October 09, 2023
2426 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2633 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
05 Mar 2021 17:08 #320136 by jason10mm
I don't know why the MCU never really took much from the Incredibles. So many of the fights were just straight up punchy punch blasty blast, very little of the inventive environment usage seen in the Incredibles.

Limitation of live action film schedules? Just a Brad Bird thing? Some creative limitation placed on TI due to having kids in the film and a need to tone down direct violence?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2021 17:52 #320137 by Hatchling
Ack! I after reading jason10mm's post i saw the trailer and holy eff that character sounds more terrible than i can handle...which is why i will likely watch it. Goddam makes me so angry lol!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
05 Mar 2021 21:00 - 06 Mar 2021 08:45 #320143 by Hatchling
I just saw I Care A Lot and though I can respect the storytelling in the film, I hated it with every fiber in my being for its content.

Solid acting and all that, but the subject matter is utterly repulsive. It's a perfect film for anyone who wants to do a deep dive into the sociopathic fantasy life that sees the elderly objects of plunder, and whose lives are worthless and worth discarding if it means turning a profit.

EDIT: after chatting w friends who pointed out ways to see the humour, I'm kinda seeing it now, and not feeling as dramatic about all lol. Thank you for tuning in to my stream of consciousness this fine evening!
Last edit: 06 Mar 2021 08:45 by Hatchling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, hotseatgames

More
05 Mar 2021 21:11 - 05 Mar 2021 21:12 #320145 by Msample
Watched COMING 2 AMERICA, the sequel to the last of the great 80s Eddie Murphy movies . I mean after that his IMDB CV is just a long list of "WTF" for .....years.

Anyway, its perfectly serviceable if you liked the original. Its amusing to see how many of the original cast were brought back - other than a few who have passed away, just about everyone I can think of other than Samuel Jackson's stick up guy and Eric LaSalle's jerry curl mogul. New are Wesley Snipes as a caricature African dictator and the new ....relatives.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2021 21:12 by Msample.

More
06 Mar 2021 01:18 #320154 by jason10mm
Damn, at least you got it to work. Amazon servers crashed hard when i tried.

Moxie was a good rec, i enjoyed it. Might not be this gens Heathers but it definitely brought back all the hell that is high school for me, though i identify more with the parents and teachers these days. It kinda threw everything out there but Poeler tightened it back up in the end well enough.

More
06 Mar 2021 10:13 #320158 by hotseatgames
I started Coming to America 2, but oof.... it's pretty groan-worthy. Not sure I'll make it through that one. Maybe I'll fast-forward to Randy Watson and call it a day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
06 Mar 2021 11:06 - 06 Mar 2021 11:07 #320159 by ChristopherMD
Coming 2 America - Started last night and finished this morning. It's too fucking long and they only spend like ten minutes in America. I enjoyed the musical numbers but that enjoyment crashes whenever the new family are on screen. Wesley Snipes stole every scene he was in, imo. If they put his General character in Queens for a movie it would have been comedy gold. Instead we got whatever this was. Had its moments but nothing to get excited about.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2021 11:07 by ChristopherMD.

More
07 Mar 2021 11:29 - 07 Mar 2021 11:43 #320187 by Shellhead
I am joining the online boycott of Amazon for a week, starting today. So I watched a bunch of stuff on Amazon Prime yesterday, including a couple of yakuza movies starring actor/director/comedian Beat Takeshi. You may have seen him in Battle Royale or Johnny Mnemonic, but he is a big deal in Japan.

Prime didn't have the original movie in the trilogy, Outrage (2010), so I started with Beyond Outrage (2012). It's all clean-cut gangsters in dark business suits, with just two women with speaking parts in the whole movie. Oh and there are few cops, including a corrupt cop. The first hour is lots of talking, establishing the precarious negotiated peace between some yakuza crime families. A notorious gangster at the center of the action in the first movie gets released from prison, and that destabilizes everything, leading to a second hour of gunplay. Most of the action is well-coordinated ambushes and executions, so it all feels more choreographed than exciting.

Then I watched Outrage Coda (2017), and it is frankly more of the same. Both movies have a few riveting moments, but could have benefited from less talking in the first half, and more variety in the action in the second half.
Last edit: 07 Mar 2021 11:43 by Shellhead.

More
07 Mar 2021 12:57 #320189 by jason10mm
Whats the boycott about?

I do like Beat, never knew he was a comedian, ive only seen him doing drama or dark comedy roles.

In that case wait a week or look elsewhere, but Freaky is a great film. Its "freaky friday" with a Jason Vorhees like Vince Vaughn who switches bodies with a socially awkward teen girl. Murder ensues! Has a wicked grim humor and actually hits on many of the same themes as Moxie, they echo each other quite a bit, Freaky actually goes a bit farther in a few cases. Anyway, if you want to watch a high school film about feminism, fighting sexism, and coming out of your shell but with 100% more serial killing and decapitations, Freaky is the film for you!

More
07 Mar 2021 13:01 #320190 by ChristopherMD
Dolemite Is My Name - So I ended up doing an Eddie Murphy double-feature yesterday. First time I've watched new Murphy movies since Bowfinger 20 years ago. Had really no idea what the movie was even about beforehand. It was definitely the better film and a better vehicle for Murphy to do some acting. C2A will be forgotten this time next year but Dolemite will be fucking motherfuckers up for a long time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, jason10mm

More
07 Mar 2021 13:04 #320191 by hotseatgames
Dolemite is my Name is great. And Coming to America 2 SUCKS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
07 Mar 2021 13:13 #320192 by Shellhead

jason10mm wrote: Whats the boycott about?

The one-week Amazon boycott is to show support for the unionization effort. I have been in a union but have mixed feelings about unions. I support the Amazon union effort because Amazon treats their employees badly and it appears that a union will be necessary to advocate for employee rights.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, jason10mm

More
07 Mar 2021 13:45 #320193 by Msample
Unions are great in principle, but too often ( UAW , police unions ) they breed corruption and wield disproportionate amounts of power.

More
07 Mar 2021 14:33 #320194 by WadeMonnig

hotseatgames wrote: Dolemite is my Name is great.

Me: Schooly D is fucking amazing. Signifying Rapper is the jam!
30 odd years later: Watches Dolemite...wtf

More
07 Mar 2021 14:53 #320195 by Jackwraith

Msample wrote: Unions are great in principle, but too often ( UAW , police unions ) they breed corruption and wield disproportionate amounts of power.

Totally off-topic, but this is an American myth. When Volkswagen wanted to set up a factory in Tennessee a few years back, they actively wanted a union, because it made relations with the employees better and made the workforce more productive because people were more confident that they were getting a square deal. The Tennessee legislature tried passing laws against it and the state made it much more difficult to organize, so the workers lost the vote. Many nations other than the US have strong union presence for the same reason that Volkswagen wanted one and because their populations haven't been taught that workers being able to negotiate with their employers is somehow a bad thing. However, municipal unions, like police, are a very different animal. That said, I'd still be in favor for all of the obvious reasons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Sagrilarus, mezike, Nodens, WadeMonnig

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.652 seconds