October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
25 Oct 2020 19:24 - 25 Oct 2020 19:25 #315540 by hotseatgames
This weekend I showed my girlfriend 2 older movies that she had never seen before.

Boomerang. This 1992 movie currently on Netflix is VERY 1992. It's a good film, but definitely dated. Eddie Murphy plays an advertising executive who has a reputation as a player.... until he meets Robin Givens.

10 to Midnight. 1983... wow. Watch Charles Bronson as a cop trying to catch a sexual predator who was an incel before it was trendy. It's a bad movie. Poorly acted, poorly written. But there is an interrogation scene in which Charles Bronson says "It's for jacking off, isn't it?!?"

I also have no idea why the movie is called 10 to Midnight. It has zero to do with the plot. If you have HBO Max you can wonder for yourself.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2020 19:25 by hotseatgames.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2020 20:24 #315542 by DarthJoJo
For the first time in years my wife and I just flipped channels on our little digital antennae and saw parts of three movies.

Five minutes into Spaceballs she asked, “Is this a Star Wars spoof?” Not Mel Brooks’ best, maybe because the parody was a little too restricted, but there were enough jokes and gags that you’d eventually laugh at something. I particularly appreciated the Alien/Michigan J. Frog crossover. Sounds like they even used the Looney Tunes audio.

Flipped to Bullitt over a commercial break just in time for the car chase. I know these foundational films can look dated after a few decades of imitation and inspiration, but it totally still works. Maybe even better when you know absolutely everything was real with no CG to burnish anything. They got their money’s worth out of that one green Beetle though.

Finished with the first 40 minutes of Vidyut Jamwal’s Commando 2. The plot was only just starting to kick into gear by the time I tapped out. The opening 10 minutes of action was killer though. Maybe could have lost one or two edits per stunt, but you can’t hide Jamwal’s skill. He needs to be a bigger deal in the West.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
25 Oct 2020 23:42 #315548 by Jackwraith

DarthJoJo wrote: Five minutes into Spaceballs she asked, “Is this a Star Wars spoof?” Not Mel Brooks’ best, maybe because the parody was a little too restricted, but there were enough jokes and gags that you’d eventually laugh at something. I particularly appreciated the Alien/Michigan J. Frog crossover. Sounds like they even used the Looney Tunes audio.

Had a friend in college who insisted that he didn't like Mel Brooks and wouldn't laugh at anything in Spaceballs. He made it to Pizza the Hutt before melting down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, BillyBobThwarton, DarthJoJo

More
26 Oct 2020 10:11 #315553 by Shellhead
Tried to get into the holiday mood. I struggled through a bad horror movie called The Woods (2006), which was about a boarding school for girls in a forest haunted by witches. It had squandered potential, featuring Bruce Campbell playing a minor role without humor. Agnes Bruckner showed real star potential, with a commanding presence in her every scene, and was even better a year later in Blood and Chocolate.

Last night, I finally tried Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). I had long avoided it because the main concept just didn't grab me, but I was lured in by the decent cast. Donald Sutherland, Leonard Nimoy, Jeff Goldblum, and Veronica Cartwright, who appeared a year later in Alien. The story moves along at a good pace, but the acting isn't great and Goldblum is even more annoying than usual. I thought that Margot Kidder was also in the mix, but it was actually Brooke Adams. Kidder was probably busy with Superman at that time. Anyway, the movie was okay, but it was getting late so I bailed before the last half hour. Will probably finish it tonight.

More
27 Oct 2020 11:04 #315598 by Gregarius
Wow, I can't believe you didn't stay up to finish Body Snatchers! I like that one a lot.
I love Nimoy's performance, and at least Goldblum's character is supposed to be annoying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
27 Oct 2020 15:34 #315610 by jason10mm
I've seen so many different versions of IotBS and riffs of that premise I don't even remember how the alien biology worked. Something like they cloned you and waited for you to fall asleep to replace you?

All I really recall from the 1978 version is that creepy scene when DS outs one of the other characters as a human.

Anyway, it is perineal concept. Didn't Daniel Craig do one? I think I've wiped it from my memory.

More
27 Oct 2020 16:12 #315614 by Gregarius

jason10mm wrote: Anyway, it is perineal concept. Didn't Daniel Craig do one? I think I've wiped it from my memory.

Yeah, that one's just called Invasion and it's really bad. It had some neat ideas, then the producers or somebody got scared and backed away from them. You can tell the script was heavily doctored. One of the worst things was that at the end, they managed to find a cure for the "disease." Which I guess means they just straight-up murdered all those "sick" people they were fleeing from.

