October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
24 Jan 2021 22:30 #318328 by jason10mm
Fun fact, IIRC Gina was dubbed for that film. Or was just auto tuned. Like everything these days there are multiple versions.

I think Gina has better acting chops than Ronda Rousey. It would be nice if one of these ladies took up the mantle from Cynthia Rothrock and became a regular action star (western lady at least).

I still hold out hope that one day Hollywood will cast a female super hero with a physique that matches the males, but that is always a faint hope rarely satisfied.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2021 11:53 #318331 by jeb
She's on THE MANDALORIAN, kicking STAR WARS ass, so she's the one, basically.

I also rewatched HAYWIRE recently. It's... ~fine~. Very disjointed. She can't carry drama between the cool fight scenes. Between DEADPOOL and Mando stuff, I think she's gotten better. Too bad about the nonsense Tweets, but review-bombing is so intensely dumb it kind of boggles my mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
29 Jan 2021 00:25 #318513 by hotseatgames
Over the last two days I watched the only films in the Aliens and/or Predator series that I had not seen... both AvP films.

In short, they suck. The first one is DUMB, and I say that knowing it would be dumb. It exceeded my expectations. At least the xenomorphs looked cool, including the Queen.

The second film takes off directly at the end of the first film, which surprised me. Unfortunately, where the first film at least tried to have a story and a reason for the nonsense, the sequel makes no effort at this at all. It is a series of set pieces, with bad acting all around. The only redeeming quality is that they will kill ANY character in this film, no matter how important or taboo you think they might be.

Having now seen the entire set, these are the only ones worth your time, if you are so inclined and actually haven't already seen them:

Alien
Aliens
Predator
Prometheus (weakest of the ones I've listed, but it isn't bad)

More
29 Jan 2021 00:47 #318516 by RobertB
I'd swap Predator 2 for Prometheus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turek, Msample, jason10mm

More
30 Jan 2021 21:54 #318595 by jason10mm
I don't get why a decent Predator/Alien film is so hard. All this stuff has been mapped out in the comics! Predator 3, The Predator, whatever that recent Shane Black atrocity was just illustrates that even the OG guys have lost the thread. Ridley Scott is way out there, just look at Raised by Wolves.

This franchise needs a hard reset with a Filoni/Faverau enthusiast to carry it on. Maybe even a TV show at this point. Something like the Expanse but with actual aliens???
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
30 Jan 2021 21:58 #318597 by Disgustipater

jason10mm wrote: I don't get why a decent Predator/Alien film is so hard.

Because they always need to add a human element because...who knows? All you need is a predator fucking up aliens. They won't do it though.

More
30 Jan 2021 22:02 #318598 by Shellhead
I finally watched Lost in Translation, and it did not disappoint. It is amazing to me how Bill Murray can play a fairly limited range of characters in so many movies, yet deliver such depth and nuance within that range. And it isn't like a single director (say Wes Anderson) is getting all these great performances, though he did get a thank you in the credits to Lost in Translation. Scarlet Johannson was also great. I remember seeing her in an earlier movie, Ghost World, but Lost in Translation seems like it was her big break.

More
31 Jan 2021 11:22 #318616 by hotseatgames
Watched The Little Things on HBO. This has Denzel Washington and Rami Malek trying to solve a string of murders. They suspect Jared Leto's character. It unfolds like a cross between True Detective and Seven. Very enjoyable.

Also showed my girlfriend Point Break, which she had somehow never seen. I love this dumb movie. Every time she would bring up something that betrays the film's "logic", I would say "that's not how you Point Break." :D

More
31 Jan 2021 11:57 - 31 Jan 2021 11:59 #318617 by Msample

hotseatgames wrote:
Also showed my girlfriend Point Break, which she had somehow never seen. I love this dumb movie. Every time she would bring up something that betrays the film's "logic", I would say "that's not how you Point Break." :D

I take it you mean the original, and not the utterly bland recent remake. The latter was basically a 2 hour Red Bull video, with everything shot thru a blue filter lens. The Swayze character in the remake has about as much personality as a corpse.

Total steaming pile.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2021 11:59 by Msample.

More
31 Jan 2021 12:30 #318618 by hotseatgames
Yes, the original. I have not seen the remake, but I do remember being highly offended when I saw that it was going to exist.

More
31 Jan 2021 21:02 #318623 by Shellhead
Just watched The Silencing (2019), a dark, tense thriller about a cop, a game warden, and a serial killer. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Annabelle Wallis are the stars, but this is definitely not a buddy movie. Most of you will know Coster-Waldau, as he played Jaime Lannister in Games of Thrones. I don't recognize Annabelle Wallis from anything, but she delivers a solid performance and makes up for her lack of stature with hard cop eyes. Much of the movie hangs on a single unbelievably bad decision by a character, but it is well worth watching anyway. Reminded me of Winter's Bone at times, though the setting in this case is northern Minnesota.

More
01 Feb 2021 05:19 #318635 by Turek

jason10mm wrote: This franchise needs a hard reset with a Filoni/Faverau enthusiast to carry it on. Maybe even a TV show at this point. Something like the Expanse but with actual aliens???

its currently being made
ew.com/tv/fx-alien-tv-series/
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, Nodens

More
01 Feb 2021 06:10 #318640 by Nodens

Turek wrote:

jason10mm wrote: This franchise needs a hard reset with a Filoni/Faverau enthusiast to carry it on. Maybe even a TV show at this point. Something like the Expanse but with actual aliens???

its currently being made
ew.com/tv/fx-alien-tv-series/

When I read 'Noah Hawley' I was suddenly REALLY interested in this.

More
01 Feb 2021 11:02 #318647 by jason10mm

hotseatgames wrote: Watched The Little Things on HBO. This has Denzel Washington and Rami Malek trying to solve a string of murders. They suspect Jared Leto's character. It unfolds like a cross between True Detective and Seven. Very enjoyable.

Ugh, I had the opposite reaction. This was all muted performances and long lingering shots with ZERO payoff.

This was season TWO of True Detective mixed with a really bad pseudo-noir version of Black Dahlia.

More
01 Feb 2021 14:20 #318660 by RobertB
The Little Things - I'm kind of with Jason10mm on this one. Denzel Washington has that Wise Old Cop thing down pat now, Jared Leto chewed the scenery just fine, and Rami Malek (had to look that up) was sufficiently high-strung. The main cast was good, but the movie as a whole was kind of meh.

I also watched The Dig this weekend. It was kind of a calm sort of drama; nobody gets shot, and the good guys sort of win. It plays a little loose with "Based on a True Story," but that's kind of expected. Nothing about it is going to win an Oscar, but I got the mild enjoyment out of it that it was shooting for.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.661 seconds