October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
16 Feb 2021 13:25 #319249 by Gregarius
I rented The Painter and the Thief last night on Amazon. I had been hearing nothing but great things about it for all of last year, so I finally made a point of watching it. It totally lived up to the hype.

It's set in Oslo, but most of the film is in English. It's a documentary about a painter who wants to meet the man who stole her paintings. They end up having a deep and profound impact on each other. It's not as simple as "they aren't who they seem," but you learn that he is much more than a drug-addicted criminal and that her artist life isn't as glamorous as one might think. There are many twists in the story, some predictable and some not, that make it hard to believe it wasn't a scripted story. Highly recommended.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2021 14:18 #319252 by hotseatgames
I finally got around to seeing 1917, the 2019 World War I epic. This movie is amazing! Everything that happens is captured so realistically, it must have been a nightmare to create. The final shot of the soldier running at the camera across the battlefield is truly incredible.

If war movies interest you at all, you should watch this one. Probably even if you just like history or drama... the story told here is very encapsulated and intimate. Most of the time there is only one or two actors in any given scene.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Cranberries, Msample, jason10mm, sornars, charlest

More
17 Feb 2021 14:06 #319279 by Cranberries
I started watching Almost Famous last night on Amazon Prime, throught IMDB movies, which show ads. We have returned to the network TV model, except everything is on-demand. I told myself I would just watch 20 minutes and go to sleep, but of course I stayed for the entire show. If you don't love this movie, I give you permission to not respond to this thread but instead contemplate at what point you ceased to be fully human. I kid. It's a pretty good show that I love for idiosyncratic reasons. I was struck by how good all the supporting actors were this time around. Frances McDormand and Zoey Deschanel were just great. I empathize so much with that worried mom now. All the minor characters just did a fine job. Watching Philip Seymour Hoffman made me sad. Even Jason Lee, as the miffed lead singer did a fine job. It's a sweet and sad movie, and avoids being too sweet, for the most part. In a way it's a plea for the kind of honesty and authenticity that, as a male in his fifties, I can only look back on with fondness and a twinge of regret.

“The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.”

― Lester Bangs, on what should be the motto of TWBG

*I attempted to add gifs and broke something. I then attempted to insert an image and it did not work. Just Google "almost famous memes -pinterest" and click on the ones you find amusing.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, hotseatgames

More
17 Feb 2021 14:11 #319280 by ChristopherMD
I started watching 1917 last night. Had to take a break because the way the camera follows the main dude(s) is exactly how the camera follows the guy you're controlling in a video game. So it feels like watching someone play a WWI video game. I'll finish it up at some point but it's not my kind of thing I guess.

More
21 Feb 2021 13:15 #319418 by Ah_Pook
Wife and I have been slowly rewatching all the marvel movies on Disney+, and we watched Civil War last night. I think this was the only Marvel movie left that I hadn't seen, and it was okay I guess. The whole Civil War storyline kind of annoys me, so I was already predisposed to not be into this one. It was overly long, overly dramatic/serious, and I just couldn't care less about superheroes gettin sad and punching each other about it. Main takeaway: I want to watch the Spiderman movies again, as Tom Holland lit up the scenes he was in.

More
21 Feb 2021 13:25 #319419 by hotseatgames
I watched I Care a Lot on Netflix. This is a story about a woman who makes her living by getting assigned as legal guardian for wealthy elderly. She does this through manipulation and backroom deals, and is extremely detestable.

Then she tries her grift on the wrong person...

I found this movie entertaining, even as I kept hoping for the main character to get her comeuppance. Bonus points for Peter Dinklage.

More
21 Feb 2021 14:01 #319420 by Disgustipater

hotseatgames wrote: I watched I Care a Lot on Netflix.

We watched this last night and kept asking, "Who exactly are we supposed to be rooting for?" We also kept up hope for Marla to get what she deserved. Peter Dinklage was the victim here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
21 Feb 2021 15:38 #319423 by Shellhead
When I was a kid, I watched a swashbuckling movie that made a curiously strong impression on me. I can still vividly recall certain scenes, and I remember that Michael York was the star. Last night, I thought that I had the chance to finally re-watch that movie via Amazon Prime. But the scenes that I expected to see never materialized, as it turns out that I originally saw the sequel, The Four Musketeers.