More
27 Oct 2020 18:24 #315619 by Greg Aleknevicus
The 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers is the only I really like -- it's a masterpiece of paranoia. In this regard, it also rewards a second viewing: watch the backgrounds and extras, the things you don't pay any attention to during your initial viewing. There's a lot going on that you simply won't notice at first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
27 Oct 2020 19:54 #315620 by Jackwraith

Greg Aleknevicus wrote: The 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers is the only I really like -- it's a masterpiece of paranoia. In this regard, it also rewards a second viewing: watch the backgrounds and extras, the things you don't pay any attention to during your initial viewing. There's a lot going on that you simply won't notice at first.

Two names: Robert Duvall and Don Siegel.

More
27 Oct 2020 21:20 #315621 by BillyBobThwarton
I am not familiar with these movies, but I am not sure perineal is the word you are looking for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, jay718, jason10mm, hotseatgames, olsonjj25

More
27 Oct 2020 21:50 #315623 by jason10mm
Oops, autocorrect tainted my message. Meant perennial.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, RobertB, Cranberries, hotseatgames

More
28 Oct 2020 09:25 #315631 by hotseatgames
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
29 Oct 2020 18:52 - 02 Nov 2020 18:59 #315720 by Cranberries
So upon realizing that there were only three people in the Imax theater and it only cost $5.36 on discount Tuesday, I went and saw Tenet twice, wearing a double mask the first time, and then eating popcorn and wearing a single mask the second. If I see it a third time I'll probably be naked and mask-less.

As has been mentioned, the dialogue is hard to follow, which is supposedly an artistic choice. The full force Imax audio reminds me of when I saw Interstellar, which I didn't realize was a Christopher Nolan movie until I was today years old. In fact, looking at Nolan's IMDB page, he has come out with some really solid movies every three years since Memento in 2002. I don't know how he keeps it up.

So back to Tenet. The first viewing was confusing, but enjoyable. The movie is a heist/thriller/bromance/time travel mashup, and a convoluted puzzle movie like Inception. Like Inception, this movie is more about relationships (custody battles, and the friendship of the two main characters) than you would think at first viewing. It's the kind of movie you see so you can drop into Reddit and ask about finer points (like "what just happened") and toss out bizarre theories, so there's that. I don't know that solving puzzles necessarily makes for a great movie in and of itself. Does it really matter if that spinning top falls over in Inception? In that sense, the relationships in this movie aren't as engaging as in some of Nolan's other films. My oldest son said, "I think this was just an excuse for Nolan to show off some amazing set pieces".
Warning: Spoiler!

Have you ever clasped your hands and twiddled your thumbs? Then, have you tried to make one thumb rotate clockwise while the other thumb moved counterclockwise? As a youngster I figured this out sitting in Mormon sacrament meeting, and was so pleased with myself that I promptly showed everyone I knew, and nobody cared. There's an element of this in the movie Tenet. Nolan has put together something really clever, but emotionally it doesn't resonate as much for me. Maybe it should, and I was just distracted by the technique on display. Still, I don't regret watching it twice. Maybe the third time will be a DVD with subtitles. But maybe that was Nolan's fiendish plan all along.

Nolan's use of sound

Spoilers galore in the Guardian

I just realized that I saw the Tenet prologue before I saw The Rise of Skywalker back in December, the before times. It's worth watching if you can dig it up, and won't spoil the movie because it is the first seven minutes of the movie, if that makes any sense.

One more thing: I had forgotten how engaging everyone is on here when they're writing about books, movies and games, especially. It's some of the most interesting writing I come across, even when you're justifying Battletech novels.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2020 18:59 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, mezike, jason10mm, Nodens

More
29 Oct 2020 23:00 #315731 by DarthJoJo
Welp. Kill Bill Vol. 1 is pretty different on cable. Buck came to party, and he rides the Party Wagon. But his head is still crushed in the door though they cut that extra little foot twitch. Tramps did it to her and a jerk was responsible. They cut to commercial after she wiggles her big toe.

This is amazing.

More
30 Oct 2020 09:09 #315744 by jason10mm
I can only imagine the challenge of sanitizing a Tarantino film. An editor screaming to an intern "We need more swear word BEEPS! Get me more BEEPS! How could we possibly run out of BEEPS!? And the film is only half over! "

Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight on netflix. Polish slasher film. It is SO derivative and by the book that if there was any unique polish inspiration it was lost. Essentially a Friday the 13th type film it hits all the notes. Weird horror monster origin, lots of odd creepy hillbilly equivalents, sex is fatally punished, folks get hunted down and slaughtered by things that seem to barely move. It does eschew most jump scares which really just lays bare how jaded I've become to these types of film unless they go BATSHIT INSANE at some point, which this one doesn't do. Still, it has some good gore, decent monster effects, and enough emotional connection to characters that I didn't actively wish them to be killed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.641 seconds