October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
07 Mar 2021 16:53 #320200 by Shellhead
Most unions function as advocates for workers rights, like decent wages and benefits, overtime pay, reasonable hours, and safety. Police unions seem to be overly focused on deflecting accountability for police misconduct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718, Hatchling, Ancient_of_MuMu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2021 17:46 #320201 by jason10mm
Im mixed on unions as well. I think a lot of the early union issues have been codifed into law at this point (working hours, occupational safety, payment and benefits, etc) to the point that the union i deal with mostly exists to take money from employees and make it take a month for someone to be able to move their desk instead of 20 minutes.

But professional unions that gatekeep their member quality are awesome because then i know that the union plumber i hire for my remodel knows their stuff and didn't just watch some youtube videos and hang their shingle.

Im also mixed on amazon as well, despite being a somewhat reluctant prime owner.

Think i can find some stuff on netflix this week....

More
07 Mar 2021 19:18 - 07 Mar 2021 19:19 #320205 by ChristopherMD
I can't imagine anyone rage-quitting the site over a union thread. Can we split this off?
Last edit: 07 Mar 2021 19:19 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
07 Mar 2021 20:02 #320207 by Greg Aleknevicus
Anyone who thinks that unions (i.e., workers) have too much power in the current economic environment have purposely buried their head in the sand.

jason10mm wrote: ... the union i deal with mostly exists to take money from employees...

The power of established unions is not in what they do, but in what they prevent.

More
07 Mar 2021 21:35 #320209 by Msample

ChristopherMD wrote: I can't imagine anyone rage-quitting the site over a union thread. Can we split this off?

Sorry I mentioned it. Just let it die.

More
08 Mar 2021 10:44 #320227 by jeb
Everyone caught that NORMA RAE/MATEWAN double-bill!

As the non plus ultra of thread derailing, I expect to be PM'd about these things before they play out, come on.

Anyway, I also saw I CARE A LOT and it is infuriating and mean in a deeply American way. It is just so deeply cynical about ... everything. It's like GET OUT's mood without the charm. Horrible people doing horrible things to other people and each other. There's no one to like here, contrast to FARGO, which also has this mean streak about everything. The score/music is amazing, though. Like, I added two tracks to my playlists, which is curated within an inch of its life. The performances are excellent, but to my thinking Weist is a little too doddering to be what she is in the story. I also want to send kudos to the hair/makeup crew, everything there is flawless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hatchling, jason10mm

More
08 Mar 2021 11:21 - 08 Mar 2021 11:24 #320229 by charlest
Yeah I thought I Care a Lot was terrible cinema with nothing to offer. The ending, well the first part of the ending not the final moment, was aggravating and I don't think the overall film did much with its premise.

The soundtrack was indeed interesting, one of the final montage pieces kept reminding me of Blade runner 2049.

Edit - probably the greatest element of interest to me was seeing Macon Blair, who I recently was stunned by in Blue Ruin when I first watched that a few months ago.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2021 11:24 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
08 Mar 2021 11:46 #320230 by Jackwraith
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, jason10mm

More
08 Mar 2021 12:58 #320232 by jason10mm
Thats a good summation and echos a lot of my thoughts. I liked the film because the script was sharp and for the most part kept Martha winning through her own wit and skill rather than just blind acceptance of others (though i gotta think a running gun battle through a nursing home would prompt some investigations...)

I went in expecting "Taken" or "Home Alone" with an old lady dueling her 'captor' or somesuch. This film ain't that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
08 Mar 2021 13:43 #320234 by Gary Sax
I can't watch or read that kind of shit anymore, and a lot of it is very well made. I know that the world is a grinding evil place filled with cruel people tipping toward climate catastrophe, can't imagine spending more cycles on that kind of thing than I already do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Nodens

More
08 Mar 2021 20:47 #320247 by jason10mm
If you want a nice family friendly palate cleanser i highly recommend The One and Only Ivan on D+. Very nice little story about a gorilla raised in a strip mall zoo (how was this even a thing?!?!) who learned to paint. Has a KILLER voice cast, i could only dream of Rockwell, Devito, Mirren, and Jolie acting along side Cranston in all live action.

Made my kids cheer and cry quite a bit. Barnes, if he grew up in Atlanta, might remember Ivan. I think i recall stories of him as well.

The little girl in the film, who i thought MUST be a daughter or niece of Dwayne Johnson but my wife says she isnt, is also in Love and Monsters which is a pretty charming coming of age film about a painfully PTSDd young man searching for his first (and only) love in the giant bug apocalypse. It has the plot you'd expect with a few twists. Every awkward boy has been there. Michael Rooker as a grizzled survivor and the aforementioned little girl as his protégé steal the film. It is chock full of weird stuff, to include near sentient dogs and joyful but morose robots of all things. It doesn't quite stick the landing but it is a fun ride. It also has Jessica Henwick, nice to see that Iron Fist hasn't taken her down with it.

More
14 Mar 2021 18:38 #320562 by hotseatgames
I love John Carpenter's work. The Thing is one of my favorite films of all time. One of his films I had never seen is Assault on Precinct 13, from 1976. We saw that it was on HBO Max, along with the 2005 remake. We watched both of them back to back.

The first film doesn't feature big name actors, but has that trademark Carpenter score. It's not a great film, but watchable.

The remake, NOT directed by Carpenter, is loaded with stars. Unfortunately, none of them have anything good to say, and the film is pretty weak. It shares a general plot and a title with the original, but not a lot else. There are a few nods to the original but they definitely don't spoil each other.

Final verdict... neither film is good, but the Carpenter original is superior.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, jason10mm, DarthJoJo

More
14 Mar 2021 19:34 #320564 by jason10mm
Oh, oh, do The Fog next!

The Thing 2011 is more of a prequel. Carpenter did his own subpar sequel with Escape from LA..

If they ever try to remake Prince of Darkness I'm gonna riot!

Though if it was set in the dark future showing the attempt to change the past.....maybe. Just do it now while Alice Cooper is still around...and the radiologist with glasses :p

I watched Death of Me on netflix. Kind of a weird blend of supernatural/cult/religious film. When you put Maggie Q (of La Femme Nikita fame, no, the american one, no the tv series :) and a Hemsworth in a film (no idea if this Hemsworth is related to Chris and Mr. Miley Cyrus but im sure he is) i expect a lot of ass kicking but this is more of a horror film vibe so despite being literally twice the size as anyone else in the film it has very little action (but what it does is very shocking).

I'd say it is a thai version of Midsommar mixed with The Wicker Man but it is much more surreal and supernatural than those films. It has a really nice scene where some thai folks are asking Maggie where she is from, clearly expecting her to be from an asian country. She responds "I'm american!" and they immediately dismiss her and start speaking in thai with no concern that she might understand what they are saying. I've dated several BIPOC women including my wife and seen this very scene play out several times. Brings to mind the seinfeld episode with costanzas dad and the korean nail salon :p

More
14 Mar 2021 19:52 #320565 by ChristopherMD

jason10mm wrote: Oh, oh, do The Fog next!

Final verdict... neither film is good, but the Carpenter original is superior.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, hotseatgames

More
14 Mar 2021 20:23 #320566 by jason10mm
I actually gotta think a bit to come up with a BAD JC film. Ghosts of Mars maybe? Been a long while since ive seen it, def worth a rewatch. Ii liked Vampire$. Surely there are some more recent films im just forgetting and i dont know that im totally familiar with his real early work if he had stuff before P13.

So a quick stroll through IMDB, damn that guy had a stellar run! Christine is definitely prime for a revisit IMHO and They Live, more relevant today than when it was made!!!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.744 seconds