The Three Musketeers (1973) is quite unlike any other version that you may have seen. It follows the original book to an unusual degree, according to the internet, but I take that on faith as I haven't read the original work by Alexandre Dumas. The tone is intermittently serious, but largely played as a farce. There is a silly number of situations where people fall down, and every combat seems to involve drunkenly incompetent combatants, though not explicitly drunk due to any onscreen drinking. If you ran a role-playing game based directly on this movie, you would need a system that called for fumbles and critical failures about 25% of the time, as well as critical successes maybe 10% of the time.

That said, the sets, costumes, and overall commitment to the setting is very impressive. And this cast is loaded with talent, including Michael York, Oliver Reed, Richard Chamberlain, Charlton Heston, Faye Dunaway, Christopher Lee, Raquel Welch, and Sybil Danning. Welch won a Golden Globe for her role. The sequel that I remember was possibly filmed at the same time, and released just one year later. And today I learned that there was a second sequel in 1989 (The Return of the Musketeers), featuring much of the same cast, and loosely based on Dumas' sequel book, Twenty Years After.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jason10mm, Nodens

More
21 Feb 2021 15:53 #319425 by Gary Sax
The written three musketeers and sequels are incredible for a lot of reasons, but one of them is really impressing upon the reader pre-20th century moral and social codes while still being genuine fun.

More
22 Feb 2021 10:21 - 22 Feb 2021 10:22 #319440 by ChristopherMD
The Florida Project - Follows the daily lives of some residents and an employee who live in motels near Disney. Scripted not documentary. Mostly the movie follows the children around being wild and free. Willem Dafoe disappears into his role and probably should have won an award of some kind if he didn't. Some residents are clearly people just struggling and trying to climb out of the hole they're in and others, mainly tattoo mom, seemingly gave up and settled into that life.
As someone who doesn't ignore the levels of poverty in America I do feel that as awful as their lives are they're sugarcoated in the movie. You can even read articles about the motels in the movie that have families living in them with no power or running water. It's also not just a Florida problem and it is getting worse all over.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2021 10:22 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
22 Feb 2021 11:01 #319442 by Jackwraith
It's an excellent film and they don't make the biggest mistake that they could have, which is to draw a blatant comparison with living on the edge of the Magic Kingdom. It's all just there for the viewers to absorb. Dafoe was nominated for Best Supporting, but lost to Sam Rockwell for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
22 Feb 2021 12:33 #319459 by jeb
Rewatching things of late.

Watched OCEAN'S 11 (Clooney/Pitt) with my elder two. My son bailed, but my daughter really liked it. It's so damn stylish, even if things don't make tons of sense. That's movie-magic!

SHUTTER ISLAND, Scorsese's take on THE NINTH CONFIGURATION. DiCaprio is kind of a mess in this one, and the gumshoe angle is not really well carried, but maybe that's because (SPOILERS SPOILERS). It's good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
22 Feb 2021 15:12 #319467 by Jexik
SHUTTER ISLAND is one that I'd like to see again and know if it holds up even knowing the spoiler.

I used to make every new (girl)friend watch Memento as a rite of passage, but now after about 10 viewings I don't want to see it again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
22 Feb 2021 16:58 #319475 by Shellhead
I really liked Shutter Island, but didn't quite love it. The pacing drags to a crawl whenever Michelle Williams is on screen, but I liked the overall visual style of the movie.

My favorite moment:

Warden: If I was to sink my teeth into your eye right now, would you be able to stop me before I blinded you?

Teddy Daniels: Give it a try.

Warden: That's the spirit.

More
22 Feb 2021 18:40 #319485 by charlest
Yeah I really dig Shutter Island, as well as every other film Scorcese and Dicaprio worked together on.

My favorite bit is the very end, the discussion that takes place on the steps. Thought the twist there was pretty wild.

Also really enjoy Ben Kingsley's performance. The bit where he moves his hands explaining how the woman vanished is striking.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.589 seconds