake. Lots of 60's western gun violence, but that means just guys falling over.

And if you want to get into B&W, The Maltese Falcon is a good intro to film noir.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
24 Sep 2020 14:29 #314520 by RobertB

Sagrilarus wrote:

charlest wrote: Not a single mention of Indiana Jones?

All four of my kids walked away from it. Oddly enough, they said it was too slow. When it came out it was declared a "non-stop thrill ride".

The pacing of modern films is so much faster, even the slow movies.

If they think Raiders is slow, then you need to quit giving your kids Red Bull for breakfast. :)

Seriously, I think Raiders still holds up pretty well as far as action is concerned. Granted, I'm old.

More
24 Sep 2020 14:30 #314521 by Shellhead
I know that you said no Marvel movies, but Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is pretty amazing and family-friendly. Great animation, good story, fine cast of voice actors. Action, humor, drama, adventure.

Trailer:

The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, Ah_Pook

More
24 Sep 2020 14:35 #314523 by RobertB
Another one, that I just saw mentioned in another forum: Planet of the Apes. The original, with Charlton Heston. A little blood, but again, nothing worse than what's on TV now. You can skip the rest, unless you really like the concept.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample

More
24 Sep 2020 15:46 #314526 by jason10mm

RobertB wrote: Another one, that I just saw mentioned in another forum: Planet of the Apes. The original, with Charlton Heston. A little blood, but again, nothing worse than what's on TV now. You can skip the rest, unless you really like the concept.

I'm curious if the big reveal at the end has so entered our cultural zeitgeist that kids just know it without being aware of where it is actually from, or if they are so resigned to climate change/civilization instability that they just shrug and say "meh, it figures".

More
24 Sep 2020 15:53 #314527 by RobertB
Now I'm all stoked about jeb's Intro to American Video Media Culture, Family-Friendly Edition.

Star Trek: TOS
  • City on the Edge of Forever - maybe the best one of them all.
  • Amok Time - Spock needs to mate!
  • The Trouble With Tribbles
  • Devil in the Dark - "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"
  • Gamesters of Triskelion - "20,000 Quatloos on the newcomer!"
  • Space Seed - intro to Khan.

This gives you the history for Wrath of Khan, and lets you get the jokes in Galaxy Quest.

More
24 Sep 2020 15:56 #314528 by RobertB

jason10mm wrote:

RobertB wrote: Another one, that I just saw mentioned in another forum: Planet of the Apes. The original, with Charlton Heston. A little blood, but again, nothing worse than what's on TV now. You can skip the rest, unless you really like the concept.

I'm curious if the big reveal at the end has so entered our cultural zeitgeist that kids just know it without being aware of where it is actually from, or if they are so resigned to climate change/civilization instability that they just shrug and say "meh, it figures".

I think it's almost like Moby Dick at this point. I haven't read the book, watched the movie once, and know that Captain Ahab has an unhealthy fixation on revenge against what's basically nature.

More
24 Sep 2020 18:06 #314534 by jeb
We did watch INTO THE SPIDERVERSE and it was great. Excellent example where the violence ends up comic-book and cartoonish (for the most part), as opposed to Indy watching a guy get hacked up by a propeller.

We've gone long on Studio Ghibli, watched a baking show, Planet Earth, stuff like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
24 Sep 2020 18:47 #314537 by Andi Lennon
Seminal moments in childhood cinema history. The pinnacle:

More
24 Sep 2020 18:57 - 24 Sep 2020 19:30 #314542 by Andi Lennon
OK, if we're doing lists of kids movies *rolls up sleeves*- obviously this is going to skew mega 80's but these were my touchstones and for the most part I think they would still retain the power to enthrall:

Flash Gordon - The colours, the soundtrack, THE BORE WORMS!
The Karate Kid - Apologies in advance for the karate lessons you'll need to shell out for in it's aftermath
The Neverending Story- Similar apologies re: horse related traumas. NB: children may wind up goths.
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure- Children of all stripes have to learn that Caeser was ' a salad dressing dude' at some point
Flight of Dragons- Worth it for the haunting theme-song alone (see also Neverending Story)
Labyrinth: You might have to have 'that talk' with them afterwards. You know, the one about crotches
Back to the Beach: Bobby is nothing if not an excellent role model, plus this is about as fun as movies get. What is a Kahuna anyway?
Last edit: 24 Sep 2020 19:30 by Andi Lennon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Msample

More
24 Sep 2020 19:25 - 24 Sep 2020 19:28 #314545 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I have a 16 year old a a 14 year old so have been going through this for the last couple of years.

And I just asked my 16 year old for her big hits:
Dark City
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Lost Boys
Fury Road
Die Hard
Into the Spiderverse
Scott Pilgrim
El Mariachi
Kong Skull Island
Bettlejuice
Usual Suspects
Tank Girl
Edge of Tomorrow
Last edit: 24 Sep 2020 19:28 by Ancient_of_MuMu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Nodens, WadeMonnig

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.669 seconds